Millar on Anita Marks

JTrea81

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to this at work. Couple things that have not been mentioned as yet.

First, Marks intro’d Millar and asked specifically about the first-pitch-throwing only. She made it sound like O’s fans are all up in arms about that incident only. Fortunately, Roch later brought up the promo thing.

Second, Millar at one point stated “I’m not a Red Sox” fan. (That’s for all you folks who justified this as he’s OK for doing this in the off-season capacity of “fan.”)

Third, Millar started out the interview fairly calm (for him, LOL). The more they talked about how things transpired, the more “ranty” (for lack of a better term) he became. When talking about how this is not really a big deal, he mentioned that people are conditioned to think negatively (and somehow attempted to tie the wildfires in SoCal into “thinking negatively”). I was confused. :confused:

Here’s my big issue with this “explanation” of Millar’s.

Where does Pedro factor into the comeback rally? He started that game? Uhhhhh, no. He came in from the ‘pen and got the win in relief? Wrong again. ALDS MVP? Nope. I know……WS MVP. Nope.

I understand the premise. But, I don’t understand how someone who was not a direct part of that rally was also invited (but his club declined on his behalf).

I slightly doubt this explanation. I don’t know if this is Millar’s own explanation/justification or this Millar-Roberts-Mueller angle is what was conveyed to him by the Red Sox brass. And, frankly, I’m disappointed that neither Marks nor Roch picked up on this Pedro discrepancy.

That being said, I'm weary of all of this. I still feel like this was an embarrassment to the Orioles organization. Furthermore, as an Orioles fan, I was not pleased to see any aspect of this (the promo, the line-up announcing, and the first-pitch). But, what's done is done.

Witchy

First, Marks intro’d Millar and asked specifically about the first-pitch-throwing only. She made it sound like O’s fans are all up in arms about that incident only. Fortunately, Roch later brought up the promo thing.

Second, Millar at one point stated “I’m not a Red Sox” fan. (That’s for all you folks who justified this as he’s OK for doing this in the off-season capacity of “fan.”)

Third, Millar started out the interview fairly calm (for him, LOL). The more they talked about how things transpired, the more “ranty” (for lack of a better term) he became. When talking about how this is not really a big deal, he mentioned that people are conditioned to think negatively (and somehow attempted to tie the wildfires in SoCal into “thinking negatively”). I was confused. :confused:

Where does Pedro factor into the comeback rally? He started that game? Uhhhhh, no. He came in from the ‘pen and got the win in relief? Wrong again. ALDS MVP? Nope. I know……WS MVP. Nope.

I understand the premise. But, I don’t understand how someone who was not a direct part of that rally was also invited (but his club declined on his behalf).

I slightly doubt this explanation. I don’t know if this is Millar’s own explanation/justification or this Millar-Roberts-Mueller angle is what was conveyed to him by the Red Sox brass. And, frankly, I’m disappointed that neither Marks nor Roch picked up on this Pedro discrepancy.

That being said, I'm weary of all of this. I still feel like this was an embarrassment to the Orioles organization. Furthermore, as an Orioles fan, I was not pleased to see any aspect of this (the promo, the line-up announcing, and the first-pitch). But, what's done is done.

Witchy

Regarding Pedro, Steve Davis asked him that last night, and Millar said he had no idea how Pedro would've fit in, and didn't really care. He wasn't snappy, per se, but you could tell that it was far from comfortable for him.

Davis followed that asking about Johnny Damon, and Millar dismissed it saying all he was told about was the angle featuring himself, Roberts, and Mueller. He made a point to mention how it was a bit odd, but felt it was an honor to be asked. And that he asked McPhail a second time even after being told by Lucchino that permission from the O's was established.

I still say it's Much Ado about Nothing, but I think Millar isn't handling it now as well as he could. He should at least acknowledge the fans that were upset somehow. I don't think he needs to apologize, but at least say he understands how it may have rubbed some the wrong way.

That's particularly odd considering that she did bring up the promo just yesterday with Brian Roberts, who didn't seem to be aware of that part of the issue despite have talked to Millar on the phone about the first pitch the night before, and he seemed a little taken aback by it and said, "referring to them as we might be a little different." Does her memory not last 24 hours?

I think that bugs me more than the initial incident. So many players just don't understand that their job is to entertain the fans. You get paid, essentially, to make fans of your team happy. Mainly by playing well and contributing to wins, but also by doing little off the field things that allow them to enjoy having you on their team --- or at least not doing things to cause them distress. If you do something that offends your fans without realizing it, you should at least be a little contrite instead of railing against the idea that the people who support your luxurious lifestyle are entitled to an opinion about your baseball-related public activities. He doesn't have to say the fans are right, but he shouldn't be disrespectful to them.

That's particularly odd considering that she did bring up the promo just yesterday with Brian Roberts, who didn't seem to be aware of that part of the issue despite have talked to Millar on the phone about the first pitch the night before, and he seemed a little taken aback by it and said, "referring to them as we might be a little different." Does her memory not last 24 hours?

She's a hot button host. She probably heard callers or the general uproar focusing on the first pitch and zeroed in on that as if that alone was the cause of the uproar.

She's also not beyond doing things specifically to get people riled up or eager to call in.

She's a hot button host. She probably heard callers or the general uproar focusing on the first pitch and zeroed in on that as if that alone was the cause of the uproar.

She's also not beyond doing things specifically to get people riled up or eager to call in.

But she had Roberts on, trying to smooth the thing over and platify both sides, and even he seemed slightly shocked that Millar had said that. Why would you just not mention something that was going to make the issue more controversial? (And why am I bothering to debate the holes in Anita Marks' interviewing techniques?)

But she had Roberts on, trying to smooth the thing over and platify both sides, and even he seemed slightly shocked that Millar had said that. Why would you just not mention something that was going to make the issue more controversial? (And why am I bothering to debate the holes in Anita Marks' interviewing techniques?)

I was basically saying she'll almost gladly make herself look kinda dumb if it gets people talking.

There was a time that the Orioles were beloved in this town and respected around the country. Now this organization is a laughing stock. The Millar episode in Boston is the latest! Some fans don't care if he was there and participated in the festivities. That's because they are not Orioles fans. Others care because they are Orioles fans.

There was a time that the Orioles were beloved in this town and respected around the country. Now this organization is a laughing stock. The Millar episode in Boston is the latest! Some fans don't care if he was there and participated in the festivities. That's because they are not Orioles fans. Others care because they are Orioles fans.

"The world is gray, Jack! Gray!"

You can not quantify and qualify fandom like that. It doesn't work. You end up insulting more than you befriend.

Isn't the simplest explanation that she is kinda dumb?

No, I don't think she is. I don't think she was good enough to move markets like she did, but I don't think she's nearly as air headed as she can come off. There have been times, especially in the early days when she didn't have the same co-hosts she has now, when she presented her views much better. Which is why I have the stance I have about her motivations.

Witchy

Good post, I agree with all of this. And thats all I'm going to say about that.

Thank God we have you to tell us who are and aren't fans! I almost thought I had been a fan for the past however many years, but now that you're here, I see the light! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived