Orioles 40-man Roster Tracker

Oldorioles

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for the upcoming year which tracks all the 40-man transactions of the Orioles for the 2015 season along with their remaining option years. Just like last year, players who have had an option used for the 2015 season will be shown in BOLD.

Found below are the current members of the 40-man roster and their remaining options. Current number of players on roster is 39.

Three Options Remaining:

- Alvarez

- Chen

- Flaherty

- Garcia

- Joseph

- Machado

Two Options Remaining:

- Gamboa

- Navarro

- Schoop

- Walker

- Wilson

- M. Wright

- Givens

One Option Remaining:

- Berry

- Drake

- Cabral

- Gausman

- Gonzalez

- McFarland

- Urrutia

No Options Remaining:

- Lake

- Brach

- Britton

- Bundy

- Clevenger

- Lough

- Matusz

- Paredes

- Pearce

- Roe

- Rondon

- Tillman

- Steve Johnson

Need Player Permission to Option (5 years MLB experience):

- Davis

- Hardy

- Jimenez

- A. Jones

- Norris

- O'Day

- Wieters

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Pridie and Pearce will remain.

I believe they're both arbitration eligible. I bett Duquette will try to repeat what he did with Pearce last year (spring invite with higher pay).

I think very little of Pridie. I would far prefer Dickerson as Norfolk's CF and as insurance for AJ.

Once Reimold, Pirdie, and maybe Pearce are taken off of the 40 man, there will be a ton of room to add.

It's unusual to have ~29 people on the 40 man roster, isn't it?

I personally hope we hang on to Pearce, I like him as a bench bat, and he has cleaned up when playing at OPACY (.277/.381/.525; .906), though only in a 119 PA sample size

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=pearcst01&year=Career&t=b

The reason that Pearce and Pridie are on the roster I believe is because they are the left fielders with McLouth being a free agent. There is no guarantee that the O's will be able to sign McLouth or any other left fielder if the free agent market goes wild. The tender deadline is December 2nd. Hopefully the O's sign a better leftfielder by then and the O's then have the option to non tender one or both Pridie and Pearce. If the O's don't sign someone by December 2nd then I agree with Weams. Once tendered the O's may keep Pridie and/or Pearce on the roster.

• 2 weeks later...
I see no sense on putting players like Pridie and Pearce on the team if they have no options remaining. If they don't make the team, they can declare FA and you can't even stash them at Norfolk. They did the right thing with Pearce last year. They should do it again.

With how much space we have on the 40 man we can afford the luxury of keeping guys like them and seeing where we're at after ST. It'll be much easier to pass them through waivers then too.

In some circumstances, baseball rules allow for a fourth option. A player receives a fourth option if he has less than five seasons of pro experience. Draftees who immediately sign a major league contract will qualify unless they reach the majors quickly and stick there. Otherwise, they'll have their three options exhausted after their first three years in pro ball. Guthrie falls into this category.

A season is defined as any year in which the player spends 90 days on the active list. Short-season and Rookie leagues don't last 90 calendar days, so a player assigned to those leagues for an entire year won't accrue a season of pro experience. Also if a player has a long-term injury, he usually won't be credited for a season that year. (The exception is if he goes on the disabled list after spending 60 days on an active list, in which case the DL time counts as service time.)

So where does left-hander Kelvin De La Cruz factor into all of this? He was just rostered by the Indians last week, and while he is surely a talented pitcher there were a lot of people surprised with the Indians decision to put him on the roster considering he was still so far away from the big leagues. But, thanks to Jay over at Lets Go Tribe, his research unearthed that De La Cruz will be eligible to receive a fourth option year. Knowing this, the decision to roster De La Cruz is no longer an issue and makes a ton more sense.

De La Cruz was signed in December of 2004 and spent his first year pitching for the Dominican Summer League team in 2005, which as a short season does not count as a season played. In 2006 and 2007 he was in the Gulf Coast League, a short-season rookie league so again the seasons don't count. In 2008 he spent the year splitting time in Low-A Lake County and High-A Kinston, and this was his first season that counts. This past year he was on the shelf with an injury almost all year and did not accrue the necessary number of days to have it count as a season. As a result, De La Cruz only has one season to date in the books, and assuming he blows through his three options years in 2010, 2011, and 2012 and remains healthy, he would only have four seasons under his belt and as a result would get a fourth option year in 2013 if needed.

Some clarification.

Weams - excellent research. It looks like 2013 would have been his fifth "pro season", hence, he should have had a fourth option available last year (I think). However, he did not get optioned last year.

Now, he currently has five "pro seasons" in the books, so I don't think he would get the luxury of an option - unless it could carry over. Bottom line, I think he's out of options but not 100% sure. I hope he has one left, otherwise this signing may make us a little less flexible.

Archived