Monmouth: The First 3rd-Tier Team Since 1995 to get an At-Large Bid ???

OFFNY

o

Monmouth is in a 3rd-tier conference (majors, mid-majors, the rest), and they have already beaten U.C.L.A. in Pauley Pavilion, Notre Dame on a neutral court, U.S.C. on a neutral court, and Georgetown at the Verizon Center.

I remember when Manhattan College got an at-large bid in 1995 with a record of 25-4. They were given a #13 seed and beat #4 Oklahoma (led by future Baltimore Oriole, Ryan Minor) in the first round of that season's tournament.

It is extremely rare when a team from 3rd-tier conference gets an at-large bid to the N.C.A.A. tournament. Manhattan was able to get one back in 1995 with an outstanding overall record (25-4), and by advancing to their conference tournament championship before losing to St. Peter's in overtime. Monmouth may be in a position to get one this season if they finish the season strong enough.

I've watched about 7-8 Monmouth games this year and was at the Verizon center when they handled Georgtown. Last night was about as bad as I've seen them play this season until the last 5 minutes or so. Definitely a tournament team but being in the MAAC and all their horrible rpi teams doesn't help. It's nearly impossible to run the table in conf play; their goal should be to finish first in the MAAC and from there at least get to the MAAC final so they don't have to sweat it out as much. With Iona having a down year (which was bound to happen) AJ English can't do everyhing for them - there aren't any more good wins left for them and only potential bad losses.

The bench celebrations are cool but they may want to cool it at times. Tim Cluess wasn't too happy either.

The Jaspers were absolutely heated when Monmouth took the lead yest with about 90 seconds left and started celebrating. They used that as a motivational factor to crush them the last minute. Steve Masielo is one of the most fired up coaches I've ever seen, can never count the Jaspers out at home even when they aren't as good the past few years.

Highly recommend going to a Jaspers home or road game and sitting behind the Jaspers bench, Masielo's coaching alone is worth the price of admission.

Wish they had ESPN bracket busters still, could have been another national showcase for Monmouth.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you serious!!!!!! That was one of the most incredible comebacks I've ever seen.

Monmouth was down 14 with 2 and half minutes left go on 14-0 run incredible! Ryder took the lead back with a lay up and Monmouth ice veins Justin Robinson hits a 3 with 4 seconds left.

They end the game on a 17-2 run. Speechless, Justin Robinson is so underrated it's ridiculous.

Are you serious!!!!!! That was one of the most incredible comebacks I've ever seen.

Monmouth was down 14 with 2 and half minutes left go on 14-0 run incredible! Ryder took the lead back with a lay up and Monmouth ice veins Justin Robinson hits a 3 with 4 seconds left.

They end the game on a 17-2 run. Speechless' date=' Justin Robinson is so underrated it's ridiculous.[/quote']

Wow, that is incredible. That is a game I would have loved to have seen.

Monmouth is in a 3rd-tier conference (majors, mid-majors, the rest), and they have already beaten U.C.L.A. in Pauley Pavilion, Notre Dame on a neutral court, U.S.C. on a neutral court, and Georgetown at the Verizon Center.

I remember when Manhattan College got an at-large bid in 1995 with a record of 25-4. They were given a #13 seed and beat #4 Oklahoma (led by future Baltimore Oriole, Ryan Minor) in the first round of that season's tournament.

It is extremely rare when a team from 3rd-tier conference gets an at-large bid to the N.C.A.A. tournament. Manhattan was able to get one back in 1995 with an outstanding overall record (25-4), and by advancing to their conference tournament championship before losing to St. Peter's in overtime. Monmouth may be in a position to get one this season if they finish the season strong enough.

They're 22-5 overall, now.

That's the most wins in school history.

• 2 weeks later...
o

What an unusual game.

Monmouth scored 18 points in overtime ...... all from the free-throw line !!! ll:eektf:

OOOOO MONMOUTH OOOOOOl - 82

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo (OVERTIME)

OOOOO ST. PETER'S OO - 75

o

I was hoping to attend the MAAC tournament in Albany. Schedule wise however, not sure if it will work out. Will be at the acc tournament. Maybe CAA tournament also. Maybe A10 also, will see.

• 2 weeks later...

It played out precisely that way.

Like Manhattan College 21 years ago, Monmouth made it to the conference championship game, and just barely lost.

Monmouth is 27-7 overall.

Manhattan was 25-4 overall back in 1995.

Monmouth had considerably more impressive early season wins than did Manhattan back in 1995.

Like Manhattan College 21 years ago, Monmouth made it to the conference championship game, and just barely lost.

I saw a bit of the game and the part I was watching seem to be just a three point shooting contest over top of the opposing zone from 30 feet. Still both teams seem to shoot very well.

Jay Bilas thanks they still get a bid anyway.

Monmouth had considerably more impressive early season wins than did Manhattan back in 1995.

Even though there were 3 less teams invited to the tournament back then (65 instead of 68), I believe that the 2016 Monmouth team had a considerably more compelling case for making the tournament this year than did Manhattan back in 1995.

Archived