What if Reimold has a monster spring?

Greg Pappas

Ok, we know it's moronic to call it laughable. It's also flat out stupid to call it laughable. And you'd do it in two seconds flat. LOL

Yes I would..because of teams needs and Hosmer's upside.

I wouldn't trade him for Butler though...and I like Butler a lot.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The O's will not trade Jones because they are not going to trust injury prone Pie with the everyday CF job.

Reimold is 27. He has already had a decent year in the majors in 2009. He has nothing to prove at AAA. If he continues to hit through the spring he probably gets a bench slot.

Reimold can play some left and some right field. Buck is considering Scott for the backup 1B spot. Scott will also back up DH. Buck can matchup guys depending on the pitcher the O's are facing.

Pie could finish 100 games defensively in LF and be the CF backup.

I trust Buck to know what to do with a deep bench. I don't see any trades just because the team is too deep unless it is Andino for a minor leaguer.

Buck saying that Fox is competing for the backup catching job appears to be not only because Fox is hitting but because it is a good way to make room for Reimold. Tatum's option looms large. The question is will Fox continue to run into pitches as the pitching get better late in ST?

The O's will not trade Jones because they are not going to trust injury prone Pie with the everyday CF job.

Reimold is 27. He has already had a decent year in the majors in 2009. He has nothing to prove at AAA. If he continues to hit through the spring he probably gets a bench slot.

Reimold can play some left and some right field. Buck is considering Scott for the backup 1B spot. Scott will also back up DH. Buck can matchup guys depending on the pitcher the O's are facing.

I trust Buck to know what to do with a deep bench. I don't see any trades just because the team is too deep unless it is Andino for a minor leaguer.

Buck saying that Fox is competing for the backup catching job appears to be not only because Fox is hitting but because it is a good way to make room for Reimold. Tatum's option looms large. The question is will Fox continue to run into pitches as the pitching get better late in ST?

Really?

Fox is a pretty capable hitter, much better than Tatum. I don't think his hitting will be a problem, nor do I think he has to prove himself from a hitting perspective to make the team.

Really?

Fox is a pretty capable hitter, much better than Tatum. I don't think his hitting will be a problem, nor do I think he has to prove himself from a hitting perspective to make the team.

Fox is a good fastball hitter. He is bound to look better in early spring when that is mainly what the opposing pitchers are throwing. How he does later in ST could be telling.

Having Reimold rot on the bench is a horrendous use of him. Keeping him on the team to be the 5th OFer would be an awful decision.

Fox has proven he can hit...Tatum has no business being on the team over Fox.

Having Reimold rot on the bench is a horrendous use of him. Keeping him on the team to be the 5th OFer would be an awful decision.

Unless his defense at catcher is bad enough to outweigh his contributions with the bat. I honestly do not know if that is the case at this point. I will say that I was not that impressed with Tatum's overall defense last season.

Unless his defense at catcher is bad enough to outweigh his contributions with the bat. I honestly do not know if that is the case at this point. I will say that I was not that impressed with Tatum's overall defense last season.

Fox was fine behind the plate last year. He showed a decent arm and seemed to give a good target.

Tatum isn't good at anything but maybe calling a game.

Now, if they want to keep them both, whatever...But if it is one or the other, you keep Fox...and it shouldn't even be a decision.

Buck will not let Reimold rot of the bench. He will find a way to use him.

Fox is valuable as long as he hits. I want to see how he does when the only strikes he sees is breaking balls and change ups. If he passes that test then he is a hitter.

I wouldn't say Tatum has no business on the team. If Fox stops hitting then Tatum is the better defensive catcher. However, Fox as the edge right now because he is hitting.

Buck will not let Reimold rot of the bench. He will find a way to use him.
Again, with your overrating of Buck. There are only so many at bats. Even if Reimold starts twice a week, that is still not enough right now. He is coming off of an awful season and he needs the at bats right now.
Fox is valuable as long as he hits. I want to see how he does when the only strikes he sees is breaking balls and change ups. If he passes that test then he is a hitter.
Do you think Fox has gotten to this level and performed highly without the ability to do these things?
I wouldn't say Tatum has no business on the team. If Fox stops hitting then Tatum is the better defensive catcher. However, Fox as the edge right now because he is hitting

Based on what?

Fox has great minor league numbers, but he has not proven he can hit ML pitching.

His career BA and OBP are .235 and .285. (his BA and OBP last year were worse .217 and .261) He has a career .708 OPS and only a .645 OPS last year. He has a lot to prove as a hitter at the ML level because so far has not shown that he can hit ML pitching.

Because his minor league numbers are so good, he should be ahead of Tatum IMO, but not by much.

Fox has great minor league numbers, but he has not proven he can hit ML pitching.

His career BA and OBP are .235 and .285. (his BA and OBP last year were worse .217 and .261) He has a career .708 OPS and only a .645 OPS last year. He has a lot to prove as a hitter at the ML level because so far has not shown that he can hit ML pitching.

Because his minor league numbers are so good, he should be ahead of Tatum IMO, but not by much.

Do we get to decide who we are patient with and who we aren't when evaluating players starting their major league careers?

We need some sort of statistic to help us gauge what to expect from these guys. Jake Fox showed in the minors that he has a decent chance to being a solid hitter. He plays 3 positions that we don't have many backup options for and we are willing to say that Tatum, who only plays 1 position, is close to Fox when Tatum can't hit at all?

Again, with your overrating of Buck. There are only so many at bats. Even if Reimold starts twice a week, that is still not enough right now. He is coming off of an awful season and he needs the at bats right now.

Do you think Fox has gotten to this level and performed highly without the ability to do these things?

Based on what?

There are plenty on lefthanded pitchers in the league. If Reimold is hitting like he did in 2009, he hits lefties. Just because Reimold does not start games does not mean he will not get into game at some point. He can be very valuable a spot starter and bench players. He is 27 not 23. If his plays is good enough to be in the majors, that is where he should be.

I don't think Fox has the plate discipline that other players do and I am not should he has proven he can hit anything but the fastball. If you can prove he has I would be glad to listen.

Tatum is a good catch and throw guy from all reports I have heard.

There are plenty on lefthanded pitchers in the league. If Reimold is hitting like he did in 2009, he hits lefties. Just because Reimold does not start games does not mean he will not get into game at some point. He can be very valuable as a stop starter and bench players. He is 27 not 23. If his play is good enough to be in the majors, that is where he should be.

I don't think Fox as the plate discipline that other players do and I am not should he has prove he can hit anything but the fastball. If you can prove he has I would be glad to listen.

Tatum is a good catch and throw guy from all reports I have heard.

Did you watch the games last year?

Tatum couldn't thrown anyone out. 25 out of 27 successful. Terrible for a catch and throw guy.

Tatum was probably one of the better backup catcher's we've had in recent years. Fox definitely has more power and is more of a threat. It comes down to defense, which most managers place an emphasis on in choosing a backup catcher. If Fox is passable he'll probably take the job. Funny, that you preach patience with Fox and conclude that Tatum, with less experience, can't hit at all. lol

Is it really that funny?

Tatum had a .699 OPS in the minors in 7 seasons.

Fox had a .885 OPS in 7 seasons.

Fox also threw out more runners than Tatum last year. In way fewer chances.

They must throw all fastballs in the minors I see.

Do we get to decide who we are patient with and who we aren't when evaluating players starting their major league careers?

We need some sort of statistic to help us gauge what to expect from these guys. Jake Fox showed in the minors that he has a decent chance to being a solid hitter. He plays 3 positions that we don't have many backup options for and we are willing to say that Tatum, who only plays 1 position, is close to Fox when Tatum can't hit at all?

Tatum put up a .281 avg and a .349 OBP last year. That is a very respectable OBP for a back up catcher. Yes it probably was a career year and only over 126 PA, but with OBP being probably the most important batting stat, Tatum has had one year at the ML level that Fox has never come close to approaching at the ML level.

Archived