Are Baltimore fans hostile to Female Reporters?

Gurgi

Are Baltimore fans Neanderthals?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Are Baltimore fans Neanderthals?

• Yes we are savage to female reporters and its uncalled for.
    • We are savage to all reporters regardless of sex.
    • Baltimore has just had bad luck to have lesser talented women reporters.
    • Reporters shouldnt get into public brawls with the fans.
    • Who is Jen Royle and Anita Marks? I dont remember them.

The difference between a reporter like Britt Ghiroli and MASN staff member like Jen Royle is that Britt has to be objective about what she writes. All she does is inform.

Jen Royle doesn't have those restrictions. She can have opinions and obviously is paid to share them.

I think so many flock to Ghiroli over Royle is because Britt doesn't cast a negative tone toward anything the Orioles do, because I doubt she can. That's not her job.

Also I think there is a "homer" effect here too as I think the fans that live in and around Baltimore are the ones that likely that are the most optmistic about what is happening in the MacPhail regime. And it's likely because they aren't hearing a negative opinion about their Orioles as the media is pretty much controlled by them. And I'm not talking about OHers, but the common fan that watches MASN and listens to the radio and reads the Sun for their news.

When you get outside of the Baltimore area in other areas of the country, such as NE, I think you'll find more critcism of the Orioles because they don't have control over national media outlets, and you are bound to get a more objective if not negative opinion of what they do when they deserve the critiquing.

So when you get somebody from New York, who is used to winning and used to seeing a team run a certain way, when the team you are following isn't following that model and isn't having success, she's going to call them on it.

And Orioles fans especially in Baltimore don't like hearing negative things about the Orioles and immediately lash out at those who say them.

It's not a good situation.

For probably the first time In my life I agree with you... accept shes from NE and worked in NY but other than that I'd say your dead on with your opinion.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The difference between a reporter like Britt Ghiroli and MASN staff member like Jen Royle is that Britt has to be objective about what she writes. All she does is inform.

Jen Royle doesn't have those restrictions. She can have opinions and obviously is paid to share them.

I think so many flock to Ghiroli over Royle is because Britt doesn't cast a negative tone toward anything the Orioles do, because I doubt she can. That's not her job.

Also I think there is a "homer" effect here too as I think the fans that live in and around Baltimore are the ones that likely that are the most optmistic about what is happening in the MacPhail regime. And it's likely because they aren't hearing a negative opinion about their Orioles as the media is pretty much controlled by them. And I'm not talking about OHers, but the common fan that watches MASN and listens to the radio and reads the Sun for their news.

When you get outside of the Baltimore area in other areas of the country, such as NE, I think you'll find more critcism of the Orioles because they don't have control over national media outlets, and you are bound to get a more objective if not negative opinion of what they do when they deserve the critiquing.

So when you get somebody from New York, who is used to winning and used to seeing a team run a certain way, when the team you are following isn't following that model and isn't having success, she's going to call them on it.

And Orioles fans especially in Baltimore don't like hearing negative things about the Orioles and immediately lash out at those who say them.

It's not a good situation.

Please, what fan wants to hear negative things about their team. I live in NY. Try telling a MFY fan that Jeter isn't a GG AS SS.:rolleyestf: I watched a couple of Jen's interviews and read a couple of her columns. She was so in your face flirtatious with the players it seemed to make them uncomfortable, and the columns seemed to be as much about her as baseball. I dismissed her as not worth the time.

Please, what fan wants to hear negative things about their team. I live in NY. Try telling a MFY fan that Jeter isn't a GG AS SS.:rolleyestf: I watched a couple of Jen's interviews and read a couple of her columns. She was so in your face flirtatious with the players it seemed to make them uncomfortable, and the columns seemed to be as much about her as baseball. I dismissed her as not worth the time.

Yankees and Red Sox fans brush things off or they will actually agree with you. They slam their own teams all the time.

You tell a Baltimore fan something negative, and they are bound to get defensive.

IMO it's because the media that reports on the Orioles isn't as critical, therefore the fans aren't as critical and don't like a negative opinion of their team because the media has led them to believe it's not warranted and everything is all sunshine and roses.

The Sun has become a little more critical of the Orioles recently, but it's nowhere near the critiquing of the Boston or NY papers, some of which is too negative sometimes than warranted. And MASN is just an Orioles mouthpiece.

I quite enjoy Amber Theoharis and Britt Ghiroli's reporting. I have nothing against them (women) and I think Britt does an awesome job. Not a big fan of Royle, the fanfest coverage was meh and I get all my other O's news from other sources. Now only if we could get that girl that was at O's camp for MLB network's 30 teams in 30 days.:eektf:

Yankees and Red Sox fans brush things off or they will actually agree with you. They slam their own teams all the time.

You tell a Baltimore fan something negative, and they are bound to get defensive.

IMO it's because the media that reports on the Orioles isn't as critical, therefore the fans aren't as critical and don't like a negative opinion of their team because the media has led them to believe it's not warranted and everything is all sunshine and roses.

The Sun has become a little more critical of the Orioles recently, but it's nowhere near the critiquing of the Boston or NY papers, some of which is too negative sometimes than warranted. And MASN is just an Orioles mouthpiece.

Hogwash.:ohlord:

Once the season starts, listen to 105.7 the fan online. You will change your tune.

Laura was a political hire. She went at sports from a political angle. Not what the average Baltimore fan wants in his sports coverage.

We broke her confidence. I think she didnt even do anything for a couple of years after.

She works for my newspaper.

IMO it's because the media that reports on the Orioles isn't as critical,

........ therefore the fans aren't as critical,

and don't like a negative opinion of their team because the media has led them to believe it's not warranted and everything is all sunshine and roses.

Have you been to any Oriole games in September the past few years when we're usually about 97 games out of first place ??? The miniscule crowds have been downright depressing, and only saps like myself and a handful of other ultra die hards show up. Nothing exemplifies criticism more than the fans of a team not showing up for games ............ especially the no-shows, who have already paid for their tickets and still decide not to go.

I love it when Trea tries to act like he has the finger on the pulse of Baltimore.

No offense dude, but you live in Maine. You truly have no clue what things are really like down here. You may think you do, but it's all generalizations and half-truths.

I love it when Trea tries to act like he has the finger on the pulse of Baltimore.

No offense dude, but you live in Maine. You truly have no clue what things are really like down here. You may think you do, but it's all generalizations and half-truths.

Case in point...

Have you been to any Oriole games in September the past few years when we're usually about 97 games out of first place ??? The miniscule crowds have been downright depressing, and only saps like myself and a handful of other ultra die hards show up. Nothing exemplifies criticism more than the fans of a team not showing up for games ............ especially the no-shows, who have already paid for their tickets and still decide not to go.

Oh I've been to several September games. But you haven't seen fans truly critique their team until you've talked to Red Sox fans.

Seriously, you'd think they were going to be fifth place in the East when you talk to some of them right now given the bullpen arm battles, starting rotation and who Francona wants to keep on the roster.

They have no idea what they have. I'd be pretty darn happy if the Orioles were where the Red Sox are right now.

Case in point...

I think I probably agree with what you write more than most people on this board, but you are wrong about this. Your post may describe a good amount of posters on the OH, but the fans in Baltimore can not only take the criticism, they're usually the ones giving it out.

Oh I've been to several September games. But you haven't seen fans truly critique their team until you've talked to Red Sox fans.

Seriously, you'd think they were going to be fifth place in the East when you talk to some of them right now given the bullpen arm battles, starting rotation and who Francona wants to keep on the roster.

They have no idea what they have. I'd be pretty darn happy if the Orioles were where the Red Sox are right now.

Just quit and be a Red Sox fan. I think it'd be so much easier for you.

Archived