Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

They still have other options. Hendrickson, for example. And if Bergesen is the issue, why was he mentioned as an option before Britton?
I think they think with Britton starting along with Guthrie and Arrieta they have a chance to be 10-8 by the 21st. If they go with Hedrickson/Drese/ Jakabauskas, Bergy and Tillman along with Guthrie and Arrieta, they are more likely to be 6-12, with an over extended bullpen. I think that's an important difference to Buck.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I shouldn't jump in a thread w/o reading the whole thing, apologies if I'm just reapeating others views...

I'm all for Britton getting the callup. Maybe he'll pitch well enough to stay in the bigs for good.

What year do we lose control of his status? 2016 2017....seems like a long ways away to me.

I know I shouldn't jump in a thread w/o reading the whole thing, apologies if I'm just reapeating others views...

I'm all for Britton getting the callup. Maybe he'll pitch well enough to stay in the bigs for good.

What year do we lose control of his status? 2016 2017....seems like a long ways away to me.

Right, I think we're now at risk of losing control in 2016 instead of 2017. It's fine with me, let's go get some banners to hang in the yard.

The Orioles made the move on emotion, not rational thinking and intelligence.

They made a right now move, which is not the way the team should be thinking.

I kindly disagree with your notion about the Orioles move being emotional verses rational intelligent thinking. The reason why?

I understand the argument for argument sake...but it is a bit ludicrous IMO. If Britton was a position player, I would delay bringing him up. I believe a pitcher is a totally different beast. Think back over the last seven years and the supposed great arms the O's have had and look at the number that ended having arm injuries and/or never lived up to expectations.

When a pitcher is ready to make the the move, move them. The idea or hope the extra year of service 7 years down the road is more worthwhile than having him now is wishful thinking and flawed, like free beer tomorrow.

Not many SP's make it 7 years...how many Orioles can you name in the FA era that would qualify as a service mistake like this? It is logical to assume that Britton's chances are less than 50% in being effective in years 7+, not emotional.

With AM, you balance risk and reward, and IMO this was the logical move based on the risk/reward balance he commonly refers to in interviews.

FTR, I was not against sending Britton down to start the season....and voted yes for several reasons"

* Matusz was the O's only lefty SP and is out for an extended period. Without ZB, the Orioles would only have one lefty on the team (Hendrickson is at least one notch below ZB right now as BM's replacement).

* As mentioned above, the chances are that ZB will not be an effective SP in 7 years. So why fret over it? And if you disagree, name 5 SP's that the Orioles would have lost out on in this situation..

* This move backs up the Orioles messages to their team and the rest of the league that they are here to win games now. Skimping on AAAA options does not support what AM and Buck have been saying and doing, when Zack clearly is the best option.

* Actions speak louder than words.

and sometimes you have to say WTF.

I kindly disagree with your notion about the Orioles move, being emotional verses rational intelligent thinking. The reason why?

Not many SP's make it 7 years...how many Orioles can you name in the FA era that would qualify as a service mistake like this? It is logical to assume that Britton's chances are less than 50% in being effective in years 7+, not emotional.

With AM, you balance risk and reward, and IMO this was the logical move based on the risk/reward balance he commonly refers to in interviews.

FTR, I was not against sending Britton down to start the season....and voted yes for several reasons"

* Matusz was the O's only lefty SP and is out for an extended period. Without ZB, the Orioles would only have one lefty on the team (Hendrickson is at least one notch below ZB right now as BM's replacement).

* As mentioned above, the chances are that ZB will not be an effective SP in 7 years. So why fret over it? And if you disagree, name 5 SP's that the Orioles would have lost out on in this situation..

* This move backs up the Orioles messages to their team and the rest of the league that they are here to win games now. Skimping on AAAA options does not support what AM and Buck have been saying and doing, when Zack clearly is the best option.

* Actions speak louder than words.

and sometimes you have to say WTF.

Then why did they want to hold him back to begin with?

89 wins still probably doesn't get within 3-4 of the wild card. And even if 89 becomes "realistic" in an 84-win scenario, 92 or more really does not.

I think 89 wins has a decent chance at the WC as I laid out in my thread the other day.

92 is in the realm of possibilities, but obviously it's quite unlikely.

89 wins still probably doesn't get within 3-4 of the wild card. And even if 89 becomes "realistic" in an 84-win scenario, 92 or more really does not.

Johnny Damon ("90 wins might win the division") says hi. ;)

Then why did they want to hold him back to begin with?
When they decided to send him down, they were looking at 4 starts fronm Guthrie, Matusz, Arrieta, and Bergesen, with 2 from one of Tillman or Drese, etc. by the 21st. They could put up with the 2 sketchy starts from Tillman or Drese for the service time. But now they are looking at 4 starts from Guthrie, 4 from Tillman, 4 from Drese, etc., 4 from Arrieta and 2 from a Bergy who is not stretched out. Can you see the difference? 2 sketchy starts vs 10.

Archived