Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

ChaosLex

Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the O's decision to recall Britton from Norfolk?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a huge proponent of Britton being in the minors to start the year.

However given the injuries to Duch, bergesen and now Matusz there is no real reason not to bring him up. The service time thing was never my main issue I just didn't want to give up on Tillman so soon.

This allows us to see what Bergy and tillman have for a month. If they both do great britton goes back down in a month or so when Matusz if healthy. If one falters and Britton shines then Britton stays and the other guy goes down to become depth or trade fodder.

Service time is an issue if your at the beginning of a rebuild, I'd argue we are in middle or closer to the end. If the time to win isnt this year its next year at the latest. So we would still have Britton for a good long run. If he is what we think he is we will be offering him money at somepoint to stay longer.

So while not ideal given the length of the injury, the opportunity still provided to tillman, bergesen and arrieta This is the move that is deserved and makes the most sense for the ball club.

Just got back from scouting morning HS game -- haven't caught up on this thread but will say it is HILARIOUS how all of the sudden Bergesen can't be trusted in the rotation for a few weeks or it is "giving the wrong message" to the team re: winning effort.

Still have yet to read a convincing argument as to why it makes sense to move Britton up now as opposed to April 21. Maybe there will be one on page 11-15.

Won't we be sitting him in September anyway due to innings pitched and/or pitches thrown in stressful situations? If so, he "goes down" or is inactive for 21 days on Norfolk's roster when it doesn't matter (assuming they don't make playoffs - if so then another affiliate). :scratchchinhmm:

I was against the move to begin with but due to circumstances mentioned completely understand now.

Just got back from scouting morning HS game -- haven't caught up on this thread but will say it is HILARIOUS how all of the sudden Bergesen can't be trusted in the rotation for a few weeks or it is "giving the wrong message" to the team re: winning effort.

Still have yet to read a convincing argument as to why it makes sense to move Britton up now as opposed to April 21. Maybe there will be one on page 11-15.

Bergesen is already in the rotation and Buck has already said he couldn't go tomorrow because he can't get deep into a game yet. The pitcher that can't be trusted is the AAAA pitcher they call up who would likely have the same issue.

Apparently what doesn't matter to you the mindset of this team. Many players remember the Adam Eatons, the Jon Leicesters and they saw how poorly those guys pitched in placeholder duty.

The team wouldn't respond well to the Orioles essentially punting those starts vs. playoff teams IMO, and Buck has to make sure these guys are well motivated since they need to win now.

But it's obvious that winning now, and the mindset of these players is not important for you so no argument would convince you.

We are no longer rebuilding and this team is treating this season like it's a playoff run. They have to because that's the mindset of the players and what they've been pounding into them from Day 1 of ST. Like it or not, that's the way it is, and that's why it makes sense to put your best 25 out there and try to win as many games as you can.

One doesn't exist.

Can't image why. Either you think he can do it or you don't. From what I have seen and read about him, I think he can average 6 innings.

Over the last 10 years, how many rookie pitchers pitched 150 IP?

And out of those pitchers, how many averaged 6 IP per start or more?

Over the last 10 years, how many rookie pitchers pitched 150 IP?

And out of those pitchers, how many averaged 6 IP per start or more?

You know, I don't know the answer to that, but we've had success with Arrieta and Matusz recently. Although neither was over 6 per start.

Arrieta pitched 173 last year and averaged 5.9 per start (100 IP in ML, 73 in MIL).

In 2009 Matusz pitched 157.2 between ML and MiL (5.8) and last year in the majors he went 175, 5.4 innings per game.

You know, I don't know the answer to that, but we've had success with Arrieta and Matusz recently. Although neither was over 6 per start.

Arrieta pitched 173 last year and averaged 5.9 per start (100 IP in ML, 73 in MIL).

In 2009 Matusz pitched 157.2 between ML and MiL (5.8) and last year in the majors he went 175, 5.4 innings per game.

I am strictly talking about ML innings, not the minors.

WC is making the assertion that we should expect 6 IP per start.

Bergesen didn't get much work at the end of ST, did he?

I am strictly talking about ML innings, not the minors.

WC is making the assertion that we should expect 6 IP per start.

It can't be a very long list. The only one I can really think of off the top of my head is Matt Cain, and he threw close to 200 IP his rookie year. Rare. 6 would be a stretch, especially for a guy without a ton of experience. Stretching from 25-27 starts to 31-33 starts is tough against the best of the best.

This was something I brought up a couple of weeks ago. Outside of Guthrie (and BB when hes healthy) we have no innings eaters. I wanted a veteran to fill that role, or at least more than one long man in the pen.

Archived