Machado is the real deal folks...

OrioleMagic79

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 years at the quickest. He WAS really impressive on his drivers ed team last year, though that is known to be a hitters league.

haha, I know, but I'm just excited...just let go for a second and join me...then we can get realistic about it again guys...these are exciting times to be an Orioles fan, and how long has it been since we could say that??

haha, I know, but I'm just excited...just let go for a second and join me...then we can get realistic about it again guys...these are exciting times to be an Orioles fan, and how long has it been since we could say that??

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that he's doing well, and I'm excited. I'm just wary of getting too pumped about a guy too young. Hell, it's probably not a good idea to get too excited about a guy until he's had a few hundred MLB at bats.

That being said, is he going to be on TV at all this season?

We won't be seeing Machado anytime soon. Even if he goes nuts in Delmarva... he's doing it against low-A pitching. Start of 2013 would be the absolute earliest that we see him in Baltimore. At best this year, he'll make it to Frederick this year and if he goes nuts, MAYBE he'll start 2012 in Bowie.... but even that's unlikely. If I had to guess, I'd go...

2011: Delmarva start. End in Frederick.

2012: Start in Frederick. Work to Bowie by mid-season.

2013. Start in Norfolk. Play the year in AAA.

2014: Baltimore.

But it's been exactly one game. Just one game. He's probably better than 98% of that league.... but he still needs to learn at the low-A for a while.

I went to the Shorebirds opener last night with a few friends and we were all very impressed with Machado. You can see it when he's on the field he just looks so relaxed and comfortable. He totally looks like he was born to play this game. As for his at bats, he absolutely scorched all three balls I saw him hit. When he hit the triple his swing seemed so effortless and the ball just kept carrying 'til it hit the base of the wall in right center. It was really cool to watch. I can't wait to watch his development over the next few years.

We won't be seeing Machado anytime soon. Even if he goes nuts in Delmarva... he's doing it against low-A pitching. Start of 2013 would be the absolute earliest that we see him in Baltimore. At best this year, he'll make it to Frederick this year and if he goes nuts, MAYBE he'll start 2012 in Bowie.... but even that's unlikely. If I had to guess, I'd go...

2011: Delmarva start. End in Frederick.

2012: Start in Frederick. Work to Bowie by mid-season.

2013. Start in Norfolk. Play the year in AAA.

2014: Baltimore.

But it's been exactly one game. Just one game. He's probably better than 98% of that league.... but he still needs to learn at the low-A for a while.

Why would he have to play a full season in Norfolk? If doing well a half season at most should be sufficient.

Lets compare him to another recent high schooler that was on the fast track.

Machado played 9 games in 2010 between GCL and Rookie.

Jason Heyward had the following progression

2007- 12 games between GCL and Appy so that's about the same.

2008- 120 games at A, 7 games A+

2009- 49 games A+, 47 AA, 3 games AAA

2010- Made the Braves out of camp.

Now I don't see Machado breaking camp with the O's in 2013 but the precedent certainly exists and an arrival point sometime in the 2013 season would not surprise me.

The answer is that Machado should be up in Baltimore as quickly as he can without sacrificing meaningful development. No one knows what sort of schedule that ultimately sets. Andruw Jones jumped from HiA to homering in the World Series for the Braves, as a 19 year old. Alex Rodriguez went HiA to the Majors as an 18 year old. #1 overall selection Tim Beckham spent a full year in short-season/rookie ball, a full season in low-A, a full season in Hi-A and is now starting his 4th pro year at AA Montgomery.

The answer is that Machado should be up in Baltimore as quickly as he can without sacrificing meaningful development. No one knows what sort of schedule that ultimately sets. Andruw Jones jumped from HiA to homering in the World Series for the Braves, as a 19 year old. Alex Rodriguez went HiA to the Majors as an 18 year old. #1 overall selection Tim Beckham spent a full year in short-season/rookie ball, a full season in low-A, a full season in Hi-A and is now starting his 4th pro year at AA Montgomery.

How nice would it be to see the Orioles be the benefactor of a franchise changing player like ARod or Griffey making the big club by 19 or 20 and being here for years on end and almost single handedly making us a contender year in and year out? This hasn't happened in Baltimore for a long time...

Let's have some fun and compare Manny and Harper's first game on a full season team. Manny had a better night. (I know, it's a small sample size but it's still fun.) Go O's!

Manny Machado

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO TB BA SLG OPS

3 0 2 0 1 0 2 0 0 4 0.667 1.333 2.000

Bryce Harper

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO TB BA SLG OPS

4 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 1 2 0.500 0.500 1.000

Well, for as long as they're on the same level, it would be a lot of fun to track on here. Granted, Harper will almost surely be in High-A before too long. Then again, Machado may force a similar switch soon too.

But I'd like to see where they are after 10 games... after 20. Etc.

Archived