Machado is the real deal folks...

OrioleMagic79

Was thinking that while it would add to our excitement about Manny if he has a bang up year, in terms of the prospect rankings, I'm not sure it will move the needle. In other words, he probably needs a good year to just hold steady. With the influx of high end talent from the upcoming draft, Machado will probably stay in the 15-25 range even if he moves up a level and hits .320 for the year.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's have some fun and compare Manny and Harper's first game on a full season team. Manny had a better night. (I know, it's a small sample size but it's still fun.) Go O's!

Manny Machado

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO TB BA SLG OPS

3 0 2 0 1 0 2 0 0 4 0.667 1.333 2.000

Bryce Harper

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO TB BA SLG OPS

4 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 1 2 0.500 0.500 1.000

Manny's line obviously looks a little better. Harper also hit 6-7 bombs during BP, including (I think) 2 that left the stadium.

Was thinking that while it would add to our excitement about Manny if he has a bang up year, in terms of the prospect rankings, I'm not sure it will move the needle. In other words, he probably needs a good year to just hold steady. With the influx of high end talent from the upcoming draft, Machado will probably stay in the 15-25 range even if he moves up a level and hits .320 for the year.

I think if Manny has a strong year, he'll still be listed as the top MiL SS in the game next year, and probably cracks the Top 10 (of course, depending on how many prospects lose their eligibility).

I think if Manny has a strong year, he'll still be listed as the top MiL SS in the game next year, and probably cracks the Top 10 (of course, depending on how many prospects lose their eligibility).

Is there any buzz yet in scouting circles about this kid (from people who actually saw him in the spring)?

I'll agree with 2013 as the absolute earliest we see Machado in the big leagues. I think he ends the year in Frederick. If he plays well to close the year, there is a chance he can start 2012 in Bowie. If that's the case, 2013 is reasonable.

Is there any buzz yet in scouting circles about this kid (from people who actually saw him in the spring)?

The little I've heard has been that he has met all expectations (which were very high) so far. This year will be about the grind of a pro season. If he comes out the other end with a solid stat line, and evidence he can stick at short, he'll be in a position to really take off. If he has a rough year in any respect, it shouldn't prevent bump up to HiA and I doubt it affects his "stock" much, if at all. I'd look at this season as "survival mode", with anything on top of that a HUGE bonus.

I had my doubts, watching him in HS, as to whether he was a long term shortstop. We'll see how he develops (physically) over the next few seasons. Not sure there is a "consensus" on 3B/SS being more likely at this point.

Isn't that where he places right now?

KLaw has Machado at #26 right now...I think even with a good year it will be hard for him to move higher than 15. Not many graduations likely in the top 10, and the 2011 draftees will insert here and there across the top 25 making up for service time graduations of Belt, Pineda, Britton, Hellickson, Chapman.

But at the end of the day, it's just rankings, and I would be absolutely ecstatic if Machado progresses at that type of pace and performance.

Isn't that where he places right now?

KLaw has Machado at #26 right now...I think even with a good year it will be hard for him to move higher than 15. Not many graduations likely in the top 10, and the 2011 draftees will insert here and there across the top 25 making up for service time graduations of Belt, Pineda, Britton, Hellickson, Chapman.

But at the end of the day, it's just rankings, and I would be absolutely ecstatic if Machado progresses at that type of pace and performance.

Yeah -- I said "still be listed top SS", but could have been more explicit. He is considered by most to be the #1 shortstop in the minors, though individual organizations could certainly disagree. Lindor is the only draft eligible player that could knock him off, and it would require a down year from Machado. It's possible someone like Joe Iglesias shows growth in his bat and shoots up the ranks.

Montero, Brown, Hellickson, Sale, Chapman, Ackley, Freeman, Jennings, Pineda, Belt, Britton should all lose eligibility. There's a chance Moustakas does, as well.

Baseball America ranked Machado 15th or 16th, I believe.

I think it's important to temper expectations a little. He's a very highly regarded prospect, far more highly regarded than anyone else currently in our minor league system. That doesn't make him a sure thing, nor does it mean he won't have hiccups along the way. My hope is that he can play well enough to warrant a promotion to Frederick sometime this year. I think there's a good chance that happens, but it isn't certain, and if it doesn't happen, that doesn't necessarily mean we should be disappointed. Just let the kid play and let's see what he can do over a couple hundred at bats and plays in the field.

I think it's important to temper expectations a little. He's a very highly regarded prospect, far more highly regarded than anyone else currently in our minor league system. That doesn't make him a sure thing, nor does it mean he won't have hiccups along the way. My hope is that he can play well enough to warrant a promotion to Frederick sometime this year. I think there's a good chance that happens, but it isn't certain, and if it doesn't happen, that doesn't necessarily mean we should be disappointed. Just let the kid play and let's see what he can do over a couple hundred at bats and plays in the field.

Well put. I think he will do well and that he will make it. It seems he has everything in order and the tools to succeed. But baseball can be a funny sport. He had a good game... but let's at least let him have a few more really good games first. Come June, if he's absolutely blowing up in Delmarva, then we can take a look at some movement.

An arrival anywhere from May of 2013 to September of 2015 would not surprise me.

We won't really know what we've got on our hands until we see him fill out physically in 2012 and 2013. As has been pointed out, this year is all about getting used to pro baseball and not getting buried.

• 1 year later...

Archived