Q & A with MacPhail

8ripken2131

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trading pitching for an established star is the kind of move a team makes when it's almost a competitor. We're nowhere close.

We're in no position to be deciding which of our arms are hits and which are misses if they're under 25 and we're in last place.

Who said we were trading it for an established star?

You don't know what type of returns we are going to get for Tejada, Hernandez or Bedard if we trade him.

We may get some more established young pitching and our other guys that we may trade away could help us get offense in return. It is all about how we match up with certain teams in trades. They might be looking for younger unproven arms for younger unproven position players. We have to see the returns before we totally call it the wrong move.

I dont 100% follow with what you are saying here.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he is trying to say either.

It sounds like we are going to be busy this offseason though (I hope we are anyway.) I love all this talk, just want action. And better details about these rumors so we know what is realistic and what is fantasy :)

First off, I don't agree with the idea of ruling out any pitcher just because he was born after a certain date, or hasn't appeared in x number of games (yes, I realize you didn't say this, just making a point).

Secondly, if everything goes absolutely right next season, this team might still be fortunately to win 70 games. Why spend money on a "proven closer"? I'd rather spend less money on someone else, have him falsely improve his value by getting a bunch of cheap saves, and then trade him at the deadline.

Whether Trembley wants it or not, there is no bigger waste of a roster space than a LOOGY. Look at those numbers a little closer. Subtract AVG from OBP and you get what would be called ISO-D for a batter. The average batter should have an ISO-D of about .060. The ISO-D's of lefties off of Romero the last three years have been .102, .096, and .125. Why are those high? Because he walks too many batters. You say Romero pitched better after moving to Philadelphia - he still walked 25 in 36.3 IP. Also, think about why he might have pitched better in Philly than in Boston - could it be that he faced lesser competition in Philly? You agree that he walks a few too many. He's walked 107 in 161.7 IP the last three years. Your definition of "few" definitely differs from mine.

Someone better? Radhames Liz. Brian Burres (not a big fan, but he's still better than Romero). My sleeper pick last offseason was Aaron Fultz. My sleeper pick this year is Micah Bowie. I'm not a big fan, but I'd rather have Joe Kennedy. Trever Miller. Ron Mahay. (Any FA listed here would be crossed off if he requires compensation).

I'd sign a bunch of 6-year FAs.

Ask for a reliever to be thrown into each deal.

It could be any of those three or four. What Trembley said is he wanted a hard throwing lefty for the pen. Some of these guy do not qualify, but I heard what you are saying about Romero. The O's can probably do better.

Blockbuster, hmm...

Here are some targets, just off the top of my head:

Johan Santana

Carl Crawford

Carlos Beltran

Beltran might be a target because the Mets would probably like to play Milledge in CF and would like to free up salary. He's been mentioned as being available...

Archived