New Coach Search

Jeff Goodman of FoxSports, who has been pretty much spot on this whole time just tweeted the following:

Sources told FOXSports.com that Maryland AD Kevin Anderson may target Butler's Brad Stevens next.

MDInsider just posted the following via Twitter:

Source: After Sean Miller elects to stay at Ariz., Maryland officials will meet with Mike Brey. http://wapo.st/lHil4N #Terps

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Evidently Brey is very well connected in the MD area with quality HS recruits. The issue at ND is that he can't get those kids into Notre Dame. Brey, while on the surface appears to be somewhat mediocre, could be a solid sleeper for us. Digger Phelps was on 105.7 The Fan on Friday and he spoke very highly of Brey and his ability to recruit top talent if he were to coach Maryland. I did see somewhere earlier today that Brey and Notre Dame were talking extention though, so who knows if he's even available.

I have absolutely zero interest in Tubby Smith. He is not the answer.

I don't put any stock in what Digger Phelps says. But Brey is starting to look like that so-so looking girl at the bar who showed some interest in you as last call approached. Hopefully Kevin Anderson and Steve Bisciotti at least got in a few winning hands of blackjack on their trip to Vegas....not that Bisciotti needs the money.

Even with Brey, there is the whole Notre Dame contract extension that is seemingly being pushed forward by them, so he may not even really be an option.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-source-breys-notre-dame-extension-expected-soon-20110507,0,3309551.story

If Stevens actually is on the table for Maryland (and perhaps that 'mystery coach'), I hope they give him the full-court press. He's literally the only guy seemingly left (barring reconsideration from other parties) that I'd truly feel good about. Go get 'em, Kevin!

I don't put any stock in what Digger Phelps says. But Brey is starting to look like that so-so looking girl at the bar who showed some interest in you as last call approached. Hopefully Kevin Anderson and Steve Bisciotti at least got in a few winning hands of blackjack on their trip to Vegas....not that Bisciotti needs the money.

Fair enough' date=' to each their own. But when it comes to Notre Dame, Digger knows his stuff, IMO.

Is Stevens on par with Miller? I hate to see our AD jetting around the country only to get the door slammed in his face time and time again... talk about embarrassing wine and dine skills.

As far as in-game coaching, Miller is arguably the best, right now. As far as recruiting, Miller has him there. My only concern with Stevens is that he has only ever recruited Indiana kids. We have no body of work to suggest that Stevens could, or would even be willing to recruit from Maryland's back yard here. He could be a really good recruit, but we just don't know. I would be absolutely ecstatic to land Stevens.

Even with Brey, there is the whole Notre Dame contract extension that is seemingly being pushed forward by them, so he may not even really be an option.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-source-breys-notre-dame-extension-expected-soon-20110507,0,3309551.story

If Stevens actually is on the table for Maryland (and perhaps that 'mystery coach'), I hope they give him the full-court press. He's literally the only guy seemingly left (barring reconsideration from other parties) that I'd truly feel good about. Go get 'em, Kevin!

I get the feeling that Stevens is just fine staying at Butler until a top 5 - UNC, Duke, Kansas, UK - type of program becomes available.

Maryland's ability to land Stevens, or be relegated to the next tier of coaching options will be what settles the on going debate on here as to the lure of the Maryland basketball program.

Here's what I'm thinking. No one who is in a good situation is going to leave to come to MD, endure 2-3 years of rebuilding, and go toe to toe w/Duke and UNC every year. That rules out Dixon (interested or not), Brey, Barnes.

Stevens is a pipe dream. He's happy at Butler and in Indiana. Besides, the heat is on Tom Crean this year at IU. Even though its not available I think IU could be his dream job. I think Stevens is out.

The Terps next coach is going to be a guy who is looking to take a step up. I think it will be Turgeon. By most accounts he's a good coach but has little name recognition. This will be very similar to the Edsall hire. Not splashy but a guy who's done good work at a smaller place.

Am I crazy?:laughlol:

I get the feeling that Stevens is just fine staying at Butler until a top 5 - UNC, Duke, Kansas, UK - type of program becomes available.

If IU continues to under perform, I could see Butler jumping ship to be a Hoosier. That just makes way too much sense. You would almost wonder, even if we landed Stevens, would he jump ship to IU when that job inevitably opens up?

If IU continues to under perform, I could see Butler jumping ship to be a Hoosier. That just makes way too much sense. You would almost wonder, even if we landed Stevens, would he jump ship to IU when that job inevitably opens up?

BTW... fantastic job this weekend keeping us updated on what's going on. Much appreciated!

Maryland's ability to land Stevens, or be relegated to the next tier of coaching options will be what settles the on going debate on here as to the lure of the Maryland basketball program.

I'm not entirely sure about that. It is kind of late in the game as it is. That could be a factor working against the search right now and dampening the perceived appeal of the job, though to what extent I don't know. It certainly isn't being conducted under ideal conditions. Gary, like most head coaches with his kind of track record and tenure, could have had a year-long farewell tour, and prospective replacements a season to mull over the possibilities without entrenching themselves further in their current stations.

Is Stevens on par with Miller? I hate to see our AD jetting around the country only to get the door slammed in his face time and time again... talk about embarrassing wine and dine skills.

I think so. They're both great in-game tacticians. Miller would have been more familiar with the area recruiting scene from his time at Xavier, but I think Stevens could recruit well at UM. Especially if he keeps Bino Ranson on the staff to help make the transition.

BTW... fantastic job this weekend keeping us updated on what's going on. Much appreciated!

Thanks man, I appreciate you mentioning that.

I'm not entirely sure about that. It is kind of late in the game as it is. That could be a factor working against the search right now and dampening the perceived appeal of the job, though to what extent I don't know. It certainly isn't being conducted under ideal conditions. Gary, like most head coaches with his kind of track record and tenure, could have had a year-long farewell tour, and prospective replacements a season to mull over the possibilities without entrenching themselves further in their current stations.

I hear what you're saying, but if MD is the job people think it is, it shouldn't matter. It was late in the game with Kentucky landed Calipari too, who was going to be going to Arizona prior to Kentucky opening up.

Here's what I'm thinking. No one who is in a good situation is going to leave to come to MD, endure 2-3 years of rebuilding, and go toe to toe w/Duke and UNC every year. That rules out Dixon (interested or not), Brey, Barnes.

Stevens is a pipe dream. He's happy at Butler and in Indiana. Besides, the heat is on Tom Crean this year at IU. Even though its not available I think IU could be his dream job. I think Stevens is out.

The Terps next coach is going to be a guy who is looking to take a step up. I think it will be Turgeon. By most accounts he's a good coach but has little name recognition. This will be very similar to the Edsall hire. Not splashy but a guy who's done good work at a smaller place.

Am I crazy?:laughlol:

He wouldn't be the worst hire they could make. He's won at Texas A&M, a basketball wasteland in a conference with some very good programs.

Archived