New Coach Search

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean Miller staying at Arizona via multiple media outlets, including Jeff Goodman from Fox Sports:

Sean Miller told FOXSports.com that he is staying at Arizona after meeting with Maryland earlier this afternoon.

Bummer! Can't blame him though.

No, you can't blame him at all.

Ugh, as much time as I spent over at the UA boards the past couple of days I feel like one of them with how much I've learned about that program. Bottom line is that he has a chance, with the recruiting class he just brought in, and with the recruits he already has lined up next year, to be a legitimate NC contender over the next few years. Even if MD were his "dream job", he would have been giving up a rare opportunity to win it all. Those opportunities are not something you take for granted. Even the great Coach K has gone decades without winning a NC.

No, you can't blame him at all.

Ugh, as much time as I spent over at the UA boards the past couple of days I feel like one of them with how much I've learned about that program. Bottom line is that he has a chance, with the recruiting class he just brought in, and with the recruits he already has lined up next year, to be a legitimate NC contender over the next few years. Even if MD were his "dream job", he would have been giving up a rare opportunity to win it all. Those opportunities are not something you take for granted. Even the great Coach K has gone decades without winning a NC.

Jeff Goodman reporting via UA's Official Site that Miller has signed a contract extension. Starting to sound like we were being used. :mad:

Jeff Goodman reporting via UA's Official Site that Miller has signed a contract extension. Starting to sound like we were being used. :mad:

I really am not sure about that. We'll have to wait to learn more about it. As accinfo reported earlier in this thread, MD already has interviews lined up tomorrow. Anyone in their right mind had to know Miller had a ton of reasons to keep him put. I don't think MD was naive enough to think this was imminent by any stretch of the imagination.

This stings, he would have given us a chance to truly be elite, which is what all of us desire. Hopefully we still get a damn good coach. I just hope it's not Brey personally, but I'll have to educate myself a little more on his candidacy before making a true judgement.

Given how many different outlets were making this sound like it was a done deal, this is a cruel turn of events. I feel the same way.

That said, now that Miller is not in play, and Dixon and Wright apparently removed themselves from consideration, I'm starting to get less optimistic about the eventual hire. Mike Brey is 'ho-hum' for me, and Smart isn't sufficiently proven to be given the keys to a program like Maryland, in my opinion. Barnes? No thanks. Stevens? Apparent pipe-dream.

Would really like to know if that 'mystery coach' is for real, but even if he is, Maryland was seemingly waiting on him before pursuing Miller, according to some reports. That would mean, whoever he is, he already turned us down. :(

I really am not sure about that. We'll have to wait to learn more about it. As accinfo reported earlier in this thread, MD already has interviews lined up tomorrow. Anyone in their right mind had to know Miller had a ton of reasons to keep him put. I don't think MD was naive enough to think this was imminent by any stretch of the imagination.

This stings, he would have given us a chance to truly be elite, which is what all of us desire. Hopefully we still get a damn good coach. I just hope it's not Brey personally, but I'll have to educate myself a little more on his candidacy before making a true judgement.

"Sean and I have had many positive conversations and have been working on a revised contract for some time," said UA AD Greg Byrne. "I'm pleased to confirm that we have agreed to an amendment to Sean's contract that we hope will keep him in Tucson for many years to come."

Used

And I agree - it was a long shot and one worth taking. If he would have come here it would have meant great things for the program.. With that being said - according to UA's boards Miller was expressed disappointment recently that he didn't get an extension - now he has one.

Well, crap. If Miller, Wright and Dixon are out, and Stevens was probably never a possibility, there doesn't seem to be any appealing options left. I guess there's Tubby Smith, but he turns 60 next month and probably doesn't have many years of coaching left. Brey doesn't inspire me at all....he's pretty much the basketball version of Edsall. Crap.

I asked Brent Harris of Comcast SportsNet on Twitter if other candidates would feel insulted by not being the Terps first choice, he replied:

@rickersays Anderson, as I understand, was in communication with other candidate as he was heading to meet with Miller.. That looks good now

Now John Rothstein is speculating on Maryland's next target:

Who's next on Maryland's wish list? Have a feeling it won't be a "Shaka".

Well' date=' crap. If Miller, Wright and Dixon are out, and Stevens was probably never a possibility, there doesn't seem to be any appealing options left. I guess there's Tubby Smith, but he turns 60 next month and probably doesn't have many years of coaching left. Brey doesn't inspire me at all....he's pretty much the basketball version of Edsall. Crap.[/quote']

Evidently Brey is very well connected in the MD area with quality HS recruits. The issue at ND is that he can't get those kids into Notre Dame. Brey, while on the surface appears to be somewhat mediocre, could be a solid sleeper for us. Digger Phelps was on 105.7 The Fan on Friday and he spoke very highly of Brey and his ability to recruit top talent if he were to coach Maryland. I did see somewhere earlier today that Brey and Notre Dame were talking extention though, so who knows if he's even available.

I have absolutely zero interest in Tubby Smith. He is not the answer.

Archived