We need Prince Fielder as much as any team needs a single player!

GoldGlove21

We're at least two more bats, two more legitimate major league pitchers, two more bullpen arms, and one speedy guy for stolen bases and the like to be even a relative contender.

I disagree with this assessment. If I'm the O's, I'm seriously considering keeping Guthrie and Hardy, hoping Roberts is healthy, throwing a ton of money at Fielder and banking on the starting pitching taking the next developmental step.

I don't think Matusz has suddenly washed up. He'll be a good pitcher for us unless he becomes chronically injured. Guthrie is a valuable pitcher. Britton is a bona fide starter and so is Arrieta. With Fielder, our only "hole" on offense (on paper) would be LF/DH. You're basically looking at a team that needs health and one good starting pitcher, in addition to Fielder, to give the fans some hope of winning.

I know it seems like we're terrible, but our offensive catalyst has missed most of the year, our supposed Ace has missed most of the year and been ineffective when he's been back, our power hitting left fielder has been injured and our 1B hasn't produced at all. With some luck (health), this team really could have been a .500 team.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd give him a 6/$126M as an inital offer right out of the gate and make it known that it was my offer. Fan base gets to see the effort and it would let the agent look for a better offer. If he finds a better offer my last offer would be 6/$138M. I just don't see him getting $24M a year over a 6-year deal. I would be shocked to see him get a 7/$160M offer, but I think Boras uses Tex's contract as the starting point.

With who? The point I am making is that you upgrade when you can. We need a great starter and a middle of the order bat. Fielder provides one, but we may not be able to address the other for another year. Does that mean you wait and try to get both in one offseason? What legit bat is there in 2013 or 2014?

I'd give him a 6/$126M as an inital offer right out of the gate and make it known that it was my offer. Fan base gets to see the effort and it would let the agent look for a better offer. If he finds a better offer my last offer would be 6/$138M. I just don't see him getting $24M a year over a 6-year deal. I would be shocked to see him get a 7/$160M offer, but I think Boras uses Tex's contract as the starting point.

Ok, I say there is zero chance that gets him.

You want Fielder? You want to be serious about getting him to Baltimore? If you are, then you have to go into the negotations willing to put SEVEN years on the table at least 22 million a year...If you aren't willing to at least commit to that contract, then don't bother negotiating.

Offer him a 5 yr. 125 mil. deal. 2012-13, 20 mil per, 2014-16 @ 25 per yr. 2017, a club option of 23 mil or a 10 mil. buyout. Its the same deal Ryan Howard got, and if Prince doesnt like it, he can pound sand.

With who? The point I am making is that you upgrade when you can. We need a great starter and a middle of the order bat. Fielder provides one, but we may not be able to address the other for another year. Does that mean you wait and try to get both in one offseason? What legit bat is there in 2013 or 2014?

How high do you think the payroll can/will/should go?

Offer him a 5 yr. 125 mil. deal. 2012-13, 20 mil per, 2014-16 @ 25 per yr. 2017, a club option of 23 mil or a 10 mil. buyout. Its the same deal Ryan Howard got, and if Prince doesnt like it, he can pound sand.

He will get more than what Howard got...as he should.

This Fielder discussion really highlights how much of a rudderless ship the Orioles really are right now.

You either try to win with the talent you have or you try to build something the right way. The O's are 100% stuck in between. They won't spend to win with the talent we have, they won't sell current assets for prospects and they won't scale back on spending and re-invest the money into the Rule IV draft and international talent.

What a hopeless fandom this has become.

Unless the Orioles somehow come up with a certified #1 starter, extend Hardy and Jones, and Robert's can prove he is healthy (and can still play at a high level), Prince Fielder won't even give the Orioles the time of day, let alone consider signing a contract. Also, I honestly don't think that money will be the main objective for Fielder because no matter who signs him, he will get more than he can possibly spend in a lifetime.

This Fielder discussion really highlights how much of a rudderless ship the Orioles really are right now.

You either try to win with the talent you have or you try to build something the right way. The O's are 100% stuck in between. They won't spend to win with the talent we have, they won't sell current assets for prospects and they won't scale back on spending and re-invest the money into the Rule IV draft and international talent.

What a hopeless fandom this has become.

This is true...but it shouldn't be.

This team could deal a bunch of players and still be in as good or better shape entering 2012 as they would be if they kept all of those guys.

They just don't see it...Everything is short term thinking...There is very little vision or long term planning going on.

No, we are one bat and guys like Wieters, Markakis, Jones, Reynolds and Hardy playing up to their abilities. Thinking that Fielder will not be really good from 28-32 and probably above average the two years after that is short-sighted IMO.
I think Weiters, Markakis, Jones, Reynolds, and Hardy, are currently playing up to their potential. How much good is it doing us? We need SP. I was all for going after Fielder if Matusz, Bergesen, and Tillman, had showed some progress. But they can't be counted on. We need to sign 2 FA SP, if we trade Guthrie, a 2B, and a LF, more than we need one Fielder.

Ok, I say there is zero chance that gets him.

You want Fielder? You want to be serious about getting him to Baltimore? If you are, then you have to go into the negotations willing to put SEVEN years on the table at least 22 million a year...If you aren't willing to at least commit to that contract, then don't bother negotiating.

If I can front load the contract at $25M per for the first two season then I go 7/$144M, but I want to mitigate the risk of that 7th year a little. The 7th year of Fielder at $16M sounds much better than $22M or higher depending how it would be worked. I think a guy like Fielder wants to feel wanted and he hasn't with the Brewers. I go full court on the guy and make it clear he is priority #1 and #2. If given a meeting my goal would be for him or Boras to not walk out until a contract was signed.

If I can front load the contract at $25M per for the first two season then I go 7/$144M, but I want to mitigate the risk of that 7th year a little. The 7th year of Fielder at $16M sounds much better than $22M or higher depending how it would be worked. I think a guy like Fielder wants to feel wanted and he hasn't with the Brewers. I go full court on the guy and make it clear he is priority #1 and #2. If given a meeting my goal would be for him or Boras to not walk out until a contract was signed.

Why would you want to frontload the contract? There is a reason that contracts are never frontloaded. Money paid tomorrow is always better then money paid today.

All Fielder is going to ultimately care about is money.

It sounds to me that you want him bad but not bad enough to do what it takes to get him here.

This is true...but it shouldn't be.

This team could deal a bunch of players and still be in as good or better shape entering 2012 as they would be if they kept all of those guys.

They just don't see it...Everything is short term thinking...There is very little vision or long term planning going on.

peter-angelos.jpg

Archived