Would you make this trade

bigbird

This is the second reference in this thread to Wieters being ready next year. You guys are really pushing it if you think Wieters will be ready in that short a time.

What is the Hawaii league equal to? Delmarva? Frederick? He has not even played AA yet. He is still adjusting to wood bats. Can he hit a major league off speed pitch. I doubt if anyone knows yet.

He is an advanced college hitter..Like Ryan Zimmerman.

And even if he isn't ready until OD of 2009, that is still no reason not to make this trade.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the second reference in this thread to Wieters being ready next year. You guys are really pushing it if you think Wieters will be ready in that short a time.

What is the Hawaii league equal to? Delmarva? Frederick? He has not even played AA yet. He is still adjusting to wood bats. Can he hit a major league off speed pitch. I doubt if anyone knows yet.

It is almost improbable to think that Wieters won't be with the team to start the '09 season. I think its almost a certainty that he's up here in September. He's one of the most polished college bats of the last 10 drafts. He'll be able to hit major league pitching very quickly.

I think its more likely that he is in Baltimore by this July than it is that he isn't here by April 2009.

He is an advanced college hitter..Like Ryan Zimmerman.

And even if he isn't ready until OD of 2009, that is still no reason not to make this trade.

It's not a reason not to make it, but it is a reason to consider who is the O's starting catcher for 2008. And if this trade would be may, McPhail would have a pretty good idea of who that catcher would be before he made the trade. I think we have seen that McPhail is thoughtful enough to be sure this is true.

It's not a reason not to make it, but it is a reason to consider who is the O's starting catcher for 2008. And if this trade would be may, McPhail would have a pretty good idea of who that catcher would be before he made the trade. I think we have seen that McPhail is thoughtful enough to be sure this is true.

You are making way too big a deal out of this...You just go out and sign a catcher or trade for one.

This isn't difficult.

who cares who starts at catcher next year? As long as its someone who is not a complete disaster like Bako would be or Hernandez will be at SS, then its fine. Just get someone borderline competent and be done with it. Whether we win 68 or 71 games in 2008 is utterly irrelevant.

People talk about stopgap catchers like Hernandez was anything special last year. A Barrett or LaDuca type for 1 or 2 years wouldn't be such a bad thing. I think we could grab someone off the street better as a backup than Bako. As most have said this swap with the Rays is a no brainer.

It is almost improbable to think that Wieters won't be with the team to start the '09 season. I think its almost a certainty that he's up here in September. He's one of the most polished college bats of the last 10 drafts. He'll be able to hit major league pitching very quickly.

I think its more likely that he is in Baltimore by this July than it is that he isn't here by April 2009.

I hope you are right. I know we will see him in Sept. but that does not mean he will be ready. I am pull for him as much as the rest of you. I just think the project is a little fast. It might happen and then again he may take more time then that.

I hope you are right. I know we will see him in Sept. but that does not mean he will be ready. I am pull for him as much as the rest of you. I just think the project is a little fast. It might happen and then again he may take more time then that.

Well of course he can take more time....He may have injury issues...You never know.

But still, if you get a good haul for Ramon, like this would be, you make the move and worry about catcher after.

I think, barring injury, that he won't take longer than that. Had he signed right away in June, its very conceivable he would have been up last September.

People talk about stopgap catchers like Hernandez was anything special last year. A Barrett or LaDuca type for 1 or 2 years wouldn't be such a bad thing. I think we could grab someone off the street better as a backup than Bako. As most have said this swap with the Rays is a no brainer.

Furthermore having a Barrett or LoDuca type signed for only one year at a relatively inexpensive contract is a lot easier to trade at the deadline than an $8M Hernandez with another year left.

Conceivably you trade Hernandez now, sign a stopgap, then trade the stopgap for a prospect later.

Is there much chance that Gibbons hit like a girl because he was hurt? I'm not sticking up for him, and I mainly hope they can drag out the insurance thing for most of the season. I'm just curious about whether him being hurt might explain some of it. Myself, I don't have any idea...

They only acquired a potential starting SS and freed up CF for Pie. What's to be worried? :o

Infante isn't a starter and Jones was always likely going to be traded or just be platooned.

The bottom line is whether Dave likes it or not, according to our insiders, Pie will be in a Tejada deal.

Now, if the Cubs decide they would trade Rich Hill instead of Pie, maybe that changes things but that is about it.

Dave can see what he wants but our insiders are plugged in while he is riding the hope train that Pie isn't included.

Now, maybe the Cubs will get Fukudome and say they have enough offense to just go with what they have or that they will still take Tejada but for a lesser package...Personally, I think that is smarter for them than trading Pie and others for Miggy....But none of us are the ones making the decisions for the Cubs..Hendry is.

Archived