Would you make this trade

bigbird

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fully agree with you. Three guys at DH (Huff, Gibbons and Gomes) would be completely impractical.

Why do we need to keep trotting out pathetic DH options? There is no way Gibby should be seen as a DH next season. Other than not being able to hit, he's prefect for the job...

No, if the Orioles have a chance to make this trade- they hurry up and do it before the Tampa GM wakes up, sobers up, and realizes the mistake he has made.

:D

This could be a good trade for the O's if they can trade Huff and find a replacement for Hernandez at catcher but it is not the steal that a lot of posters are making it out to be. Hernandez as a front line catcher and pitching prospect has at least equal value to an oft injured outfielder and a DH that normally plays 60% of the games. The OH will not think it is such a good deal when Baldelli is on the DL and the O's are paying him $6M in 2009.

Wildcard...Do you only care about the here and now?

Doesn't the future of the team ever enter into your mind?

I do agree that people are acting as if TB would be dumb to do this trade while not looking at the big picture.

However, the trade is an absolute no brainer for the Orioles and in no way can it be justified in any other way but that.

Why do we need to keep trotting out pathetic DH options? There is no way Gibby should be seen as a DH next season. Other than not being able to hit, he's prefect for the job...

Well, until the O's make the annoucement that they are releasing him an eating the 11.9M on his contract, he is on the team and he will occupy a roster spot probably as a backup player. Nobody likes it, but it there anyway.

He seems untradable to me.

Well, until the O's make the annoucement that they are releasing him an eating the 11.9M on his contract, he is on the team and he will occupy a roster spot probably as a backup player. Nobody likes it, but it there anyway.

He seems untradable to me.

You don't have to wait until he's gone to find his replacement. If this team honestly plans to compete, they need to rid themselves of garbage like him. If you find a better option, you deal him or release him. It's really that simple. He cannot be here anymore. He is terrible and declining.

Wildcard...Do you only care about the here and now?

Doesn't the future of the team ever enter into your mind?

I do agree that people are acting as if TB would be dumb to do this trade while not looking at the big picture.

However, the trade is an absolute no brainer for the Orioles and in no way can it be justified in any other way but that.

I am not against the trade. I just think there are things the O's have to consider before they make it. Gibbons and Huff are two considerations and a starting catcher is another. Believe me if McPhail is even thinking about this trade he is considering those things.

And if the insiders are even close to being right we have had several hints that McPhail is not dismissing the short term. Here are some reasons why:

1) There is a comment by Cleveland GM that the GM meeting showed him that teams are leaning toward keeping young players.

2) The Cubs trade Jones making Pie their best CF at the moment. This may make Pie harder to acquire but there may be more to come there.

3) The insiders float that the O's are interested in 29 years old Jason Bay.

4) Now BB asks a leading question about Baldelli and Gomes.

5) Bay, Baldelli and Gomes are all options to make 2008 a better season. I don't think we can ignore that. And if the O's do make the kind of moves to make the 2008 team better they will need a decent replacement at catcher for Hernandez. Some not so good stop gap probably will not do if the O's are trying to get the best out of their pitching staff.

It may be that McPhail (pushed by the market) is not going to acquire a bunch of 20-24 year old prospects. Instead he may end up with a bunch of late 20's major leaguers that mesh real well with Bedard and BRob.

Just a thought.

Gibbons and Huff are two considerations
No they aren't...If you can get better, cheaper, younger players for their positions, you do it.
and a starting catcher is another
Who cares? Wieters may be here by July...Just sign a stop gap.
1) There is a comment by Cleveland GM that the GM meeting showed him that teams are leaning toward keeping young players.
Again, this is not the new concept you think it is.
2) The Cubs trade Jones making Pie their best CF at the moment. This may make Pie harder to acquire but there may be more to come there.

Trading Jones has no impact on a potential Tejada/Pie deal.

3) The insiders float that the O's are interested in 29 years old Jason Bay.

I doubt MacPhail is willing to give up a lot for him though...probably testing th waters to see if he can be had cheaply after a down year.

4) Now BB asks a leading question about Baldelli and Gomes.

5) Bay, Baldelli and Gomes are all options to make 2008 a better season. I don't think we can ignore that. And if the O's do make the kind of moves to make the 2008 team better they will need a decent replacement at catcher for Hernandez. Some not so good stop gap probably will not do if the O's are trying to get the best out of their pitching staff.

yes they are(if baldelli is healthy)...But they are also great long term options as well.

You don't have to wait until he's gone to find his replacement. If this team honestly plans to compete, they need to rid themselves of garbage like him. If you find a better option, you deal him or release him. It's really that simple. He cannot be here anymore. He is terrible and declining.

You don't know that Hernandez is terrible and declining. He wasn't in 2006. He was hurt in 2007. He also did not stay focused after the team started doing badly in August and Sept. That is not good but in itself it does not make him terrible or declining.

Now McPhail and Trembley may have judged that is part of the attitude problem on the team. If they have, they may trade him. They may trade him anyway if they get an offer that they can't refuse. Either way if they trade him McPhail is considering who his replacement will be. I doubt he would trade Hernandez without a pretty good idea of who could replace him.

Seriously, Gibbons and 1 of Millar/Huff (maybe both) will be gone.

2B Roberts

CF Baldelli

RF Markakis

SS Tejada

DH Gomes

1B Moore/Huff/Millar

3B Mora

C Free Agent

LF Reimold

Without any further moves, I like our lineup better. Of course, there will likely be more moves which makes the potential even greater. It might mean we focus on infielders and pitchers rather than outfielders for the likes of Tejada and Bedard though.

No they aren't...If you can get better, cheaper, younger players for their positions, you do it. Who cares? Wieters may be here by July...Just sign a stop gap.

Again, this is not the new concept you think it is.

Trading Jones has no impact on a potential Tejada/Pie deal.

I doubt MacPhail is willing to give up a lot for him though...probably testing th waters to see if he can be had cheaply after a down year.

yes they are(if baldelli is healthy)...But they are also great long term options as well.

This is the second reference in this thread to Wieters being ready next year. You guys are really pushing it if you think Wieters will be ready in that short a time.

What is the Hawaii league equal to? Delmarva? Frederick? He has not even played AA yet. He is still adjusting to wood bats. Can he hit a major league off speed pitch. I doubt if anyone knows yet.

Archived