Kevin Gregg just gained my respect

RyanW

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having just watched the pitch sequence again, Gregg really instituted this by throwing inside three times, each one further inside than the last. Technically, he was "in the wrong" for doing that.

You know what? I don't care. He made a statement tonight and the team needed someone to do it.

I disagree. Papi acted like a wuss after the 2nd pitch,which wasn"'t that far inside. that's when Gregg doubled down by going way inside.

Why on Earth did the ump throw Gregg out of the game for telling Big Fatti to run? Completely mishandled. If he were really serious about preventing this sort of thing, Ortiz would have been tossed once he crossed into he infield the first time. That's what I would have done in his place.

Actually, the ump handled it right. Both benches cleared the previous pitch when Papi cried about a really inside hip high fastball. Both benches were warned so, the next problem someone was going to get thrown out.

I'm proud of the way the Orioles went down fighting last night The Red Sox and their high payroll and their obnoxious fans taking over Camden Yards whenever the Red Sox come to Baltimore. I'm sick of this.

Ortiz had no business complaining and gesturing after 3 inside pitches, none of which were close to hitting him or in the head area. Then, swinging on 3-0 with his team way up in the game, that was another show of arrogance and lack of sportsmanship.

Gregg said it better than I can. I just wish that he had connected on that haymaker which missed Ortiz' chin by about one inch.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...-orioles_n.htm

"I think you show them that we're not backing down. We're not scared of them — them and their $180 million payroll," said Gregg, who angered Ortiz with back-to-back inside pitches. "We don't care. We're here to play the game. We have just as much right to play the game here and we're going to do everything we can to win."

...."They're going to whine and complain about it because they think they're better than everybody else, but no, we have just as much right to pitch inside as they do. This is a team sport. I take offense to every run scored off every one of our pitchers. I take offense to every one of our hitters that's hit every time I'm out there," Gregg said. "You get tired of getting your butt kicked every night when you come in here and I'm going to stick up for what's ours and try to get the plate back."

In one of the alternate angles, I'm pretty sure I sure D. Lee send a forearm in the direction of Papi's face. Points for Silky D!

And kudos to Nick for actually saying something of substance in his post game interview, calling Papi's actions bush league.

That was the most valuable thing Gregg has done for this team all year. When he was acquired, Andy and Buck both mentioned he was the kind of guy who could lead a bullpen. This is what they were talking about. I don't care about the run he allowed. I'm proud he conducted himself as he did.

At least for the moment he's now my favorite Oriole. Maybe that's our new direction - the O's can become the old Raiders or the Pistons. Or the 1890s Orioles.

That was awesome. I love his attitude..I thought he was 100% correct with everything he said.

It really is nice to see passion out of the players. I understand it's a 162 game season and players can't live and die with every AB or game like the diehard fans do, but something like this just sort of shows that yes, these guys are just as f-ing disgusted with this as we are.

If nothing else, for the first time in a few weeks I'm actually looking forward to watching a game!

In one of the alternate angles, I'm pretty sure I sure D. Lee send a forearm in the direction of Papi's face. Points for Silky D!

And kudos to Nick for actually saying something of substance in his post game interview, calling Papi's actions bush league.

Lee and Weiters did exactly as they should in this type of situation. Thumbs up to them.

What did Nick have to say?

Did anyone notice Jones/Nick during this "brawl?" Curious on where they were as team leaders. Not that it matters TOO much IMO

Lee and Weiters did exactly as they should in this type of situation. Thumbs up to them.

What did Nick have to say?

Did anyone notice Jones/Nick during this "brawl?" Curious on where they were as team leaders. Not that it matters TOO much IMO

I like the guy, I like Ortiz," Orioles right fielder Nick Markakis said. "I respect the way he plays the game, but I think it was a little bush league, bottom of the eighth, up by [seven], two outs, swinging 3-0. I don’t think we were hitting anybody intentionally there. If it has to come down to that, it has to come down to it. He knows how to play the game. I think he’s going to look back at it and realize that he screwed up there, but what happened, happened. It’s over.”

Orioles center field Adam Jones called the incident: “sure as [heck] necessary,” and said that he “couldn’t be prouder” of Gregg, the first-year Orioles closer. Markakis echoed those sentiments.

"If you ask me, this happened in the right spot at the right time,” Markakis said. “We still got two more games left with these guys and we have seven more games after the break. We’re going to see them. We’re going to get our opportunities and they’re going to get their opportunities. We’ll see how it works out.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-benches-clear-as-red-sox-beat-orioles-103-20110708,0,3572068.story

At to where Jones and Nick were during the brawl, Big Papi was already charging Gregg as Jones was making his throw to home plate.

Having just watched the pitch sequence again, Gregg really instituted this by throwing inside three times, each one further inside than the last. Technically, he was "in the wrong" for doing that.

You know what? I don't care. He made a statement tonight and the team needed someone to do it.

If you throw inside to move someone off the plate and he doesn't move, don't you have to throw it further inside on the next pitch?

Archived