Anyone doing an All-Star game thread

billybang

WAR schmor.. He's' got 8 hr and 34 RBI while batting .260. Be advised in my book that’s not All-Star caliber

Stop lowering the standards

Compare that to every other catcher in the league. The dude doesn't play first base, you can only compare him to his peers. Luckily they don't go by your book.

EDIT: Or, in other words, which catcher should they have picked instead of him?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Compare that to every other catcher in the league. The dude doesn't play first base, you can only compare him to his peers. Luckily they don't go by your book.

EDIT: Or, in other words, which catcher should they have picked instead of him?

In that case defensively he’s not the best. Ever look at our staff ERA. He calls a horrible game behind the plate

f

WAR schmor.. He's' got 8 hr and 34 RBI while batting .260. Be advised in my book that’s not All-Star caliber

Stop lowering the standards

Be advised that, in most baseball circles, WAR is a vastly superior indicator of player value than things like batting average and RBI. Not that traditional stats don't have their place. But he's going up against other catchers for that spot. Not every other AL player. And by value, he's either the second or third most valuable catcher in the AL. That isn't an opinion. It's a quantitative fact.

quantitative fact

He's' got 8 hr and 34 RBI while batting .260

quantitative fact

he's on pace for 15 homers and 70 rbi which is his career average

quantitative fact

Rather than fooling ourselves in thinking he’s a bonafide all-star. Let’s grasp reality and come to the fact about the possibility he’s a bust

Handling pitchers is the most important aspect of catching

But statistics say that a catcher has little to no effect on the ERA of his pitching staff... so while it is important, how is it an aspect that he can control? He can't force the pitchers to throw a strike even if that's where his glove is. His offense is above average for a catcher and his defense is absolutely outstanding.

Rather than fooling ourselves in thinking he’s a bonafide all-star. Let’s grasp reality and come to the fact about the possibility he’s a bust

This statement is absolutely false. Say what you will, maybe you don't think he an All-Star caliber player, but the dude is not a bust. He's already an above average catcher and he's in his third season.

quantitative fact

He's' got 8 hr and 34 RBI while batting .260

quantitative fact

he's on pace for 15 homers and 70 rbi which is his career average

quantitative fact

Quantitative fact:

He was chosen by the All Star manager from among ALL our players. He played probably the most important position (besides pitcher) for all the late innings. I'm sorry, but I'll take Ron Washington's opinion over your intensely negative (and uninformed) opinion. ;)

Quantitative fact:

He was chosen by the All Star manager from among ALL our players. He played probably the most important position (besides pitcher) for all the late innings. I'm sorry, but I'll take Ron Washington's opinion over your intensely negative (and uninformed) opinion. ;)

I , of course, agree with my friend scOtt.

Is it just me? Or was that one of the most boring All Star games ever?

I only watched a little of it, but it was indeed boring (the little that I watched, plus the rest of the game that I read about).

The one exception was in the top of the 7th inning, when we were down 4-1, but had the tying run at the plate, and the go-ahead run on deck .............. which happened to be Matt Wieters !!! I was excited, particularly at the prospect of Wieters coming to bat with a chance to hit a 3-run (or grand slam) homer to give us a 5-4 lead, and almost certainly ensure the MVP for him.

It wasn't to be though, as Kendrick grounded out to second, ending the inning and the chance for Matt to be a hero. :(

Archived