In the Long Run, Would We Be Better Off Dealing Jones?

Greg Pappas

I'm referring to a trade that nets two/three pitching prospects for Adam Jones... would that be the right call moving forward?

Some examples...

...to Atlanta for LHP Mike Minor, and RHP Randall Delgado.

...to the Tigers for RHP Jacob Turner and LHP Casey Crosby.

...to the Rangers for LHP Martin Perez and LHP Robbie Erlin.

These are just examples. However, would these sort of deals be better for the team than keeping Jones alone?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm referring to a trade that nets two/three pitching prospects for Adam Jones... would that be the right call moving forward?

Some examples...

These are just examples. However, would these sort of deals be better for the team than keeping Jones alone?

Unless we are getting a deal that would be deemed a "team friendly" deal, we should be looking at dealing him.

Some examples...

If Colby Rasmus happened to fall into our laps for Guts, I'd be all for exploring potential trade options for Jones in the offseason. I'm sure there would be a very good market for AJ.

Some examples...

I don't know anything about those MiLers.

That being said, I cannot for the life of me understand those who want to trade Jones. (1) the Orioles' scouting/development people have proven themselves, time and again, to be borderline inept, so the odds of netting the kind of return for Jones that the O's would need seem poor, IMO. (2) the mere fact that Jones is one of the few legitimate trade pieces the O's have doesn't mean that it "makes sense" (as some have argued) to move him. Fact is that the O's are thin throughout the organization. If they had built-in redundancies to account for the loss of Jones while augmenting the MiL system, that'd be one thing, but trading him without a ready replacement makes little sense to me.

It's been, and remains, my opinion that the Orioles have to spend their way out of their current predicament. That means spending more on FA and overhauling the player development system (i.e. replacing the people who're there now (who would also play roles in Jones' trade-return)...because evidently they're terrible).

The only way Jones should be traded anytime soon is if the O's choose to commit to another, multi-year rebuild (translation: Jones, Markakis, Britton, Matusz, Wieters should all be put in play for multi-prospect returns).

The only way Jones should be traded anytime soon is if the O's choose to commit to another, multi-year rebuild (translation: Jones, Markakis, Britton, Matusz, Wieters should all be put in play for multi-prospect returns).

QFT. Trade Jones and you'd better blow the whole thing up. Jones is the leader and new face of this team.

Buck loves the guy from his quotes so he's going nowhere while Buck is manager IMO.

That being said, I cannot for the life of me understand those who want to trade Jones. (1) the Orioles' scouting/development people have proven themselves, time and again, to be borderline inept, so the odds of netting the kind of return for Jones that the O's would need seem poor, IMO. (2) the mere fact that Jones is one of the few legitimate trade pieces the O's have doesn't mean that it "makes sense" (as some have argued) to move him. Fact is that the O's are thin throughout the organization. If they had built-in redundancies to account for the loss of Jones while augmenting the MiL system, that'd be one thing, but trading him without a ready replacement makes little sense to me.

It's been, and remains, my opinion that the Orioles have to spend their way out of their current predicament. That means spending more on FA and overhauling the player development system (i.e. replacing the people who're there now (who would also play roles in Jones' trade-return)...because evidently they're terrible).

Quality reasoning for keeping him. I am on the fence myself, with a slight lean toward trading him in the right deal. Therein lies the tricky part. Regardless, AM dealing Jones seems like a fantasy consideration.

Quality reasoning for keeping him. I am on the fence myself, with a slight lean toward trading him in the right deal. Therein lies the tricky part. Regardless, AM dealing Jones seems like a fantasy consideration.

As some people have mentioned, as long as "2110" remains a promotional tool at Camden, I also doubt anything'll happen with Jones trade-wise.

I'm also inclined to agree with Trea in this area (particularly if Jones actually does hit the 30-HR mark, which he's on pace for. I think 30HRs with a plus-.800 OPS would have to be considered a "breakout" for Jones, and it'd mark one of the few moves in recent memory that's worked out for Baltimore. That's a lot of social currency to risk with the fanbase when you start talking trade).

This is the proper way to go forward.

Save the big money for true stars

Define true star...

I don't know why it is so hard to understand, "true stars" don't want to come to Baltimore. Thats a fact Jack!

If Colby Rasmus happened to fall into our laps for Guts, I'd be all for exploring potential trade options for Jones in the offseason. I'm sure there would be a very good market for AJ.

Rasmus would be a downgrade,,, plain and simple

Jones is on pace for around 30 HR and 100 RBI. He's probably having the best offensive year of any O. Let's fix some of the gaping holes the O's have before getting rid of the few dependable offensive players we have. If Jones moved to left field what are the affordable options in free agency this offseason.

Yes we would be better off long term, short term and any other type of term there is :laughlol:

As RJNZ said he is a good not great player and we cant afford to pay good not great players 10+ million unless all of a sudden PA approves a 120 million dollar payroll.

Some examples...

No way I trade him to Atlanta without getting Julio Teheran back.

Archived