MacPhail Coming Back?

brotherlo38

Allow me to interrupt the general hand-wringing festival for this brief announcement -

For years, this is so par for the course with Angelos. It's not going to change! I don't like it. However, at the moment, I'm much more ticked off that the Yankees are still in the playoffs.

I asked this in another thread, so I'll try this again. Does it matter that the announcement, if any, comes this week instead of last week? Really?"If it makes anyone feel better, the Red Sox need a manager and they might need a general manager. The Angels and Cubs need a GM. " - Roch

Probably not. PA is the biggest problem.

However, that doesn't mean it doesn't look unorganized, unprofessional and ridiculously poor on the part of the organization.

Pathetic.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to see AM back and am mildly encouraged by the news - though the process is a bit more complicated than necessary.

I think 2011 was a decent year from the GM's point of view - many solid/strong moves on the trade front, international prospects emerging, etc.

I think when we hired Buck that our FO between AM and BS was the best we've seen in years and I still feel that way.

Wow, that's one hell of a ringing endorsement!! :rolleyes:

I would like to see AM back and am mildly encouraged by the news - though the process is a bit more complicated than necessary.

I think 2011 was a decent year from the GM's point of view - many solid/strong moves on the trade front, international prospects emerging, etc.

I think when we hired Buck that our FO between AM and BS was the best we've seen in years and I still feel that way.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, because I think we have made some very good moves over the last few years. But they need to be more aggressive in several aspects to really change the direction of this franchise. And I don't know if the current setup is capable of that. The trades have been great, but we are going to have to be more aggressive in free agency and a lot more aggressive in the international market if we want to compete in the near future. We are making baby steps, and that is fine, but at this pace, if everything breaks right (which it never does), by the time we are on the cusp of contending, all of the good players that we currently have like Markakis and Jones are either going to be on the downside of their career or playing elsewhere. Then we would be right back at square one with a few good players like Machado and Bundy (hopefully) and a bunch of spare parts.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, because I think we have made some very good moves over the last few years. But they need to be more aggressive in several aspects to really change the direction of this franchise. And I don't know if the current setup is capable of that. The trades have been great, but we are going to have to be more aggressive in free agency and a lot more aggressive in the international market if we want to compete in the near future. We are making baby steps, and that is fine, but at this pace, if everything breaks right (which it never does), by the time we are on the cusp of contending, all of the good players that we currently have like Markakis and Jones are either going to be on the downside of their career or playing elsewhere. Then we would be right back at square one with a few good players like Machado and Bundy (hopefully) and a bunch of spare parts.

100% agree. Rebuilding must take only 3 or 4 years max. You can't rebuild over a 6 or 7 year period. If we started from scratch today we would have to plan on winning in 2015. Players peak, and free agency begins way to quickly to take baby steps.

Year 1 - Aquire lots of young talent.

Year 2 - develop young talent add some peices

Year 3 - Add final peices with 1 or 2 big talent aquisitions.

Year 4 - Make your run

Year 5 - make your run

Year 6 - make your run...and if it's not working dismattle and start at year 1.

100% agree. Rebuilding must take only 3 or 4 years max. You can't rebuild over a 6 or 7 year period. If we started from scratch today we would have to plan on winning in 2015. Players peak, and free agency begins way to quickly to take baby steps.

Year 1 - Aquire lots of young talent.

Year 2 - develop young talent add some peices

Year 3 - Add final peices with 1 or 2 big talent aquisitions.

Year 4 - Make your run

Year 5 - make your run

Year 6 - make your run...and if it's not working dismattle and start at year 1.

If you buy and sell at the same time, you can contend much quicker if you make the right trades and acquire the right players.

Archived