Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of these people are currently employed by other teams and would not be available for interview until the season was over. Also, MLB discourages teams from making news during the playoffs and WS. As far as the time taken is concerned, it really is a non-issue. These guys know what is going on around the game. They also know there are only 32 of these jobs in the world. They are rarely turned down because they don't come around that often. Girardi could say no because he knew the NY job would be there for the taking. That is rarely the case for others. Buck was probably the best available unemployed manager when we were looking. He said yes, and the same will be true for whoever they decide on for GM.

We really need to learn what's worth getting our panties in a knot and what isn't.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...this process will take entirely too long. I agree with SG that we'll get Ricciardi...we'll make an awful choice here. This has disaster written all over it.

I also have a really, really bad feeling about Ricciardi. My gut feeling is that Angelos and Showalter will hideously overvalue Ricciardi's experience. That, and the fact the Orioles make such awful decisions in situations like this.

All of these people are currently employed by other teams and would not be available for interview until the season was over. Also, MLB discourages teams from making news during the playoffs and WS. As far as the time taken is concerned, it really is a non-issue. These guys know what is going on around the game. They also know there are only 32 of these jobs in the world. They are rarely turned down because they don't come around that often. Girardi could say no because he knew the NY job would be there for the taking. That is rarely the case for others. Buck was probably the best available unemployed manager when we were looking. He said yes, and the same will be true for whoever they decide on for GM.

We really need to learn what's worth getting our panties in a knot and what isn't.

I guess there is an MLB exception for Boston because Theo is being considered for the Cubs job as we speak and an announcement could be forth coming in a day or two. I believe the protocol is a team usually gives permission for a guy to be interviewed if the job would involve a promotion. In Theo's case the Cubs job would be President as well as GM. In the case of Levine, LaCava, and Hunsecker it would definitely be a promotion.

TonyS is scaring me above, that it's John Angelos Buck and Smouse... Then plenty of time for PA to review and then have a SECOND round of interviews...
Well, Halloween is about three weeks away. :D (where has this year gone?)

ghost-animatedCute_Boo.gif

Business as usual. One of the reasons Wren is in Atlanta, besides the Ripken airplane business, is that Wren wasn't shy about telling John to stay out of matters that he didn't think was of his concern.

What's the deal with Brynes, why so high on him? I did a quick Wikipedia search and it didnt reveal anything spectacular in terms of deals made. What am I missing?

My friend just sent me a text and said he knows him personally and they worked together in Arizona. He said Josh is definitely a quality guy. Let me see if I can get any more info on him.

A GM decision really can't wait until the WS is over. Teams have a very small window to negotiate with players after the WS and before they become free agents.

My friend just sent me a text and said he knows him personally and they worked together in Arizona. He said Josh is definitely a quality guy. Let me see if I can get any more info on him.

You appear to have some interesting friends in different places. Just be careful as some posters on the board are so hungry for information that they will take what you say as gospel and hold you accountable forever if you are wrong. Thanks for coming on to the board and posting. Look forward to more interesting discussions in the future.

Nah, it is legit and I really don't have anything inside quite yet. He doesn't talk to his Dad every day, he just knows these people because he worked with them.

I also got a response back from him about Brynes. He said he is a great leader, great administrator but probably not a good fit for the O's. Not as strong on player development and scouting as Tony. Pretty much exact words.

He knows these guys, so it is pretty cool. I am just hoping we get Tony because I will definitely be on the "know". Ha ha.

I would bet Buck is pushing for Hunsicker. He's been said to be an admirer, and Hunsicker has the proven track record and helped to mold the Rays into what they are today.

And Hunsicker would probably like to get a chance to work with a bigger budget again...

Interesting that four of the candidates (Levine, LaCava, Jennings, and Hunsicker) are directly connected to international scouting or come from organizations known for it.

Tampa isn't known for it. Which increases the likelihood that Hunsicker will be the choice.

Tampa isn't known for it. Which increases the likelihood that Hunsicker will be the choice.

The Rays may not be big players, but Hunsicker obviously values international markets.

Gerry Hunsicker touches all areas of baseball operations. He has been particularly instrumental in helping to establish the Rays international program. Over the past three years, the Rays have created a significant presence in Venezuela, Dominican Republic and Colombia. In December 2008, the team and the city of Marília, Brazil, announced a partnership that includes construction of a training facility, the first baseball academy run by a major league organization in Brazil. In 2009, the Rays also expanded efforts in Asia and Europe.

http://mlb.mlb.com/tb/team/exe_bios/hunsicker_gerry.html

This is also a very good read.

Archived