Your Basketball Team's Update Thread

PrivateO

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alabama took out Anthony Grant's old team in a tough defensive battle the other night and is going to face Georgetown tomorrow in a game I can't wait for. I love Anthony Grant's defensive style of basketball. He's really turned Alabama into a tough team to face.

Gonna have to miss the game tonight, didn't think through the downfalls of scheduling a 6:30-8:50 thursday night class...

Whew, what a game! Did anyone see it? Shame it was only on ESPNU.

That was one of the worst Xavier performances I have ever seen. Way worse than Marquette last year. My god, for most of the first half we had more turnovers than points. Really Purdue just dominated this game for 30 minutes. While Hummel didn't do much, their point guard definitely helped them.

With 10 to go down 19, things just started clicking. When you have a POY candidate as your PG and (in my opinion) an All American SG, you can come back. Again, Holloway and Lyons put the team on their backs, Holloway finishing with 21 and Lyons with 14. In a minute and 30 seconds (from 1:51 to 0:19), Holloway had 11 points. That was the loudest I have ever witnessed Cintas Center.

There's still a lot to be said about the frontcourt of this team, but if they figure it out, the Musketeers can be scary good. I don't think we're Top 10 material yet, but the pieces are there.

Up this week:

@ Butler (9 PM, Wednesday, ESPN). Really considering making the 2 hour drive west to go.

vs. Cincinnati. (12:30 PM, Saturday, ESPN2). Crosstown Shootout. Always a good game.

(Funny story about yesterday. My friend left the game at about the time we're down 19 because he had to shower to go out somewhere to dinner. When he realizes we're coming back, he decides he's coming back, which is obviously against the rules. No re-entry into Cintas Center. He opened one of the doors, saw a security guard start walking to him, and just sprinted down the concourse back to the student section. Made it back with 2 minutes to go.)

Alabama took out Anthony Grant's old team in a tough defensive battle the other night and is going to face Georgetown tomorrow in a game I can't wait for. I love Anthony Grant's defensive style of basketball. He's really turned Alabama into a tough team to face.

Man, you guys really turned it on defensively the last 10 minutes of that game (VCU game); I thought we had you. I cannot wait for ya'll to come to VCU next year!

Sometimes I'm amazed UMBC still has a basketball team. Winless so far this season, and been really bad the last two seasons, and a very young team comprised of mostly freshman and sophomores this season, with only one senior on the entire team. Their best player, who was preseason all-conference first-team selection, recently left the team for personal reasons, granted he already had earned his bachelor's. It's been a long, hard fall from the 07-08 and 08-09 seasons. Admittedly I haven't been as up to date on them as in past seasons, but than again, they've clearly given me no reason to.

Difficult game for UConn tonight as they host Harvard at Gampel, the real home court.

UConn is still trying to find their identity and get players to understand their roles while Harvard is playing very good basketball. Harvard is looking for a marquee win on ESPN and trying to prove/show everyone they are a legit team. They shoot the 3 fairly well and UConn has struggled defending the 3 in the early season. Because Harvard shoots a lot of long jump shots that will lead to long rebounds on the offensive end and UConn has been inconsistent controlling the boards and preventing 2nd chance opportunities.

However, Calhoun and the staff have since sunday to prepare for the game and they have a 10 day layoff after tonights game because of exams and winter break coming up. I highly doubt UConn loses this game tonight because the team will not want to have to deal with Calhoun over the next 10 days if they do lose. This is a must win for the young Huskies as their non conference schedule is very weak but this is the best team they play OOC. They need to pick up this win so if they hit a rough patch during BE play.

Boatright should be able to penetrate at will and cause havoc. He is very Iverson like and there will be no one who can stay in front of him on Harvard, or most teams in the country. There have been 2 former UConn players and a coach of another team that have said Boatright has a very similar game to AI and Calhoun has tempered those praises by saying not really but he can see the similarities. Bazz and Lamb should have a big game and I could see the front court struggling because Harvard will outsmart them down low and Drummond is still learning. Oriahki needs to have a big game tonight and show his leadership/experience to help neutralize things in the post.

Heading up to Storrs in 2 hours. Sitting in section 110 (across from UConn bench) just not sure what row yet. Probably 2-5th row from court, will find out when I sign in at Gampel to pick up my ticket.

X beats Butler 73-61 to improve to 7-0. I was actually lucky to attend the game at Hinkle, which was very fun. I'd say 1000 of the 7000 there were Musketeer fans, which certainly made it an exciting game. Not sure if you could here any "Let's go X" or "Let's go Muskies" cheers on TV, but we were loud and proud in the fieldhouse. (Sidenote: For a team that has back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Finals, Butler does not have a good student section. Part of it is due to the layout of Hinkle, but numerous times they would just let us do our chants without even trying to drown us out.)

Holloway played poorly, making only one basket but finishing with 16 points. It was a really ugly game. Terrible officiating on both sides, as the refs would go from letting them play to ticky-tack fouls in a matter of minutes. Besides a run by Butler in the beginning of the 2nd half, this was all Xavier. Unfortunately, I still don't see that this team is playing to its potential, which is pretty scary. Kenny Frease has got to step up and not get in foul trouble early. I can't wait to see this team play a full 40 minutes of solid basketball. Freshman Dez Wells had a great game, finishing with 13 points and a Sportcenter #3 Top Ten play. Other top scorers were Lyons with 16 and Travis Taylor with 9.

Next up at 12:30 on Saturday is the Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout versus the Bearcats of Cincinnati (ESPN2). This is one of the most underrated rivalries in the country. As we speak, hundreds of Xavier students are lining up to camp for tickets. I'll be joining them momentarily. So I'll see you all on Saturday!

Archived