Your Basketball Team's Update Thread

PrivateO

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duke with a very uninspiring win over St. John's yesterday. Rivers forces everything and tries to do too much himself. None of the other guards are a threat to score inside the arc. None of them are great defenders. This is the weakest Duke team in a long time.

Yep....The lack of defense on the perimeter is amazing.

The one thing I will say about Duke that is developing into a great thing for them is the play of Mason Plumlee down low.

If he continues to be a legit option down low, Duke will be able to pound it inside and teams will eventually leave their shooters open for 3.

I think K needs to go away from man to man defense with this team and use the zone more. Pack that lane as much as possible and use your size down low to your advantage.

BTW, this Duke team really lacks leadership on the court. They have had a lot of big leads in the second half of games this year that they have let slip away. They were demolishing St Johns and then they just got complacent. They have done that time after time this year. Its like they think the game is done when they get up 15 with 12 minutes left to play.

Yep....The lack of defense on the perimeter is amazing.

The one thing I will say about Duke that is developing into a great thing for them is the play of Mason Plumlee down low.

If he continues to be a legit option down low, Duke will be able to pound it inside and teams will eventually leave their shooters open for 3.

I think K needs to go away from man to man defense with this team and use the zone more. Pack that lane as much as possible and use your size down low to your advantage.

BTW, this Duke team really lacks leadership on the court. They have had a lot of big leads in the second half of games this year that they have let slip away. They were demolishing St Johns and then they just got complacent. They have done that time after time this year. Its like they think the game is done when they get up 15 with 12 minutes left to play.

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2012/jan/29/wssport01-right-now-duke-doesnt-have-what-it-takes-ar-1866839/

Anything short of that is a disappointment.

Is this team mentally focused enough to win a title? That's the biggest question.

Mental focus might be something, but I think it's going to be...as with Duke...perimeter defense. The lack of Stickland is going to loom large.

A10 has really been well balanced as you said. A10 always awesome. Going to X vs. GW this Tuesday. Can't wait.

So how was the game?

When I saw the stat that says Xavier has the best 3 point shooting defense in the A10, I was shocked. Ever since the Dayton game, we have been god awful at it, and last night was no exception. Mikic had a ton, and at one point, 18 of GW's 21 points were made from behind the arc. Xavier has a big matchup problem when the opposing teams' bigs can shoot 3's.

But other than that, I thought it was a solid game. Lyons was out of control in the first half, which is why I believe he sat for the last 3 minutes of the half and the first 6 minutes of the 2nd. Tu Holloway put the team on his back, again. Not sure where you were sitting, but when he scored to put us up, it was definitely not a travel. I think we got lucky on that out-of-bounds call after the Colonials' free throw though. I was shocked they missed 3 bunnies right in front of the basket as time expired.

On another note, the A10 continues to be a cluster****. #1 UMass lost to Rhode Island, who was fresh off their first conference win at Dayton. SLU beat the Bonnies in a route, which apparently had a slew of questionable foul calls on both teams. Dayton lost again to Duquesne; the Flyers haven't won a game since beating Xavier two weeks ago. Atop the A10 are the Temple Owls, who, with Michael Eric returning from injury, are now the team to beat and my favorite to win the conference.

Duke beat VaTech by 15 last night, but it was a more lopsided game than that. Duke led by 22 with 11 minutes to play and coasted from there. That was my first look at VaTech this season and they just looked awful. What's happened to the Hokies? They usually give Duke a very tough game.

Archived