Mariners close to trading for "Young Impact Hitter" from Yankees

wellsk86

What's your opinion of the trade Stotle? Who do you think got the better deal?

I like the deal for both teams. Seattle is looking at 2013 or 2014 as a window to start competing. Their young hitters will still be cost controlled by then and they have Hultzen/Walker/Paxton coming up. Franklin should be ready around 2013, as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if Felix Hernandez is traded at some point for a package of young, ML-ready players.

The Yankees get a cheap young potential front-end arm in exchange for a valuable but redundant piece.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the deal for both teams. Seattle is looking at 2013 or 2014 as a window to start competing. Their young hitters will still be cost controlled by then and they have Hultzen/Walker/Paxton coming up. Franklin should be ready around 2013, as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if Felix Hernandez is traded at some point for a package of young, ML-ready players.

The Yankees get a cheap young potential front-end arm in exchange for a valuable but redundant piece.

They could trade Hernandez for a King's ransom. No pun intended.

That's before he puts the horseshoe elixer in his body . He'll probably have 400 strikeouts this year.

I completely forgot about the Bartolo sauce. You are right.

BTW Seattle thought it was smarter to sell their young 1/2 rather than sign Prince. Think about that.

They could trade Hernandez for a King's ransom. No pun intended.

Yeah. They will have so much cost-controlled talent that they can decide whether to ride him out or move him. There were a lot of good arms drafted this past year that could be ready at some point in 2013 or to start 2014. Seattle could turn Felix into two of them plus a bat at this time next year.

I completely forgot about the Bartolo sauce. You are right.

BTW Seattle thought it was smarter to sell their young 1/2 rather than sign Prince. Think about that.

Or Prince told them he wasn't interested. No way to know.

Bad offensive ballpark + bad team + Angels and Rangers might mean that Seattle wasn't a realistic possibility.

Interesting to see that four years after the terrible-for-Seattle Bedard trade, the Mariners have put themselves into a very competitive position going into 2013. And the Os? Not so much.

The Mariners are righting their ship (to a degree) and the Os continue to aimlessly drift.

Archived