Koji Almost Out Of Texas

Brendan25

Oakland sure can make some head scratching moves sometimes. Uehara is great and all but they're still going to be fighting the Mariners for last place with or without an expensive old reliever and an overpaid CF and a huge question mark of a Cuban OF'er.

I'm kind of glad we didn't get Koji back...I've got a feeling we squeezed his best year out of him and from this point he'll do what most asian pitchers do after a handful of seasons. Get worse.

Oakland sure can make some head scratching moves sometimes. Uehara is great and all but they're still going to be fighting the Mariners for last place with or without an expensive old reliever and an overpaid CF and a huge question mark of a Cuban OF'er.

I'm kind of glad we didn't get Koji back...I've got a feeling we squeezed his best year out of him and from this point he'll do what most asian pitchers do after a handful of seasons. Get worse.

Look at us. We traded for a mediocre reliever in Lindstrom who isn't cheap, too.

Regardless of how bad you are, you still need pitchers to get outs.

I loved Koji while he was here, but I do think he's finished. Glad he's not coming back here.

Look at us. We traded for a mediocre reliever in Lindstrom who isn't cheap, too.

Regardless of how bad you are, you still need pitchers to get outs.

I loved Koji while he was here, but I do think he's finished. Glad he's not coming back here.

Why do you think he's finished? His poor stretch in Texas was very short and very SSS.

He's bound to get hurt at some point and his 2011 season was probably the peak of his career. He might be useful to a contending team but not the Orioles.

Koji, finished? No.

2010 - 0.955 WHIP, 2.86 ERA, 11.3 SO/9 in 44 IP

2011 - 0.702 WHIP, 1.72 ERA, 11.9 SO/9 [Orioles] in 47 IP

2011 - 0.778 WHIP, 4.00 ERA, 11.5 SO/9 [Rangers] in 18 IP

I think it's more about the age of a pitcher than where they're from. It just so happens that, because most players from Japan aren't granted the right to International Free Agency until a little later in their careers they qualify for MLB either in their late 20's or early 30's, and have already reached their physical peak or are on the downswing. Making it about being Asian is... kinda... well... You know.

Anyway, I don't think he's done. He had a high ERA in a small sample size in Texas, but the rest of his numbers still look pretty darn good there. He doesn't rely on power so I think he can still be effective as he ages.

I honestly wish the Orioles were in a position where reacquiring him would make sense, because I really like the guy as a pitcher, and he really did heighten our presence in Japan. I went to Osaka last year, and his face was all over the vending machines there as a poster boy for Kirin (I think). People there know about the Orioles because of Uehara being on our team. I've had conversations with baseball fans there, and they would even tell me how beautiful OPACY is from seeing it via a game televised there.

Archived