GAME THREAD: Maryland vs. North Carolina

OFFNY

I can't watch the game, but have Weijs, Pankey and Len all really fouled out of the game with over 5 minutes to go? That is crazy.

EDIT - they list Weijs with 4 now, so I guess not.

Looks like another strong game from Pankey. 0 points, 0 rebounds, 5 fouls.

Weijs is still in. Padgett has had one of the quietest double-doubles I've ever seen.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don;t want to hear anybody beating around the bush saying the officiating was horrible but not unbiased. No, it was biased. UNC was coming over the back on 80% of their offensive rebounds and nothing was called until 10 min was left in the game and UNC up 20 points. You also have Zeller going to the line 20+ times and Carolina went close to 40 overall. Yes, Carolina was the better team and would have won had the players been officating the games themselves but that was criminal tonight. Turge has to keep fighting for himself and his team and if that means getting more techs so be it.

BTW....I know some people will probably have a different opinion, but I don't care if it is walk-ons,you don't shoot the ball twice with under 30 sec left in the game when you are up 20 points. I believe they took 4 shots inside of 1 min left.

c

Poorly officiated game. Unfortunately, referees like the late Earl Strom are few and far between (Strom had no problem defying the home crowds and/or the favored teams and/or the star players when he officiated games in his lengthy career in the NBA).

Incidentally, the referees really weren't doing the Tar Heels any favors tonight, either. The favoritism that they received in tonight's game certainly won't help prepare them if and when they get to the Final 16, the Final 8, or the Final 4.

I don;t want to hear anybody beating around the bush saying the officiating was horrible but not unbiased. No, it was biased. UNC was coming over the back on 80% of their offensive rebounds and nothing was called until 10 min was left in the game and UNC up 20 points. You also have Zeller going to the line 20+ times and Carolina went close to 40 overall. Yes, Carolina was the better team and would have won had the players been officating the games themselves but that was criminal tonight. Turge has to keep fighting for himself and his team and if that means getting more techs so be it.

BTW....I know some people will probably have a different opinion, but I don't care if it is walk-ons,you don't shoot the ball twice with under 30 sec left in the game when you are up 20 points. I believe they took 4 shots up 20 inside of 1 min left.

I hear you, but Roy took the starters out very early, including Zeller on his Senior night. Barnes, Henson, and Marshall were also probably playing their last game in Chapel Hill as well, and everyone was out before the last TV timeout. The kids that were playing at the end never get to play, and the guy who took the last shot had scored 7 points in his career.

Yes, I'd rather them not have tried to score, but I don't think there was any malicious intent (like the Henson dunk in College Park).

I hear you, but Roy took the starters out very early, including Zeller on his Senior night. Barnes, Henson, and Marshall were also probably playing their last game in Chapel Hill as well, and everyone was out before the last TV timeout. The kids that were playing at the end never get to play, and the guy who took the last shot had scored 7 points in his career.

Yes, I'd rather them not have tried to score, but I don't think there was any malicious intent (like the Henson dunk in College Park).

You kind of made my point. The walk ons, Seniors or not, were in the game for the last 4 min or so. More than enough run and time to get up shots. To throw up 2 inside of 30 sec(when you could run out the clock) and 4 inside of 1 min was overboard. Ultimately there is no difference between 7 points in your career and 10. I know people are going to disagree but I'm a real stickler when it comes to that kind of stuff. Play the game the right way, whether you're the best player on the team or the 15th man.

You kind of made my point. The walk ons, Seniors or not, were in the game for the last 4 min or so. More than enough run and time to get up shots. To throw up 2 inside of 30 sec(when you could run out the clock) and 4 inside of 1 min was overboard. Ultimately there is no difference between 7 points in your career and 10. I know people are going to disagree but I'm a real stickler when it comes to that kind of stuff. Play the game the right way, whether your the best player on the team or the 15th man.

Valid.

But Beaner, Roy left the refs in.

I kid. It was a terribly officiated game, but I can't help but think it had very little to do with our loss.

God damn am I tired of UNC acting like classless assholes and shooting at the buzzer. I hate Coach K, but at least I respect him. I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for Roy Williams. That kind of BS is unacceptable. I can't wait until we're better to beat those bastards into the ground.

(Sorry Beaner. No hate directed at you, just your school ;) )

You kind of made my point. The walk ons, Seniors or not, were in the game for the last 4 min or so. More than enough run and time to get up shots. To throw up 2 inside of 30 sec(when you could run out the clock) and 4 inside of 1 min was overboard. Ultimately there is no difference between 7 points in your career and 10. I know people are going to disagree but I'm a real stickler when it comes to that kind of stuff. Play the game the right way, whether you're the best player on the team or the 15th man.

In general, I agree with you, but it doesn't really bother me. It was Senior Night. It's not about adding to your career point total, it's about celebrating the work some of these guys have put in with no glory and letting them have a moment. Those guys' athletic careers are going to be over very shortly, so I don't have a problem letting them soak it in for one last night.

Exactly..there was no malicious intent whatsoever. Like I said, I didn't love it either, but with it being Senior Night, I'm giving a pass. When Henson dunked at the end of the ame in College Park, Roy made a beeline over to Turgeon to apologize..It wasn't necessary tonight.

Hoping hard for UNC to win this weekend. If Maryland gets 'em back in the 1/8 game, someone better get fouled stupidly hard. In a send a message type of way.

Nah, would've happened last night after the way the College Park game ended. Plus Turgeon & Roy are close, so I don't see anything like that happening, risking someone getting hurt as Carolina battles for a National Title.

And that's my issue. If the refs want to give UNC that much deference, fine. But Maryland shouldn't be doing the same thing. The first time it happened was classless. Why that lesson wasn't learned before it happened a second time is on Roy. Maryland needs to answer. I'm not saying you send a walkon out there with a dagger and stab a guy. But foul someone hard enough they feel it the next day. Enough deferring.

Archived