Jason Hammel has a No-Hitter through 7 Innings

OFFNY

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh, 90% of announcers aren't going to say anything. At least not come right out directly and say "Hammel has a no hitter through 7. Hint around it , yes, but not come out directly and say it.

No, as they were running off the field after the top of the inning Thorne says "Hammel has a no hitter through 7".

You have a source to back up that "fact"?:rolleyestf:

It's my dad's fault and he apologized. He was standing in the living room for innings 1 through 7. He sat down in the 8th.

I thought it was my fault. Got out of bed before 2, got coffee, did morning things..., got on the internet. Had the game on. Read email, checked fantasy, read news, read Roch, opened the Hangout. The last page of the game thread was literally still loading when the hit fell.

I thought it was my fault. Got out of bed before 2, got coffee, did morning things..., got on the internet. Had the game on. Read email, checked fantasy, read news, read Roch, opened the Hangout. The last page of the game thread was literally still loading when the hit fell.

It was probably the "doing morning things" that got him. Was he down wind?

Vin Scully has always announced it after 7. He never says a word until they are going into the 8th, when he makes it a point to let everyone know because we could be watching history.

I think the last two innings are fair game.

Yeah, after 7 it's useful to let people know. The superstition can be fun or whatever but everyone knows it's just bs so I can't believe how hard people are being on the OP here, haha.

I remember watching the end of Liriano's no-hitter a couple years ago. How did I know he had a no-hitter going? Because somebody mentioned it. As they should. A no-hitter in progress is significant news, and it's something that a lot of people would obviously be interested in knowing.

The superstition is that teammates aren't supposed to mention the no-hitter. But it's certainly fair game for fans, media, announcers, etc. to mention it. In fact, an announcer would be incompetent if he didn't mention the most newsworthy storyline of the game. Somehow I don't think the pitcher is going to be "jinxed" or distracted by media or fans talking about the no-hitter, unless for some reason he checks his Twitter feed during the game.

I remember watching the end of Liriano's no-hitter a couple years ago. How did I know he had a no-hitter going? Because somebody mentioned it. As they should. A no-hitter in progress is significant news, and it's something that a lot of people would obviously be interested in knowing.

The superstition is that teammates aren't supposed to mention the no-hitter. But it's certainly fair game for fans, media, announcers, etc. to mention it. In fact, an announcer would be incompetent if he didn't mention the most newsworthy storyline of the game. Somehow I don't think the pitcher is going to be "jinxed" or distracted by media or fans talking about the no-hitter, unless for some reason he checks his Twitter feed during the game.

This is wrong. Nobody is supposed to mention it (although something like ESPN flashing it on the bottom line is somewhat kosher).

ScottieBaseball told a story I'll never forget about his attendance at Moose's almost perfect game. Someone blabbed about it in his section right before he gave up Alomar's hit.

Chuck Thompson wouldn't do it. He would talk all around it and it was more fun that way.

I think an announcer would do well to employ the WWCTD rule for most of these issues. But I am too old school.

This is wrong. Nobody is supposed to mention it (although something like ESPN flashing it on the bottom line is somewhat kosher).

And why is this OK? Because it's news, and because it's interesting to a lot of people. That's why it's fine, and encouraged, for media and fans to mention a no-hitter in progress. If there's a no-hitter somewhere in the majors, I'd certainly want someone to tell me so I could watch the end of the game.

Teammates obviously shouldn't mention it because it could rattle the pitcher. But fans and media have no impact on whether the no-hitter happens. That is not, nor should be, part of the superstition. What's next, do all fans need to throw salt over their shoulders whenever a no-hitter is in progress?

And why is this OK? Because it's news, and because it's interesting to a lot of people. That's why it's fine, and encouraged, for media and fans to mention a no-hitter in progress. If there's a no-hitter somewhere in the majors, I'd certainly want someone to tell me so I could watch the end of the game.

Teammates obviously shouldn't mention it because it could rattle the pitcher. But fans and media have no impact on whether the no-hitter happens. That is not, nor should be, part of the superstition. What's next, do all fans need to throw salt over their shoulders whenever a no-hitter is in progress?

Come on. You don't see a difference between ESPN, a national television network, versus a guy on an local message board? Those two things are grossly different.

I had a few posts on my facebook wall yesterday about Hammel and while all of them insinuated something big was happening, nobody actually mentioned the words "no-hitter."

Come on. You don't see a difference between ESPN, a national television network, versus a guy on an local message board? Those two things are grossly different.

In terms of affecting the outcome of the game and the no-hitter? No, I don't see a difference. Neither one has the slightest bit of impact on Hammel while he's pitching.

Unless the following scenario occurred...

HAMMEL: Ah, it's been a quick game. 7 innings. Now that I've got a sec, I'll log on to Orioles Hangout, as I always do in the middle of my games.

HAMMEL: (logs on)

HAMMEL: (sees OFFNY's thread)

HAMMEL: Wait, I have a no-hitter going?!? AAAAAAH I had no idea!!

HAMMEL: (panics)

HAMMEL: (gives up hit)

If that's what happened, then I'll agree that this thread was bad form. But I'm pretty sure it didn't, so enough with giving this poster grief.

Archived