Jason Hammel has a No-Hitter through 7 Innings

OFFNY

I'm not superstitious, but I think it's fun when groups of random people voluntarily adhere to old-timey "rules" like "don't ----ing talk about a no-hitter during a no-hitter."

That being said, the inevitable, collective groan that follows talking about a no-hitter has some comedic value.

You don't mess with the baseball gods, ever.:down:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really?

"**** you, Jobu. I do it myself."

Hah...

Yeah, the baseball gods are fickle. But I take solace in knowing that there were thousands of non-message board users in random places saying "whoa, no hits!" during the game.

Though, perhaps, OFFNY's internet-broadcasting exacerbated the situation...:scratchchinhmm:

Hah...

Yeah, the baseball gods are fickle. But I take solace in knowing that there were thousands of non-message board users in random places saying "whoa, no hits!" during the game.

Though, perhaps, OFFNY's internet-broadcasting exacerbated the situation...:scratchchinhmm:

Well, I got pretty mad when the announcers out of nowhere were just like "and he has a no-hitter through seven!" :D

And the no-hitter was broken up on the next pitch after OFFNY's post. Nietzsche is dead!

Again superstitions are personal, just like people's spiritual beliefs. I don't belive in witchcraft, but I try not to disrespect those who do. To me announcing a no no, is much like mocking some one's personal spiritual beliefs. We have a similar tradition in the Theatre as regards the Scottish Play. Many actors don't buy into this, but many do, particularly those who have been in a production of that play. Only the most obnoxious actors disrespect the tradition. They usually are the worst as well, and don't stick around long, in the business.

It's just something that people find fun or comforting. Many go along with it for this reason, not because they believe in it.

Why ruin something that is fun and harmless?

Because that's how he is. I really hope that young kids don't read this board as he will say Santa Claus is fake, etc. It is plain, flat-out, obnoxious. El Gordo nailed it, btw.

Because that's how he is. I really hope that young kids don't read this board as he will say Santa Claus is fake, etc. It is plain, flat-out, obnoxious. El Gordo nailed it, btw.

You're all heart, Malike. Wanting to protect the children from OFFNY.

I think part of the reason many of us here on the OH respect this tradition (ok, superstition, if you like), is because it reflects not just an understanding of the game, but a greater understanding of how players play the game. I can pretty much guarantee everyone that by or after the 5th inning, the words "no-hitter" were not spoken by anyone in the O's dugout. If it's your contention that it's a silly observance, well, hey, you're probably right, and can we can all debate the merits of your stance. But if you were a player at any level in any dugout and you did that, and the pitcher lost his no-hitter, you'd likely get reminded of this tradition in a not-so-friendly manner by one of your teammates.

I learned this playing little league at the age of 12, when I said something about my pitcher's no-hitter, which he lost in the 9th inning. Our third baseman took my glove after the game and threw it in a nearby pond. Ha Ha. I explained this all to my dad when I got home. He took me to get a new one almost immediately and said, "I think you learned your lesson. Don't ever talk about a no-hitter when your pitcher's got one going..."

Archived