So what's it gonna take to get folks back to the Yard?

Todd-O

There are a number of fans that are gone forever. Moved away, died, changed interests etc. With the team being so bad for so long these have not been replaced by the younger generations. Those who would grow into paying customers/season ticket customers. Many of those may never be captured.

Attendance should increase immediately if the team starts winning regularly, but I think it will take a long, long time to get back to where they were. Or a WS run, maybe.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a number of fans that are gone forever. Moved away, died, changed interests etc. With the team being so bad for so long these have not been replaced by the younger generations. Those who would grow into paying customers/season ticket customers. Many of those may never be captured.

Attendance should increase immediately if the team starts winning regularly, but I think it will take a long, long time to get back to where they were. Or a WS run, maybe.

A WS run would do it, for sure. At this point tho, a winning season, followed by a big splash offseason would go a long way.

I think it's time we had another Fantastic Fans night like back in 1988. If the team is .500 or above after the trip to LA, I think it would be great to have 30 or 40K to welcome back the team. Probably hard to do on a Tuesday night in April but it would mean a lot to the team.

Hate to say it but I think just a winning season wouldn't be enough. It'd have to be a legitimate playoff push.

The Phillies weren't selling out their stadium not too long ago either....then they won with their core, built on their core substantially, and now they are a powerhouse that sells out every game...why can't we be the same? Step one is to win with our core...

I'd say making it to the end of school above .500 and in first or second place (maybe third if the record is good) and you will start to see a increase in attendance, probably not on the scale of 2005 but something. If they were to make past the All Star break and into October still in the playoff hunt I think you will start to see sellouts. Baltimore still loves the O's, but haven't had anything to cheer for, the primary appeal of going to a game since the all-star break of 2005 has been the stadium and the fact that baseball games are fun, not that the games meant anything. Make the games meaningful and the fans will come back in droves.

Sustained winning ways. A good start like we're seeing does not define sustained. If we're way out by the break then same old will be seen as same old and rightfully so IMO. If we're still in it or at least have a viable chance at .500 at that point, I firmly believe fans will take on more interest and patronize the ballpark in larger numbers.

Winning is the best cure that could provide sustained higher attendance.

Not really mentioned above is that, IMO, the promotions of Machado and Dylan Bundy (when that time is near) will provide at least a short term attendance burst.

Continuing this run through Chicago and on to Anaheim? And then back home. That'd probably seat a few extra butts...

My point... baby steps. Like "Just win, baby!"

That gets 300 more people to come out next Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday night a few more. Win THAT series against the Blow Jays and Friday night vs. the lowly A's will be rockin'!

The Phillies weren't selling out their stadium not too long ago either....then they won with their core, built on their core substantially, and now they are a powerhouse that sells out every game...why can't we be the same? Step one is to win with our core...

I lived in Philly during their transition of no fans to a lot of fans. They had several things going for them: (1) an undying love for the team and a yearning for winning, (2) a captive audience (read: 1 team in town), (3) hype around quite a few young stud players (starting with Rollins... Followed by the signing of Thome... And the emergence of Utley... Followed by the emergence of Howard), (4) several seasons of .500+ ball, and (5) the arrival of a new ball park.

I still remember, plain as day, Jimmy Rollins announcing in spring training (to much controversy) that the phillies - not the heavily favored mets - were the new team to beat. The city absolutely ate that up.

I think a poster, previously, put it well by pointing out that a good portion of O's fans have totally lost interest (be it 14 yrs losing and the arrival of the Nats), strongly dislike the owner and won't support him, have died or moved... And there aren't a lot of kids who have grown into fandom (in my neighborhood, which oozes kids, I only know of 2 that wear O's gear. All the rest are yanks, sox and Nats).

2005 was a tease for sure and the O's have gotten off to fast starts and even played .500 ball a few times into June during this horrid losing streak. It will take a playoff race to get fans back into OPACY on a regular basis THIS year. But if the O's play .500 ball or better with guys like Wieters, Jones and Reimold breaking out and signing extensions coupled with Machado and Bundy torching minor league ball you could see a real nice pick up in 2013. There is still plenty of O's fans in town to put 25,000 in OPACY on a regular basis. After 14 years of losing the 10,000 extra fans a night that we're not seeing anymore just don't care. Simply apathetic. But everyone loves a winner. Just look at the Ravens and Caps.

Archived