Umpire tired of lame Camden Yards Security tackles shirtless drunk young male fan.

Gurgi

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Felix Pie chasing them down would be pretty entertaining.
If you want real entertainment substitute lions for the dogs. I think the idea is to avoid the entertainment aspect of this. That's what makes it attractive to these idiots. The other idiots who think it's funny.

Until one of them knifes somebody on the field. It only needs to happen once. Then we will get our dogs and tasers.

I try to be careful about using this rationale as it could successfully be applied to any part of life including the most harmless aspects of yours and mine. I completely get the irritation with these fools, but there's room for judgement here IMO

If you want real entertainment substitute lions for the dogs. I think the idea is to avoid the entertainment aspect of this. That's what makes it attractive to these idiots. The other idiots who think it's funny.

Yeah, that wouldn't be entertaining for me. That would be cruel, and I don't find cruel entertaining. If the insinuation is that my off the cuff comment/joke is condoning or somehow contributing to this sort of thing, lets say I highly doubt it. If they stopped serving or restricting alcohol at the game and took other reasonable actions to prevent it, they won't have this issue. Certainly not to the level they have been having it. As for me, I'll continue to laugh/mock stupid people without much worry that I'm contributing to the overall level of stupidity in the world.

I'm not opposed to tasing - but they need to come out and say, "We are going to start tasing people after May 1st" They just can't surprise people with it because based on prior occurances people can't reasonably be expected to be tased. Prosecuted, yes, tased no. And they also need to follow through with it.

Don't tttttttaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee mmmeeee brrrrrroooooooo.

I try to be careful about using this rationale as it could successfully be applied to any part of life including the most harmless aspects of yours and mine. I completely get the irritation with these fools, but there's room for judgement here IMO

There is precedent here, though. People have been attacked by fans coming out of the stands. It's a small percentage, to be sure, but it happens. A fan coming onto the field is a very serious and dangerous situation. The fact that this is the fourth this year at Camden is troubling. Something needs to be done before something terrible happens. It only takes once, and no one could say we didn't have warning signs.

There is precedent here, though. People have been attacked by fans coming out of the stands. It's a small percentage, to be sure, but it happens. A fan coming onto the field is a very serious and dangerous situation. The fact that this is the fourth this year at Camden is troubling. Something needs to be done before something terrible happens. It only takes once, and no one could say we didn't have warning signs.
I really doubt there is much that can be done to keep these idiots off the field. An alcohol ban would be a big hit on an already anemic attendance. And I don't think it's the alcohol so much as the notoriety and attention getting aspect of it. To get close enough to use a taser is to be close enough to tackle and subdue the perp. Tasing him in that situstion would be excessive and punitive IMO. The idea is to remove them as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I don't agree.

First of all, what's the relationship between these incidents? Does one really cause another? Perhaps there is some sort of "Werther effect" whereby those who witness the act or read/hear/see about it in the news are driven to emulate it. Even if that's true, MLB does a good job of limiting the media exposure most of these acts receive, so the only people who really see them are those at the actual game - and in the Orioles case, we know that's not too many folks!

Moreover, its not clear to me that anyone emulating the four incidents this year would be more likely to be "dangerous" than someone independently deciding to run onto the field. A person who plans on running onto the field in order to commit an act of violence is a very different type of person than the drunken idiot who merely wants attention.

Second, extremely rare incidents of violence perpetrated by fans coming onto the field does not mean that the act of a fan coming onto the field is itself an inherently dangerous situation. I don't mean to say it shouldn't be taken seriously, but the precautions should be tailored to the magnitude of the threat.

If police are empowered to use a greater amount of force to subdue these folks, and that amount of force has a higher risk of doing serious physical harm, then we may end up actually causing more violent injuries than would otherwise occur.

That's not to say that more aggressive methods should not be used here - that requires an analysis of the risks that I have not done. But, I trust the police, MLB, the Orioles, and the legal system, all of which have far more information and experience in the matter than I, to make that judgment.

There isn't a lot of wiggle room for excuses for taking your shirt off and running onto an MLB field during a game. It's not like they are accidentally taking a wrong turn on the way to the snack bar.

All the O's need to do is make an announcement at the start of the game that says if you run out onto the field we are going to come after you with great urgency to eliminate the security threat and it may be extremely pain inducing if necessary.

I really doubt there is much that can be done to keep these idiots off the field. An alcohol ban would be a big hit on an already anemic attendance. And I don't think it's the alcohol so much as the notoriety and attention getting aspect of it. To get close enough to use a taser is to be close enough to tackle and subdue the perp. Tasing him in that situstion would be excessive and punitive IMO. The idea is to remove them as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Did you see the guy juke out the cop at 2nd base yesterday? In that case the cop was close enough to tase him but wasn't able to tackle him.

Did you see the guy juke out the cop at 2nd base yesterday? In that case the cop was close enough to tase him but wasn't able to tackle him.

If he would have turned around and chucked a knife at one of the A's players, we would have wished he was tased by that cop who couldn't catch him.

Screw that. If you are dumb enough idiot that you feel a need to run onto the field, you get what you get. Maybe knowing you are going to be tased will make these idiots think twice. I applaud Kellogg and I'm ashamed of the slow reacting security at Camden Yards. It's becoming an epidemic because of the slow response and small consequences.

Look, I hate the idiots too, I'm not saying the current methods are inadequate/leave a little to be desired, but according to this there have been 500 taser related deaths in the US since 2001. There's about 2,400 ML games a year, not including MiL games. How many of them have one of these idiots? How many streakers have died so far using current methods? How many would you be okay with dying if it cut the number of streakers down by 75%?

I'm sure we could stop bank robberies if we made it punishable by death. That doesn't make it right.

I like dogs. I also think the players should leave the field the minute someone steps onto the field. IF'ers go to dugout, OF'ers go to bullpen. Fans Boo! Dogs are released. Fans cheer!

What preventative measures would you suggest? 10 foot plexiglass barriers running from foul pole to foul pole? Vintage TSA-style personal screening of every fan entering the ballpark? If you're selling an entertainment product, in my experience you don't start by going out of your way to kill the buzz.

I'm not trying to twist your words, but I do think a comment like, "Something needs to be done..." requires the response, "Like what?"

IMO the proper way of dealing with these people is through limited exposure of the actual event, a controlled but thorough police response, vigorous criminal prosecution afterward and the presentation of a bill for the entire cost of the security services for that game - followed by a well-publcized civil lawsuit for non-payment if necessary.

What preventative measures would you suggest? 10 foot plexiglass barriers running from foul pole to foul pole? Vintage TSA-style personal screening of every fan entering the ballpark? If you're selling an entertainment product, in my experience you don't start by going out of your way to kill the buzz.

I'm not trying to twist your words, but I do think a comment like, "Something needs to be done..." requires the response, "Like what?"

IMO the proper way of dealing with these people is through limited exposure of the actual event, a controlled but thorough police response, vigorous criminal prosecution afterward and the presentation of a bill for the entire cost of the security services for that game - followed by a well-publcized civil lawsuit for non-payment if necessary.

1. Screen people that show signs of intoxication entering the stadium.

2. Security checks for alcohol/weapons/contraband should be expected at all stadiums imo ( I don't think we need to do TSA body scans/pat downs etc). Any type of containers could be restricted from entering the park (I don't know what the current policy is).

3. Install minimally evasive barriers at egress points. This could be as simple as placing something like the tarp roller in front.

4. More security guards in general and specifically at perimiters/egress points.

5. Aggressive video and manual surveillance techniques including covert surveillance.

6. More aggressive alcohol control/restriction policies or elimination.

7. Pursue more aggressive punitive actions, which may require action by legislative policy.

Archived