Berken & Pomeranz Up ; Hunter & Paulino Down

Brendan25

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think either is a bad move, especially if Paulino has an option.

Paulino has been a tad shaky defensively and the O's might as well find out if they have anything with Exposito while he is up here. Paulino's bat is a nice but I don't think this particular swap of back up catchers is anything to get too worked up about.

If the bullpen wasn't over worked this weekend, I would imagine Hunter would not be going down. Even so, I think this is a good move for everyone. Hunter can work on his location down in Norfolk for a few starts. Berken is probably available in the pen tonight (and maybe even tomorrow) if absolutely needed. If not, he takes Hunter's spot in the rotation for a couple of starts. If Hunter looks good in AAA, he can come back in a few weeks and either be slotted back into the rotation or the bullpen. The O's probably think (and I'd be inclined to agree) that Berken won't be significantly worse as a starter for a few starts than Hunter would be pitching like he did on Sunday. Hunter can get his stuff together in a low pressure situation and the team can get another look at Berken. Hopefully it works out as a win-win.

Roch must be reading the OH ;)

Roch Kubatko ‏ @masnRoch

Buck hasn't named a starter in Hunter's spot. Berken is a possibility. Could call up starter #orioles.

Of course he does. It's where he get his scoops. Like Pomeranz.

Catchers take notice: a PB = AAA. :laughlol:

Seriously, I don't see that Paulino did anything too awful defensively. The O's are 4-1 in the games he's started, he's allowed 2 steals (one CS), one wild pitch and one passed ball in the games he started. In his 5 starts, the team allowed 9, 3, 2, 1 and 4 runs.

Tillman's last start was good but other than that he's been getting hit around pretty good in AAA. My impression from spring training was that he's close to putting it together but isn't quite there yet, so it wouldn't make sense to call him up. Eveland's been good, though, so he could get the call. I think Berken will be available for long relief and if we don't use him after tonight he would be in line to take Hunter's start on Friday. IMO the decision hasn't been made and it depends on how deep the starters can get against Texas.

On a side note though, it says a lot about our standards this year if we're sending down Hunter. Last year he would have been tolerated at his current level of production because there wasn't anyone better.

Me neither. I think it's probably a matter of Buck/DD simply liking what they see in this Exposito kid. It also gave them an easy guy to option for a second reliever. Can't option NJ, can't option Flaherty. Not sure about Patton.

Agreed. Paulino had one passed ball on a nasty pitch, big deal. Nobody is perfect. They just want to evaluate Exposito. My gut tells me both of these guys are pretty darn good.

Who is Teagarden anyways?? :)

I'm very interested in watching Pomeranz. If he shows off and Britton comes back, the O's will have an interesting dilemma. I personally think Hunter belongs on the roster in long relief.

Ultimately, I'd like to see this:

1: Hammel, 2: Arrieta, 3: Britton, 4: Matusz, 5: Chen

6: Pomeranz, 7: Patton, 8: Hunter, 9: Lindstrom, 10: Ayala, 11: Strop, 12: Johnson

Berken in the minors. Gregg somewhere else. That team can pitch.

Where is O'Day in this equation?

I never got the impression Buck was too impressed with Paulino after the whole spring training incident. Also, since his first 2 games, Paulino's gone just 3/21 so the bat wasn't much of as asset.

Archived