40% into the season, the tone is changing

wildcard

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winning is such a wonderful feeling. :hearts: However, I found that there's a complex side when they don't win. I know you can't possibly win every game. My head knows that, but try telling my heart. For the past fourteen years, I've been mentally prepared for them to lose. I was a dysfunctional fan. It was an uncomfortable comfortable. It felt "normal" to lose. What rational person loves to love a loser (not a rhetorical question, btw)?

Ok, so now they're winning...awesome. I'm loving it. :boogie: However, I'm now in uncharted territory. Because now when they lose, I find myself getting angry, way too angry for somebody to get, just over a baseball game. Because now I've gotten a taste of how it feels for the O's to be a winner. I such a short period of time, I've already grown accustomed to them winning. I expect them to win every game. :o I need to find some middle ground with winning/losing. It's a new concept for me. Sigh...some aspects of life are so complicated. :rolleyes:

One the positive side, I think I'll be able to adjust to this new concept. Winning is a many splendored thing. :hearts:

Rep to anyone who can reference the last sentence and apply it to the game of baseball.

GO O'S

One other comment about the lineup. Its appears to be solidifying.

1B Reynolds - Is showing he can handle the position both defensively and offensively. Since his return from the DL on May 28th he has a 1.013 OPS.

2B Roberts - Looks real good. Probably will hit.

SS Hardy - Solid

3B Betemit - Drives in runs and is playing better at 3B then expected

RF - Nick's when he returns

CF - Career year in progress

LF - Pearce looks good in the field and at the plate. Reimold may have a fight for playing time when he returns.

C - Wieters - Has started to hit and always plays good defense.

DH - Davis is hitting great and can play the OF corners, 1B and has the best ERA on the team.

Plus not to mention people like super utility guys like Bobby Andino on the bench. Hell, Paulino has hit pretty well and contributed a bit when given the chance, Johnson had a good May and is probably our best (maybe one of the best) PH options... we've got Flaherty as another utility guy.

Is it possible to say that this team, when healthy, actually has depth? Doesn't make sense because with all the injuries this season all anyone could talk about was lack of depth... it just really feels like if we ever get close to fully healthy we'll have it.

I've now confused myself. Hopefully someone knows what I'm saying and answers.

Winning is such a wonderful feeling. :hearts: However, I found that there's a complex side when they don't win. I know you can't possibly win every game. My head knows that, but try telling my heart. For the past fourteen years, I've been mentally prepared for them to lose. I was a dysfunctional fan. It was an uncomfortable comfortable. It felt "normal" to lose. What rational person loves to love a loser (not a rhetorical question, btw)?

Ok, so now they're winning...awesome. I'm loving it. :boogie: However, I'm now in uncharted territory. Because now when they lose, I find myself getting angry, way too angry for somebody to get, just over a baseball game. Because now I've gotten a taste of how it feels for the O's to be a winner. I such a short period of time, I've already grown accustomed to them winning. I expect them to win every game. :o I need to find some middle ground with winning/losing. It's a new concept for me. Sigh...some aspects of life are so complicated. :rolleyes:

One the positive side, I think I'll be able to adjust to this new concept. Winning is a many splendored thing. :hearts:

Rep to anyone who can reference the last sentence and apply it to the game of baseball.

GO O'S

Drink.........

...Responsibly

GO O'S

Well it is a movie and a poem, but you want referenced to baseball.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnDtxiNwDS8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnDtxiNwDS8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I hear four aces is a good thing to have on your baseball team.

The next 20 G's are crucial. Something has to happen with our SP. Hopefully a trade.

For me, we are going to cross a barrier if we continue playing well beyond the 70 game mark. That was when the 2005 team started to tank.

The next 20 G's are crucial. Something has to happen with our SP. Hopefully a trade.

Yes! I'm so happy about this season. I've been scarred by the Orioles. I have expected them to lose for so long that it's hard to now expect them to win. Why is it so hard to believe? And then you look at the statistics, as ESPN does, and you see the shaky starting pitching, the low run differential, and the division, and the doubts creep in again. I still expect the wheels to fall off the wagon at any time. But I'm really trying to enjoy the season. If we could go .500 the rest of the way to the AS break, that would be really big for the team. As Buck says, "we'll just go there and compete and see what happens."

I think that DD knows that he has to go out and get a starter to buoy the pitching staff. I think he will. And I do not think this team will tank, because they have maintained to this level despite some serious injury problems. When Markakis comes back, and Reimold too, I think they are poised to make some serious noise in the second half. I won't predict winning the AL East, but I would not discount the idea either. This is a very good baseball team, that is a little short on starters. Its all about the pitching.

For me, we are going to cross a barrier if we continue playing well beyond the 70 game mark. That was when the 2005 team started to tank.
This year's team is in no way comparable to the 2005 team, IMO. I just feel that if we add another solid SP we have a chance to contend, and if we don't, we most likely wont. I am not for standing pat and praying for Matusz, Arrieta, or Britton to get it. If we do that over the course of the next 20 games to the ASB. I think we will fall too far behind. We may still finish above .500 but I think this team can do better.

This year's team is in no way comparable to the 2005 team, IMO. I just feel that if we add another solid SP we have a chance to contend, and if we don't, we most likely wont. I am not for standing pat and praying for Matusz, Arrieta, or Britton to get it. If we do that over the course of the next 20 games to the ASB. I think we will fall too far behind. We may still finish above .500 but I think this team can do better.

We are competing with our inconsistent starters. I'm not sure we can't solidify from within. We have to keep thinking long term. We had 14 years of losing, I want 14 years of winning, not one. If we can get a starter like Dempster or Garza, it would be great but I don't want to give up a top prospect. I would rather take my chances on Moyer, Tilman, Arrieta, Britton and/or someone else than trade a top prospect. If that puts Garza out of reach, so be it. Pitching is notoriously fickle and fragile. There aren't any guarantees out there, either way. DD will earn his money on this decision.

Well it is a movie and a poem, but you want referenced to baseball.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnDtxiNwDS8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnDtxiNwDS8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I hear four aces is a good thing to have on your baseball team.

Winner, winner chicken dinner. Rep to you, sir. :thumbsup1: Good catch. :D

We are competing with our inconsistent starters. I'm not sure we can't solidify from within. We have to keep thinking long term. We had 14 years of losing, I want 14 years of winning, not one. If we can get a starter like Dempster or Garza, it would be great but I don't want to give up a top prospect. I would rather take my chances on Moyer, Tilman, Arrieta, Britton and/or someone else than trade a top prospect. If that puts Garza out of reach, so be it. Pitching is notoriously fickle and fragile. There aren't any guarantees out there, either way. DD will earn his money on this decision.
Dempster, Saunders, or Colon would not cost a top prospect. And any one should be enough to keep us competitive.

One thing that makes me feel confident is the number of games we've already played against the East.

BAL: 32 games

TAM: 32 games

BOS: 26 games

TOR: 25 games

NYY: 22 games

Seems to bode well, no?

Solid stat. I'm in the "it has to mean SOMETHING" camp. Is it possible to do a breakdown of # of games vs each team and everyones record vs them?

I know I'm asking a big and not willing to put fourth the effort, but if someone could do this you would be the barer of green reps. And also my hero for the hour... unless you wait until after Tiger tees off today.

Archived