40% into the season, the tone is changing

wildcard

Up until now the national media and many of the O's fans were thinking about when the O's would fall apart not if. But now, slowly there is the notion that maybe the O's are for real. Maybe what has gotten them into the race for the playoffs will continue. Last night on Fox Sports national broadcast there was the discussion of whether Brian Roberts return to the lineup was like the O's making a major trade. Also there was talk of how Adam Jones is leading the way for the O's pennant hopes.

If the O's stay on their current pace here are some numbers of how the season would end.

94 wins

Adam Jones - 44 HR, 97 RBI, 307 avg, 935 OPS

Jason Hammel - 17-5, 2.87 ERA

Wei-Yin Chen - 15-5, 3.68 ERA

Jim Johnson - 47 saves, 1.26 ERA

Though many will not allow themselves to believe the O's winning ways could last all season, the longer the winning continues the harder it is to dismiss the O's as having "just a good start". At some point good starts extends into a contending team. Each fan will have to determine when that point is for themselves, but each game that is won brings more who are willing to believe.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I allow myself to believe it could last, but deep down I believe the inconsistent starting pitching will do us in to some degree. I'm still very hopeful of a .500+ season. It's been fun so far.

The longer we can keep it going, the more chance we'll have to plug that issue. Just make it to the AS break - I want Garza real bad. Move anyone but Machado/Bundy. If we can get Reimold back, I really think that will be enough.

I allow myself to believe it could last, but deep down I believe the inconsistent starting pitching will do us in to some degree. I'm still very hopeful of a .500+ season. It's been fun so far.

I agree with you on this....the lack of consistency in the rotation might be our undoing. I'd like to think that DD can obtain a quality starter without giving away the farm, but hard to tell how that gets done. Britton seems far from ready but maybe Gonzalez could be ready soon?

This is where I'm at too. I have hopes that 2 of Matusz, Arrieta and Britton can step up and give us sub 4.25 ERA the rest of the season. If 2 of them can't do that, I hope DD is able to trade for a solid middle of the rotation SP.

This is where I'm at too. I have hopes that 2 of Matusz, Arrieta and Britton can step up and give us sub 4.25 ERA the rest of the season. If 2 of them can't do that, I hope DD is able to trade for a solid middle of the rotation SP.

I think you need to add Tillman and Moyer into your intitial mix. If two of those five can perform, I still think Dan makes a trade. The marathon is a whole lot easier from here.

I think you need to add Tillman and Moyer into your intitial mix. If two of those five can perform, I still think Dan makes a trade. The marathon is a whole lot easier from here.

Appears they are looking at Soriano and the Cubs pitchers.

Like many of his teammates, Soriano has been the subject of various trade rumors in recent weeks -- particularly since he regained his home-run stroke in mid May. Numerous scouts, including one of the Baltimore Orioles' top talent evaluators, have been watching Soriano and Chicago's veteran pitchers in advance of baseball's July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8062231/chicago-cubs-alfonso-soriano-was-booed-intensely-not-running-play-sixth-inning-saturday

If I could be results oriented for a moment really quickly, I just wanted to send a big shout out to everyone that laughed at me (and a few others) for getting excited and letting our guard down for this team in April/May. As some great OH poster who I can't remember once said "sometimes you just gotta let yourself believe"... or something like that.

Appears they are looking at Soriano and the Cubs pitchers.

Like many of his teammates, Soriano has been the subject of various trade rumors in recent weeks -- particularly since he regained his home-run stroke in mid May. Numerous scouts, including one of the Baltimore Orioles' top talent evaluators, have been watching Soriano and Chicago's veteran pitchers in advance of baseball's July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8062231/chicago-cubs-alfonso-soriano-was-booed-intensely-not-running-play-sixth-inning-saturday

Uggh, I really hope we don't get Soriano.

I think the O's have some kind of agreement with Moyer to make a decision on his call up after three starts. That will be one more. If he has another good start I think he does get called up but I have little hope that he will be effective or much of an improvement over what Arrieta or Hunter have been doing.

I think Gonzalez has a great chance of a call up because Buck likes him. I think he probably will help the O's.

Tillman seem to take one step forward and one back. Too inconsistent. Britton sounds like he will take a while to get back to where he was early last year. Matusz and Arrieta have the stuff to put together a good run. Its anyone guess if they will.

Considering the fact that there have been some key injuries (Markakis, Reimold, Roberts) that they've been weathering I find it impressive that the streets of bird land are still humming with hope for this season. Pitching is definitely a concern, but if there is anything I've learned from the Rangers these past few seasons it is that you can make it to the dance largely with mediocre arms on the starting staff. 2010 their leaders in IP were Wilson, Lewis, Feldman, and Tommy Hunter (really WTF!?), in 2011 Wilson, Lewis, Harrison, Holland. In 2010 they had the KEY acquisition of Cliff Lee who was huge in the postseason, but in getting there he only threw 100 innings at a 3.98 ERA and was 4-6. In both seasons they, like the Os, had a stellar pen...Darren O'Day, and Pedro Strop are common denominators to all 3 pens.

Now, the Os do not have the Rangers lineups from either of those years, but to this point guys like Jones, Weiters, and Davis are doing their best Hamilton, Napoli, and Guerrero impersonations....maybe big name starters and great "arm talent" is overrated? The Red Sox have plenty of that, and their starters have squeaked out only 3 more innings and have an worse ERA (4.57 for the Os 4.81 for the Sox). A counter point to this would be the Angels rotation...but lets not talk about that.

July is just around the corner and the with the new wildcard spot the Os are listed as a 46% chance to be playing a meaningful game on October 5th.

In short my head is still skeptical, but my heart will no longer allow it. I will search for any and all ways to numerically justify the chances for the Os until my mind follows suit.

PUT SOME BIRDS ON IT!!!!!

I think the O's have some kind of agreement with Moyer to make a decision on his call up after three starts. That will be one more. If he has another good start I think he does get called up but I have little hope that he will be effective or much of an improvement over what Arrieta or Hunter have been doing.

I think Gonzalez has a great chance of a call up because Buck likes him. I think he probably will help the O's.

Tillman seem to take one step forward and one back. Too inconsistent. Britton sounds like he will take a while to get back to where he was early last year. Matusz and Arrieta have the stuff to put together a good run. Its anyone guess if they will.

You are right about Gonzales. Tillman has been less inconsistant than his line may indicate. He pitched his last game in a driving rain storm and still kept his team in it.

To a lesser extent. I have less faith in them being able to contribute like that.

One other comment about the lineup. Its appears to be solidifying.

1B Reynolds - Is showing he can handle the position both defensively and offensively. Since his return from the DL on May 28th he has a 1.013 OPS.

2B Roberts - Looks real good. Probably will hit.

SS Hardy - Solid

3B Betemit - Drives in runs and is playing better at 3B then expected

RF - Nick's when he returns

CF - Career year in progress

LF - Pearce looks good in the field and at the plate. Reimold may have a fight for playing time when he returns.

C - Wieters - Has started to hit and always plays good defense.

DH - Davis is hitting great and can play the OF corners, 1B and has the best ERA on the team.

Archived