I think if Matusz doesn't pitch decently today, he'll go to Norfolk

Frobby

I think coaching does have something to do with Matusz's problems. It feels like they've forced him to throw more fastballs than he should. It will be interesting to see if Griffin and Peterson can resurrect him.

Yeah, but Matt Wieters is the one putting down the fingers. Not Rick Adair. I think with Matusz, it is definitely mechanical. That's where Peterson comes into play.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but Matt Wieters is the one putting down the fingers. Not Rick Adair. I think with Matusz, it is definitely mechanical. That's where Peterson comes into play.

It doesn't matter what Matt puts down. The pitcher calls his game. He can shake as many pitches as he wants. I seriously doubt that Buck has some mandate stating the pitchers have to throw what Matt calls.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It's unbelievable how bad Matusz is. He looks like a completely different pitcher - literally, his windup looks nothing like when he came out of school. Remember he had pinpoint control and a devastating changeup? Remember the quotes from his college coach saying he was Major League ready? (And he actually was.)

How the heck did he turned into this red-cheeked, huffing and puffing, Brian Burress clone?

The Orioles...thats what happened.

The Orioles...thats what happened.

I tend to agree with this. Seems to me they've tried to make him into something he's not. He needs to go to Norfolk and establish the changeup.

I was hoping that some stability in the coaching staff would have been a good thing for Arrieta and Matusz...but that hasn't happened. I get the feeling these guys are only going to get straightened out when they go to a new organization.

What's really disappointing is that Matusz doesn't think his problems are mechanical. He thinks it just confidence. So, you can't throw the ball where you want because you aren't confident? Seems especially weak considering that he had a decent stretch before he went bad again and should have had confidence. He's saying his problems are mental. I think that might be part of it but if you can't control your fastball I have to think it's mechanical, unless you never showed that ability in the first place.

Yup. He doesn't look like the same pitcher he was when he first came up. It's almost as if he's overthrowing EVERY fastball and he just doesn't have that smooth follow-through he had. It sure seems to me as if this organization has really messed him up.

Bergesen, Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, all had some initial success and then regressed. Tillman never showed success in the majors but regressed at AAA. So far, the results aren't very impressive.

I would include Bedard in that list as well.

I would include Bedard in that list as well.

I would not. Bedard had success and was then traded and then got hurt. How did he regress with the Orioles?

Edit: unless you simply meant to add him to the list of pitchers the Orioles developed.

I am not a pitching coach or former pitcher beyond high school so take this with the appropriate grains of salt.

But I think Matusz might be better served by a Madduxian adjustment in his approach. Stop throwing at 100%. It's pretty obvious when he does it because he gains a few MPH on his fastball, he starts elevating, starts losing his arm slot, stops following through on his motion. The result is pitches that are released too early and come up and in to lefties and high and away on righties. It's a pretty consistent result, I've noticed, they just end up in that spot more. Not to mention they're flatter pitches.

You can be an 89 MPH lefty who has a LOT of success, especially with his secondary stuff which can be extremely good. You can't be a 92 MPH lefty who works up in the zone with flat pitches.

I would not. Bedard had success and was then traded and then got hurt. How did he regress with the Orioles?

Edit: unless you simply meant to add him to the list of pitchers the Orioles developed.

Yup...I meant of pitchers the O's developed...

I am not a pitching coach or former pitcher beyond high school so take this with the appropriate grains of salt.

But I think Matusz might be better served by a Madduxian adjustment in his approach. Stop throwing at 100%. It's pretty obvious when he does it because he gains a few MPH on his fastball, he starts elevating, starts losing his arm slot, stops following through on his motion. The result is pitches that are released too early and come up and in to lefties and high and away on righties. It's a pretty consistent result, I've noticed, they just end up in that spot more. Not to mention they're flatter pitches.

You can be an 89 MPH lefty who has a LOT of success, especially with his secondary stuff which can be extremely good. You can't be a 92 MPH lefty who works up in the zone with flat pitches.

I'd be willing to bet this is what his coaches are telling him. Apparently he refuses to listen.

I'd be willing to bet this is what his coaches are telling him. Apparently he refuses to listen.

I think at a minimum Palmer has told him this. If he's mentioning it on the broadcast every time he watches him pitch he's told Matusz long before.

It might not be a matter of refusing to listen... trying to throw less hard might be as difficult as throwing harder. Either way it's an adjustment of mechanics and timing.

Bergesen, Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, all had some initial success and then regressed. Tillman never showed success in the majors but regressed at AAA. So far, the results aren't very impressive.

The concept of the "cavalry" and "grow the arms, buy the bats" was wonderful. However, the infrastructure, organizational consistency and fundamentals from level to level seemed to never have followed. Coupled with being rushed too soon, these guys had initial success and didn't have the tools to adapt. I hate to call them a total loss at this point, but nothing has shown me any different. These guys have to show absolute consistency at AAA for an extended period of time. In large part, I think they were ruined by the organization who drafted them. Thank goodness the errors of the past few years have just started to be corrected. By the way, where is Brian's emotional leader Brady Anderson these days?

Archived