Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would give you rep for this if I could. Can't agree more.

Long term-sustainability>shot at a playoff spot which only guarantees one game. Let's put it this way, even if you get Greinke, odds are still probably 40% or lower to get a playoff spot. Then you have a game with a 50% of winning (if we're being generous--as you note, it could be even lower). .50x.40= .20-- is a 20% chance (at best--the real odds are probably much lower than this considering there's probably at least a 20-30% chance Greinke comes in and makes little difference at all over a 2 month span--there's too much variability in approx. 10 starts) at playing more than one game in the playoffs worth trading a real piece (or worse--multiple--but I don't even want to consider that possibility) of our future?

My faith in DD is starting to waver. If he sells off anything of worth for Greinke (that includes AAA boys Matusz, Arrieta, + Britton) it will shrink to new lows.

Count me in with the others who are seriously concerned about this/against this. I thought Thome was just Duquette being opportunistic/covering his bases/being clever but maybe I was wrong.

I'm sorry but that's just funny. For the last 2 years we've seen nothing but inconsistency from Matusz and Arrieta and that's being kind. Coveting your own prospects so much to the point where you won't make a move is one of the principal reasons (among others) we've sucked for the last 14 years! If Duquette wants to make a move and another team sees something in Matusz or Arrieta...by all means go for it!

We need some real pitchers to step up....I'd love to have Grienke. To get you have to give. Of course I'd want him extended in any deal we made.

DD only trades for Greinke if he can extend him. No way he's giving 2-3 of our better prospects for a two month rental and no-comp picks. Sorry folks but its just not happening no matter how much we debate it.

It is rather perplexing most don't seem to get this.

DD only trades for Greinke if he can extend him. No way he's giving 2-3 of our better prospects for a two month rental and no-comp picks. Sorry folks but its just not happening no matter how much we debate it.

DD is such a wildcard that I am not 100% sure he doesn't pull the trigger on a deal that doesn't include Bundy or Machado. I could easily see him dealing Matusz or Arrieta if Buck is down on them.

DD is such a wildcard that I am not 100% sure he doesn't pull the trigger on a deal that doesn't include Bundy or Machado. I could easily see him dealing Matusz or Arrieta if Buck is down on them.

I think the (minor, nothing to get upset about)Thome deal has skewed the perception of DD around here.

He isn't some idiotic loose cannon who is going to give young arms away for nothing.

I think the (minor, nothing to get upset about)Thome deal has skewed the perception of DD around here.

He isn't some idiotic loose cannon who is going to give young arms away for nothing.

You could easily make the case that he also overpaid for Eveland and Teagarden.

What's rather perplexing is that people don't seem to get that whether we extend Greinke or not, we're still trading for 3 months of him. Milwaukee only has him contracted until the end of the season--in other words, 2-3 months--so they only have 2-3 months worth of Greinke to trade.

Obviously--or at least hopefully--we're not trading 2 or 3 of our better prospects for Greinke. But trading Matusz, Arietta, or Britton for 2-3 months of Greinke is still a bad idea. If the price is a little higher than that of Thome, fine, but let's keep this in perspective, here. In both cases we're trading for 2-3 months of a player and if Thome hits to a .830-.850 OPS as his track record suggests Greinke actually isn't that much more valuable than him. That means we should be trading something like Steve Johnson, Glynn Davis, and Eduardo Rodriguez/Mike Wright/Parker Bridwell for Greinke.

I have a hard time someone will not offer more than that--and unless they are a surefire contender, they'll likely be over-paying.

And? Did we give up any top young arms to get them? Who cares, "overpaid" is a relative term.

To me Grienke without an extension has zero value to us. None. Nada. Zilch.

I am guessing most people in the warehouse, including DD, feel the same way. They would have to be complete incompetent fools to think otherwise.

I will give them a little more credit than that, until they give me a reason not to.

Yeah ... A few low level prospects (not likely to pan out) for some marginal MLB talent when our rotation and back up catcher situation really looked bleak.

What's rather perplexing is that people don't seem to get that whether we extend Greinke or not, we're still trading for 3 months of him. Milwaukee only has him contracted until the end of the season--in other words, 2-3 months--so they only have 2-3 months worth of Greinke to trade.

If we get him extended how are we only trading for 3 months of him?

Obviously--or at least hopefully--we're not trading 2 or 3 of our better prospects for Greinke. But trading Matusz, Arietta, or Britton for 2-3 months of Greinke is still a bad idea. If the price is a little higher than that of Thome, fine, but let's keep this in perspective, here. In both cases we're trading for 2-3 months of a player and if Thome hits to a .830-.850 OPS as his track record suggests Greinke actually isn't that much more valuable than him. That means we should be trading something like Steve Johnson, Glynn Davis, and Eduardo Rodriguez/Mike Wright/Parker Bridwell for Greinke.

I have a hard time someone will not offer more than that--and unless they are a surefire contender, they'll likely be over-paying.

Completely agree!

If we get him extended how are we only trading for 3 months of him?

Pretty simple: the trade doesn't get us the extension. It may get us a window, I guess. So the best you can say the trade gets us is: 3 mos. and an opportunity to extend. Not much added, in the end, especially given the extreme unlikelihood that Greinke wants to extend.

Archived