Competetive Balance Draft Refresher

Can_of_corn

But I think that's just due to a shift in American entertainment preference rather than league management. The NFL's growth has been drawfing the MLB's.

The MLB Advanced Media, put together by league management, and taking advantage of a shift in American entertainment preferences, is generating mind-boggling revenues and net profit... far more than the NFL even though the NFL has more online traffic. As a result, the MLB had at one point quietly overtaken the NFL as the highest revenue generating league. Now the NFL is #1 but the MLB is a much closer second in revenue and profits than one would think.

I've looked over some of the more interesting aspects of the new CBA a few weeks ago, but after reading this article bringing more details to light about the penalized draft picks going into a lottery for the teams that didn't exceed the draft pool to win, I think that the MLB is jumping the shark as a league. It's like Selig is turning it into a gameshow or something. Nothing like the clean, historic, rarely changing rules that his predecessors had. The All-Star game determining home-field advantage, adding a 1-game play-off series between WC teams (after being the only Commissioner to even add a WC winner at all in the 90's), interleague play (which I like though), competitive balance lotteries, replay in baseball, playing regular season games in Japan during the middle of spring training, etc. For decades, the most controversial thing they had was adding the DH to the American League and adding free agency (and the latter was only because the courts forced it at gunpoint).

And you kids get off my lawn!!! *shake that fist hahdah boy!*

Everything you mentioned you hated has made MLB more and more money! I'm no fan of King Bud the Omnipotent, but he has EXPLODED interest in MLB. Compared to what it was. I'd rank him pretty high on the list of Greatest Commishes ever.

While these changes help the short term for the Orioles since I believe they'll be winners very soon, it sad that the past 14+ years or part of didn't employ this method. Think of all the extra picks the Orioles would have been afforded (or wasted) depending upon how you see it. Teams that will slowly be in their decline that have been winners that past decade will see the benefit in this moreso than the Orioles, Royals, Pirates, et al.

While these changes help the short term for the Orioles since I believe they'll be winners very soon, it sad that the past 14+ years or part of didn't employ this method. Think of all the extra picks the Orioles would have been afforded (or wasted) depending upon how you see it. Teams that will slowly be in their decline that have been winners that past decade will see the benefit in this moreso than the Orioles, Royals, Pirates, et al.

The O's had the same chance to game the system that the rest of the AL East did, they chose not to. They also chose to give away draft picks for relief pitchers.

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve

The Orioles just got the fourth pick in Round A (follows 1st round) of Competitive Balance Lottery.

Projects to be the 35th pick currently.

Pirates are going to have a nice budget next draft with 2 first rounders and a Round A pick.

Very interested to see if these picks are traded and how they will be valued if a trade does occur.

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier! I started this same thread under Amateur Draft today.

NP, this thread is older (I bumped it after your post) and I can see how it could fit under Amateur Draft. I put the overview under MLB since it is a CBA issues.

Archived