Competetive Balance Draft Refresher

Can_of_corn

Pretty much like the thread says.

The eligible teams are:

Arizona D-backs, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Royals, Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres, Tampa Bay Rays, Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111130&content_id=26059392

Pretty much like the thread says.

The eligible teams are:

Arizona D-backs, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Royals, Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres, Tampa Bay Rays, Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111130&content_id=26059392

I know MLB is beyond upset with the lack of attendance in Tampa, but they should not be awarded another draft pick that will have no consequence on that issue. Miami should be disqualified for failing to sign their first rounder this year because they won't even go slot. St. Louis should be disqualified since they just won the World Series.

I know MLB is beyond upset with the lack of attendance in Tampa, but they should not be awarded another draft pick that will have no consequence on that issue. Miami should be disqualified for failing to sign their first rounder this year because they won't even go slot. St. Louis should be disqualified since they just won the World Series.

I agree with what you say, but the good news is that odds of getting a pick are based on the past seasons winning%, so the Rays, Cards (and Brewers and Dbacks) are the most unlikely in the group.

We actually have the best shot, since Seattle, Houston, and Minnesota aren't in the pool.

I think this is really stupid. That said, it benefits the Orioles, so... Bring on the extra draft pick!

It's not stupid. It's a deal to balance the "soft-slotting" (which the lower teams hate) with the bonus of extra picks. Or to even be able to trade those picks. Value GIVEN to the lower teams.

And yes, the O's have a 46% chance to land one of these picks. :) The odds on the second lottery, is beyond my considerable math skilz...

I do like the fact that they can be traded. Hopefully it will lead to all picks being eligible for trading in the future.

I like that the picks can be traded too. Doubt it leads to ANY pick being traded tho. Not any time soon. Certainly not ill the next CBA.

I like that the picks can be traded too. Doubt it leads to ANY pick being traded tho. Not any time soon. Certainly not ill the next CBA.

Just to clarify... I think free trading of all picks is inevitable. But it's more of a suffragette movement. Civil Rights movement. No disrespect meant to EITHER of those! Just on that kind of time frame.

Question for wiser folk than I, can a team get a pick from both lotteries? Competitive Balance and the forfeited picks?

I'm guessing no, but only guessing.

I don't see why not. As long as you are eligible for both drafts. But I don't think any team will forfeit a draft pick.

I like that they're getting more serious about the luxary tax, and getting rid of the sandwich pick compensation that only encouraged Free Agency and letting teams let players walk, and installing the draft pool, but this competitive balance draft just seems demeaning. I feel like they're giving us affirmative action or food stamps, saying that Baltimore isn't a "big enough city to support a team." We're in an affluent area, we just happen to be in a city that's pigeon holed by Philly, Pittsburgh, and DC. The league is only putting duct tape on the fact that it's the only one of the major 4 team sports leagues that doesn't have any kind of a spending cap.

I've looked over some of the more interesting aspects of the new CBA a few weeks ago, but after reading this article bringing more details to light about the penalized draft picks going into a lottery for the teams that didn't exceed the draft pool to win, I think that the MLB is jumping the shark as a league. It's like Selig is turning it into a gameshow or something. Nothing like the clean, historic, rarely changing rules that his predecessors had. The All-Star game determining home-field advantage, adding a 1-game play-off series between WC teams (after being the only Commissioner to even add a WC winner at all in the 90's), interleague play (which I like though), competitive balance lotteries, replay in baseball, playing regular season games in Japan during the middle of spring training, etc. For decades, the most controversial thing they had was adding the DH to the American League and adding free agency (and the latter was only because the courts forced it at gunpoint).

I've looked over some of the more interesting aspects of the new CBA a few weeks ago, but after reading this article bringing more details to light about the penalized draft picks going into a lottery for the teams that didn't exceed the draft pool to win, I think that the MLB is jumping the shark as a league. It's like Selig is turning it into a gameshow or something. Nothing like the clean, historic, rarely changing rules that his predecessors had. The All-Star game determining home-field advantage, adding a 1-game play-off series between WC teams (after being the only Commissioner to even add a WC winner at all in the 90's), interleague play (which I like though), competitive balance lotteries, replay in baseball, playing regular season games in Japan during the middle of spring training, etc. For decades, the most controversial thing they had was adding the DH to the American League and adding free agency (and the latter was only because the courts forced it at gunpoint).

And yet attendance and TV money continues to go up.

But I think that's just due to a shift in American entertainment preference rather than league management. The NFL's growth has been drawfing the MLB's.

Has it? I know the NFL's ratings are higher but have you been following some of the TV deals teams have been receiving?

But I think that's just due to a shift in American entertainment preference rather than league management. The NFL's growth has been drawfing the MLB's.

Actually, the NFL has been losing viewership. They are still the gorrilla.

The growth was exponential because of gambling and fantasy football. Both huge drivers of the NFL's success.

Archived