Dylan Bundy missing his cutter

xian4

Bundy and his father should shut their pie holes. I'm getting tired of thier b*tching. He's admitted that he needs to command his FB and off speed pitches better. And, last I looked, when your employer, especially one that is paying you $millions, tells you to do something, you shut up and do it. Preferably with a smile.

The kid is 19 years old, competitive as heck, and doing everything they tell him to do. If I'm the O's, I'm smiling when he makes comments like that. It means he isn't just there to pitch. He's there to win.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind Bundy speaking his mind, so long as he does what the team asks him to do. I'm interested to see the famous cutter but it is important for him to develop other pitches. It will be interesting to see if they take the wraps off when he gets to Bowie.

I imagine many folks here will believe the ends will justify the means (i.e. how the Os are developing Bundy - slow ramp up in IP, keeping Bundy in DelMarva and Frederick for so long, scrapping the cutter), but I think the credit really goes to Bundy's overwhelming talent.

Bundy is on a strict IP program, so he's only going to get so far in the time it takes to get to the IP count, but I continue to believe the Os have asked Bundy to pitch between 1 and 2 levels below where he is most likely to face a challenge - and I don't think that is appropriate. I think this year of Bundy's development has been a waste in this regard.

Bundy and his father should shut their pie holes. I'm getting tired of thier b*tching. He's admitted that he needs to command his FB and off speed pitches better. And, last I looked, when your employer, especially one that is paying you $millions, tells you to do something, you shut up and do it. Preferably with a smile.

Bundy was asked a question and answered it. He didn't say he was mad at the organization or that it wasn't good for him. He even admitted he's not worried about ten years from now but now. that's the way 19-year old are supposed to think and it's why they are not in charge of their own development. I don't see any story here at all. By the way, I've talked to Denver several times this year and not once has he told me he was upset with how Dylan is being developed. Not once.

I imagine many folks here will believe the ends will justify the means (i.e. how the Os are developing Bundy - slow ramp up in IP, keeping Bundy in DelMarva and Frederick for so long, scrapping the cutter), but I think the credit really goes to Bundy's overwhelming talent.

Bundy is on a strict IP program, so he's only going to get so far in the time it takes to get to the IP count, but I continue to believe the Os have asked Bundy to pitch between 1 and 2 levels below where he is most likely to face a challenge - and I don't think that is appropriate. I think this year of Bundy's development has been a waste in this regard.

How so? He's on pace to meet his innings limit and he's worked on fastball, chanegup and curveball command all season. although he has done very well against them, he hasn't dominated Carolina League batters. As for Delmarva, it was a good place to get his feet wet? the idea was to get him 125 innings while improving his command of three staple pitches. I don't see how this year can be viewed as anything but a success for Bundy.

Meh. I could have done without Delmarva, or maybe with the Delmarva stint being 2-3 starts shorter. He struggled enough at Frederick where I believe that starting him any higher than Frederick certainly would have been a mistake. Maybe if he had started the year at Frederick he'd have been in Bowie since July 1 or so. I don't think the difference between the ideal path and the actual path is significant enough to call this year a waste.

Bundy's not nearly as bent out of shape about this as you seem to be.

Any specifics from his starts you've seen in person that you can use as evidence?

Any specifics from his starts you've seen in person that you can use as evidence?

Ha ha. Did you need to see him in person to believe he should have been promoted to Frederick? Or that he should have started in DelMarva?

Regarding everyone else, Bundy would have "honed his stuff" and worked on "improving his command" anywhere he had been placed. I disagree with where he was placed because he is clearly beyond the level of competition the Orioles have designated. Doing all this without one of his better pitches also.

Ha ha. Did you need to see him in person to believe he should have been promoted to Frederick? Or that he should have started in DelMarva?

Regarding everyone else, Bundy would have "honed his stuff" and worked on "improving his command" anywhere he had been placed. I disagree with where he was placed because he is clearly beyond the level of competition the Orioles have designated. Doing all this without one of his better pitches also.

So since his development has been so poor (according to you), what do you think are the consequences?

So since his development has been so poor (according to you), what do you think are the consequences?

First, Tony, I never said Bundy's development was poor and I think in every post going back several months I have hinted that the consequences are minimal - especially considering the innings limitation.

I do not understand why Bundy started off in DelMarva pitching on the same team as Parker Bridwell, Jesse Beal, Cowan, etc? Did the Os not notice in Spring Training that Bundy was ahead of these guys? Not complaining, just asking.

Tony, do you believe DelMarva was an appropriate level of competition for Bundy? Do you believe he honed his craft there better than he could have at Frederick?

First, Tony, I never said Bundy's development was poor and I think in every post going back several months I have hinted that the consequences are minimal - especially considering the innings limitation.

I do not understand why Bundy started off in DelMarva pitching on the same team as Parker Bridwell, Jesse Beal, Cowan, etc? Did the Os not notice in Spring Training that Bundy was ahead of these guys? Not complaining, just asking.

Tony, do you believe DelMarva was an appropriate level of competition for Bundy? Do you believe he honed his craft there better than he could have at Frederick?

I believe the kid was just out of high school and never had to endure a long bus rides over night, motels, eating on the road, and going to the park every single day. I was absolutely fine with him going to Delmarva to start off his career. No one had any idea how much he would dominate that competition, so I think its easy to say he should not have gone there. What if he went straight to Frederick and had a few bad games while trying to pitch without his cutter? People would be saying the Orioles rushed him and he wasn't ready. At the end of the day, the idea for this season was to get him 125 innings, work on command of his fastball, curveball and changeup, and end the year in Double-A. I believe he will have reached all of those goals before the years out. He can start 2013 in Bowie's rotation with all of his pitches and move up to Norfolk when he dominates. If he dominates AAA hitters and can get to seven innings consistently, then he's ready for the big leagues.

Ok, I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but I don't get not letting him use the cutter. Like he said himself, he's 19y.o. Let him use his best stuff, fine tune his best pitch, and let him learn how to dominate professional ballplayers. I mean watching David Price yesterday, I feel like he threw about 80% cutters...if you have one pitch that is that good, you really don't need a whole lot else to dominate.

Archived