Machado at 3B

Frobby

Meh, I get your point that Machado > Betemit on defense but Betemit did make a play like that (I want to say vs. CHW) to win us a game. It was a swinging bunt in a game back in April.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. As bad as Betemit is on defense, that slow roller is one play I think he's actually been pretty good at imo. I've seen him make it more than a few times. That said, Machado looks good out there in all facets and should be a big improvement on defense. Hopefully he can continue to hit.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh, I get your point that Machado > Betemit on defense but Betemit did make a play like that (I want to say vs. CHW) to win us a game. It was a swinging bunt in a game back in April.
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. As bad as Betemit is on defense, that slow roller is one play I think he's actually been pretty good at imo. I've seen him make it more than a few times. That said, Machado looks good out there in all facets and should be a big improvement on defense. Hopefully he can continue to hit.

Betemit may have been better than Reynolds at coming in on balls hit in front of him but the play Machado made was one very few make. He came in very quickly and got rid of the ball quickly and accurately from a more difficult position than the play referenced by Betemit. And even if you want to make that comparison are you forgetting how bad Betemit has looked on balls hit right at him? Machado will make mistakes but I'm already assured that our defense is improved over that of Betemit.

The run dif could look a lot different by the beginning of October.

Let's see... they're -43 right now. The Yanks own the best differential in the league, at about 0.9 runs/game. If the O's match the Yanks for best run differential over their last 46 games they'll still be -2 for the year.

Best case they're going to be about 0 in run differential and I'd imagine at least 10 games over .500. I guess you can call that "a lot different" than 10 games over .500 and -50, but it's still wacky.

Let's see... they're -43 right now. The Yanks own the best differential in the league, at about 0.9 runs/game. If the O's match the Yanks for best run differential over their last 46 games they'll still be -2 for the year.

Best case they're going to be about 0 in run differential and I'd imagine at least 10 games over .500. I guess you can call that "a lot different" than 10 games over .500 and -50, but it's still wacky.

Right. No one should care about the year-end run differential. The key is scoring more than the other opposition through the rest of the year, and preferably by a decent margin.

As of right now, who is the better SS between Machado and Hardy?

With Hardy signed for a few more years, and past reports that Machado might outgrow SS and move to 3b later on anyway, why not just let the young man stay at 3rd and learn it from day 1? I'm sure you'll all talk about how it will deminsh his value and yadda yadda yadda, but if playing Hardy at SS and Machado at 3b is our better defensive alignment, then that's what I'd rather see.

Hardy is the 4th best SS in baseball by rWAR. Machado hasn't even played a game there.

I'm sorry but this is really a ridiculous question. Maybe you were trying to ask, "Who should play SS for the betterment of the team?" but that's a completely different question.

Hardy is the 4th best SS in baseball by rWAR. Machado hasn't even played a game there.

I'm sorry but this is really a ridiculous question. Maybe you were trying to ask, "Who should play SS for the betterment of the team?" but that's a completely different question.

I don't think it's a ridiculous question at all. And Machado has played a lot of games there, just all at the minor league or amateur level.

I would assume that if you made a list of all of the best defensive shortstops in the world the top 20 or 30 would have a good number of players from outside MLB.

Betemit may have been better than Reynolds at coming in on balls hit in front of him but the play Machado made was one very few make. He came in very quickly and got rid of the ball quickly and accurately from a more difficult position than the play referenced by Betemit. And even if you want to make that comparison are you forgetting how bad Betemit has looked on balls hit right at him? Machado will make mistakes but I'm already assured that our defense is improved over that of Betemit.

Well, saying Betemit is better than Reynolds on bunts/slow rollers is like saying Filet Mignon is better than hamburger. I also said that while Betemit was a poor defender he was good on that particular play so I'm not sure why the comment about me forgetting about how bad he is was really needed. That said, I agree that the particular play yesterday by Machado was extraordinary and Betemit would have likely not made it.

Or they improve their RD and get unlucky, so the Pythagorean worshippers lose their argument regarding the O's and luck. :D

Well, saying Betemit is better than Reynolds on bunts/slow rollers is like saying Filet Mignon is better than hamburger.

So... you're saying that Wilson Betemit is Filet Mignon? What's Brooks Robinson, Filet Mignon wrapped in jowl bacon with duck confit on top and gravy made from a reduction of pigs who'd been raised on pure truffle oil and allowed to sleep on feathers hand-plucked from endangered Condors?

If it was me I'd say Betemit was a Checkers hamburger, and Reynolds was school lunch mystery meat.

Yea, I just took that entire post way too far.

So... you're saying that Wilson Betemit is Filet Mignon? What's Brooks Robinson, Filet Mignon wrapped in jowl bacon with duck confit on top and gravy made from a reduction of pigs who'd been raised on pure truffle oil and allowed to sleep on feathers hand-plucked from endangered Condors?

If it was me I'd say Betemit was a Checkers hamburger, and Reynolds was school lunch mystery meat.

Well, maybe filet mignon was too much, but keep in mind I am isolating one particular type of play. How about pork chops and hamburger helper? Any better?

Sorry, guy. It was a rhetorical (meaning you don't really have to answer it) question to drive a conversation.

Carry on, professor.

Brooks is caviar. :) With Mathuselah Rose Dom Perignon.

2tumblr-m8pk6nAolj1rb86ldo1-400-jpg_164701.jpg

Machado and Andino are merely Kobe filet mignon.

Archived