Dan Haren Traded to Dbacks--When is Bedard Going??

micahl69

:confused:

LOL you think Billy Beane would be stupid enough to take a lesser package to spite the Orioles?

What planet are you on, dude?!?!?!

No I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying he got his revenge even though that wasn't his intention. He's made it a lot harder to deal Bedard for a premium package...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beane has always coveted Bedard and he asked for him when the the A's were trading Hudson. The O's refused to part with him in a package and Hudson was traded for an inferior package as Hudson is still quite effective for the Braves. Now fast forward, Beane settles with the D'Backs for a lesser package than Haren was worth and in the process, drove down Bedard's value. Now MacPhail can't seem to trade Bedard because nobody will meet his demands because Arizona only had to give up 1 top prospect to get Haren. So it looks like Beane got his revenge albeit it inadvertently. If he can't have Erik Bedard in a trade, nobody can...

What's your defintion of "Top Prospect"? Billy got 2 of the DBacks top 5, and 4 of their top 10...

If there are mulitple teams in on him, we should still be in the driver's seat. Let's not forget, it wasn't an arm injury. The fact that he's never pitched 200 innings might have a small effect on what's being offered, but I don't think it's significant. The fact is, the O's have been asking for a lot and have been offered not so much. Deals get made in the middle.

Does not having the DH in the NL typically result in fewer innings pitched by starters over the course of a season?

What's your defintion of "Top Prospect"? Billy got 2 of the DBacks top 5, and 4 of their top 10...

I'll give you MLBtraderumors breakdown...

I'm surprised Billy Beane didn't get more "sure thing" young players for his best trading chip. Gonzalez will probably pan out, but he really needed a high octane near-MLB young gun starter too and he didn't get it. I will give him credit for spreading out his risk over six prospects, though. Josh Byrnes gets an ace without giving up anyone he needed in '08.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/dan-haren-tra-1.html

He didn't get top value for Haren who was under team control until 2010. So now we can't get top value for Bedard because Haren was valued above Bedard.

No I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying he got his revenge even though that wasn't his intention. He's made it a lot harder to deal Bedard for a premium package...

Well, my bad for misinterpreting you...

Now fast forward, Beane settles with the D'Backs for a lesser package than Haren was worth and in the process, drove down Bedard's value.

You think Beane took a lesser package for Haren?

If he can't have Erik Bedard in a trade, nobody can...

This would indicate intent to me...

You think Beane took a lesser package for Haren?

Absolutely, he didn't even try to bid the Yankees or Red Sox against each other and other teams such as Cinci were interested as well. He went for quantity instead of quality. He could have recieved a much better package.

Here's Keith Law's brief analysis. Doesn't really say who came out a winner.

Acquiring Dan Haren from the A's gives the Diamondbacks the No. 2 starter they thought they were getting last winter when they traded for Randy Johnson, and Arizona is now much better prepared to live without the Big Unit's services in 2008. Meanwhile, Oakland gets a headstart on its rebuilding process, including one high-ceiling hitting prospect and some interesting left-handed arms.

You didn't answer the question. Did Beane get top prospects or not? It appears he did, but the writer thinks he couldv'e gotten more prospects closer to the majors. That's all. He didn't really criticize the value in return, just the ML readiness of the prospects.

JTrea, you are twisting words and coming up with a really, really, silly theory here. Quit while you're behind.

There's no silly theory here, I'm not saying Beane intentionally did anything. I just find it interesting that by dealing Haren for a lesser package than he could have got, he made it harder for the Orioles to deal Bedard for the premium package they though they could get. So in a way he got revenge on the O's without intending to do so. Had he traded Haren to the Red Sox for Buchholz and Ellsbury or to the Yankees for Hughes and Jackson, the Orioles would have a much better chance of getting top prospects.

There's no silly theory here, I'm not saying Beane intentionally did anything. I just find it interesting that by dealing Haren for a lesser package than he could have got, he made it harder for the Orioles to deal Bedard for the premium package they though they could get. So in a way he got revenge on the O's without intending to do so. Had he traded Haren to the Yankees or Red Sox for Buccholz and Ellsbury or Hughes and Jackson the Orioles would have a much better chance of getting top prospects.

What "could he have got?"

Archived