Dan Haren Traded to Dbacks--When is Bedard Going??

micahl69

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from mlb.com

PHOENIX -- The D-backs completed a deal to acquire right-handers Dan Haren and Connor Robertson from the A's in exchange for six prospects, it was announced Friday afternoon.

In addition, the D-backs sent closer Jose Valverde to the Astros in exchange for infielder Chris Burke and right-handers Chad Qualls and Juan Gutierrez.

Included in the trade to Oakland are pitchers Brett Anderson, Greg Smith and Dana Eveland along with outfielders Carlos Gonzalez and Aaron Cunningham and first baseman Chris Carter.

Steve Gilbert

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071214&content_id=2326595&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

Overall, this is excellent excellent news. They got 6 players back for Haren and Robertson (who is basically a throw in) I've gotta think some of those 6 are Arizona's top prospects. One fewer name on the board, and it didn't go to any of the teams pursuing Bedard. That's a win.

BA:

1. Carlos Gonzalez, of

2. Jarrod Parker, rhp

3. Brett Anderson, lhp

4. Max Scherzer, rhp

5. Gerardo Parra, of

6. Emilio Bonifacio, 2b/ss

7. Aaron Cunningham, of

8. Chris Carter, 1b

9. Reynaldo Navarro, ss

10. Barry Enright, rhp

Wow. Granted, ARI's system isn't nearly as strong as the Dodgers' or Reds'. This is great news for us.

Is it just me or does it seem like more prospects are being exchanged in each deal than usual. It seems like every deal has a lot of players coming back.

The MCab/Willis trade netted 6 players

The Tejada trade netted 5 players

The Haren trade netted 6 players

BRob is rumored to be traded for 4 players

It really seems like teams are shying away from trade their top couple prospects together trying to deal a lot of other prospects.

By the way, that's a pretty nice return for Haren - should only help Bedard's value. I think I would accept that deal for Bedard and Bedard has more value than Haren!

Definitely. Arizona doesn't have a terrible farm system, and here they are giving up 4 of their top 10 prospects(according to baseball america) including their number 1 for a pitcher that most people don't consider as great a pickup as Bedard is. Ideally for the Orioles, this trade really makes it much clearer to the rest of Major League Baseball exactly how much is needed to get a top-notch pitcher at the moment. By MacPhail's comments and actions, it's clear that he's felt that he was consistently short-changed by all the offers.

Anyway, I think this move really puts a lot of pressure on the Dodgers, particularly if they are that serious about making that playoff push within the next two years. I guess Bedard to the Dodgers really depends a lot on where Kurada ends up, but if Kuroda doesn't end up with the Dodgers, I think their getting Bedard will become inevitable.

Archived