That could be a death blow for Tampa

Frobby

Seems to me Tampa still controls their destiny. If OAK, LAA, and Tampa all win out, then LAA and Tampa have a one game playoff to determine who the second wild card is. That to me still means they control their own destiny.

If OAK, LAA, and Tampa all win out, Tampa and LAA would still be 2 behind OAK. and out of the playoffs.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, the best they can do is tie. They can't get in without one of those teams losing.

They are two games behind Oakland, if Oak and LAA win out, and Tampa wins out then they are still two games behind Oakland, tied with LA.

So yes, the only teams that completely control their destiny right now are Baltimore and Oakland.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

A tie still means you control your destiny. You just would have to win the tiebreaker.

If OAK, LAA, and Tampa all win out, Tampa and LAA would still be 2 behind OAK. and out of the playoffs.

Remember that the Rays' last 3 games are against the Orioles. So if the Rays win out, they'd gain 3 games on the Birds (even if the O's sweep the Red Sox before that).

So Oakland would get the #1 wild card, and the Angels and Rays would be tied with the Orioles for the second wild card spot, all at 92-70.

That's not right - like you said, LAA and Tampa would be behind Oakland, but that's for the #1 wild card spot. Those two teams would also be tied with the O's (assuming the O's swept Boston) for the #2 Wild Card spot.

Here is my hope....by Saturday night at 7 p.m., pretty much all of the key Saturday games will already have been played (Oak/Sea, TB/Chi, LAA/Texas, NY/Tor) before we go to first pitch in Baltimore. If TB can lose tonight and tomorrow, and LAA can lose tonight and tomorrow, and we can win tonight, then we can clinch a playoff spot with certainty Saturday night at the Yard without worrying about the scoreboard or staying up late. What a scene that would be!

Come on Texas and Chicago!!!!

Tampa FINALLY loses. Our magic number for them is two and we can close them out before traveling to Tampa by beating Boston two more times.

Yes but as someone already pointed out, the Rays might not be eliminated from post season play by the time we go to Tampa. While we might secure the better record, they could be motivated to sweep and secure the second Wild Card.

Yes but as someone already pointed out, the Rays might not be eliminated from post season play by the time we go to Tampa. While we might secure the better record, they could be motivated to sweep and secure the second Wild Card.

Who cares! I will be in Bmore watching the wild card game on Friday!

If we can't win one of three from TB we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

I'd feel a little better about everything if the Rangers would assert themselves as best team in the West. Seems like LAA and Oakland are going to fall short in chasing Texas for the division, but both LAA and Oakland are taking it to the Rangers the past week or so. I didn't expect much help from Seattle, but I was hoping Texas would have pushed both LAA and Oakland one win lower in the WC chase by now. Still time for them to do so.

Archived