Am I the only one who really likes Flaherty?

joedogg9999

Yeah, I agree, it's a defensive issue at this point. If he works really hard at it in the off season, who knows.

PS- Were not the type of board who will call you out for signing up after the team starts winning. We know there are tons of fans who were completely frustrated with all the losing. Welcome.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather take a chance with the young kid than give more money to a 37 or 38 year old Scutaro, regardless of how impressively he is performing at the moment. The blue jays 2b isn't very good...he has a batting avg of under 250 and an slg % of under 40 and an ops of under 700. Earlier this year, I thought...why can't the orioles just have a blue jays type of production starting 2b? I think Flaherty could be at least that good next year....with full playing time. He seems to have some pop at the plate

If you watched how much Reynolds has improved at first you see what a guy with ability can to on the defensive end. I think Flaherty has the talent to play an above average 2B defensively. He just needs the repetition. And I think he can hit. Problem with projecting him as the starting 2B is that Brian will be back.

Agree with most of the above. I've come around on his offense but I'm increasingly worried about his defense. I heard someone recently suggest he would make a nice 1B down the road which makes a lot of sense... but not for this team right now.

His role for 2013 is still an enigma to me.

If you watched how much Reynolds has improved at first you see what a guy with ability can to on the defensive end. I think Flaherty has the talent to play an above average 2B defensively. He just needs the repetition. And I think he can hit. Problem with projecting him as the starting 2B is that Brian will be back.

I wouldn't project Roberts as the starter. I hope the best for Brian, but that ship has sailed.

It's certainly a need for us going forward. Brian is a big question mark. Dino is right on the cusp but not what I would call an every day player. Q really cooled off. Much like everyone else, I like his bat. I think it's great that we managed to keep him thru the rule 5 stuff, it got a little .. let's say tenuous at times with him on the roster.

He is also 26 years old so there's room to improve here I think. I know some guys can look at a 26 year old and say he is what he is right now. I'm not one of those and I think he is young enough to improve on defense.

I think Brian gets his last shot next year if he's healthy. This is just how Buck does things with the vets. If that doesn't work out, I could see Flaherty out there with Dino coming in for defensive situations.

You can also look and see that I just found this site this year also. I can honestly say that as much fun as you have had this season, the hangout can make it even better. This place rocks!

Welcome.

The FA 2B market is pretty thin- there's really nothing out there much better than what we have in Flaharty, who comes at a fraction of the cost. As far as trade goes we wouldn't be willing to give up what it takes to get Kinsler, and Cano and Pedroia are off the market, especially to us. Bring in some competition and let Andino, Flaharty, maybe Quintanilla and Tolleson fight it out in camp. School should be ready for a late 2013 call up.

Between Flaherty, Roberts, Andino, and even Schoop waiting in the minors...there has to be someone that will take a step forward. If Roberts is back then Flaherty can work on his defense at AAA until Roberts inevitably gets injured. Andino is good defensively so at a worst case scenerio at least we have that to bank on. While Schoop didn't light the world on fire I still think its worth keeping a close eye on him.

Surely you jest? I think Flaherty spends this winter working on his D at 2nd base, then gets every opportunity to start there, at least against righty's, next year. He should also take groundballs at third, IMO, so that when/if Manny ever moves over to short, he is a possibility at third. But I really like Manny to stay at short, to be honest.

I absolutely don't jest. While the stats say Flaherty has done well at 2nd base, his tools there look suspect especially compared to his tools at 3rd base. And Machado will be excellent defensively at any infield position, imo.

Archived