Vs. Rays 10/1

waroriole

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, he does it wth everyone. Saunders comes to mind last week. I was in a bar and predicted 2 runs as soon as I saw Saunders coming out for the 7th and sure enough, we gave up exactly 2 runs that inning.

Chen has pretty much sucked in the 7th inning this season. I honestly think right after that error, Buck needed to do something to change the mojo of the game. Plus, Chen sucks in the 7th inning. I think his 7th inning ERA is about 278.2. Actually, it's 7.15 for the 7th inning, and over 13 for the 8th inning. I personally think it's mental tiredness or something. His velo is just as good in the late innings, but he runs out of gas somehow.

Strops in. Bucks conceding this one it seems.
Is Strop the new Gregg? BTW I don't understand why any onne would root for the A's. The last thing we want is to play them in OAK. TB has no chance to get to the WC, even if they sweep, which they won't.

O's were 4 up with 3 to play Tony. If the O's play the Rays in the Wild Card it will be at OPACY.
You're right, but I still rather plays the A's than the Rays,
Even if the Rays sweep the O's they still need the Rangers to sweep the A'S and i don't see that.

Thanks, but you should probably read before you post....

I don't consider myself to have a lot of baseball smarts. In fact I'm dead wrong more often than not. But as soon as I saw Chen take the mound for the 7th, I immediately knew that doing so was, at best, an extremely risky gamble considering how much his performance has fallen off in the stretch.

The unfolding events increased my certainty with each pitch that any sane manager in the majors would pull Chen, leading up to the break-open base hit. But it didn't happen.

For someone who has more baseball wisdom and/or experience than me, is there any way that you can justify what Buck did, leaving Chen in as long as he did, on some rational basis? Or was he literally just too stubborn to see the elephant in the room (namely, that Chen was out of gas)?

It just seems like common sense from here. Maybe someone with as many games as Buck takes on an approach that defies common sense and it pays dividends over time. What would such an approach look like, and how in the world can it be said that such approach is more appropriate than just giving a struggling pitcher the hook in a game that could very well decide the division title?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I want answers. I want explanations. I want to know what in God's name was going through Buck's mind when he kept Chen in, and in, and in, and in, as he watched the game slip away?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Probably because he hadn't been hit hard that inning, the one to Machado should've been a ground out, and the one to 1B just had an unlucky high bounce.

I am definitely pulling for Oakland. Why should Tampa get rewarded every year for waiting all the way until late September to decide to be unbeatable.....again? Their act is boring. Try harder in August next time.

I agree. The Rays are a good team, but they manage to be about as boring and uninteresting as possible. They are just white bread as all hell, IMO. Don't know why I say that... but I just... well... I don't enjoy them. Them and their late-season antics. And their nerd-glasses manager. Seriously, he knows they make better-looking glasses now, so he's trying to make a fashion statement or something. Not working for me at all.

Archived