Extend Wieters

Resign McLouth and Reynolds

Trade for Pedroia

Trade for Josh Johnson or sign Zach Grienke

Release Brian Roberts

I like an outfield of McLouth, Jones and Markakis

Infield of Reynolds, Pedroia, Hardy and Machado

Wieters behind the plate

Quite frankly, that might be our BEST defensive team EVER, and that says a lot.

Ford, Flaherty and Davis on the bench is solid

I actually think Hunter's emergence in the playoffs out of the pen might make some of the other guys (Ayala or Strop for instance) expendable.

Ayala has a cheap option. I'm assuming it will be picked up, then he might be traded. Strop is young and definitely has a lot of promise. I don't see us moving him. I do think that Hunter probably has a role in the pen as a middle relief arm or long man.

I think a lot of you guys are looking right past our #3 hitter next year, manny machado. Maybe not to start the year but by the all star break i think he will be there. But id still like to see a proven #3 or #4 guy come in like a prince fielder to protect adam jones.

1. Markakis RF

2. Machado SS

3. Jones CF

4. Fielderesque player 3b

5. Chris Davis DH

6. Matt Wieters C

7. Mark Reynolds 1b

8. JJ Hardy 2b

9. Nate Mclouth LF

Cole Hamels signed a $144M extension with Philadelphia before the trading deadline.

Greinke will get at least 80% of that contract from a poorly managed team.

If we're signing a type A pitcher, I hope it's Dan Haren or Shaun Marcum. Dollars and years will be much more reasonable.

Does Haren have a club option?

One thing I'd like to prioritize is to find a way to get these guys to have a better approach at the plate. I think that would make a world of difference with the players we already have. The Yanks pitchers lived on the outside edge all series and noone made an adjustment.

I brought up the hitting coach but I don't know enough about him and didn't get a response. Could we potentially replace Jim Presley? Would that make sense?

Not sure why people continue to think a big bat in the middle of the lineup is among our top concerns. We got the 2nd most home runs in the major leagues. Our problem is hat our OBP was TERRIBLE. We need some players that can get on base so that when our buffet of very good if not superstar home run hitters Jones, Weiters, Davis, Reynolds, and Hardy hit a home run there is someone on base.

We need a 2B desperately. If we can get Manny to move to 2B so we can get a 3B who will probably be a better hitter that would be great. I'm not really comfortable with a McLouth/Reimold LF. If we're trying to be a .500 team that's fine, but if we're trying to win the World Series we need world class players not players that are "good enough" so I'd get an outfielder. For both 2B (or 3B is Machado switches) and LF I would focus on OBP, although of course you take a home run hitter if it's a good deal or he's the best player available.

As far as pitching we looking pretty damn solid right now. That said it never hurts to sign a TOR starter. If we can sign a TOR starter we don't need Saunders. Look at all these pitchers that have been pitching incredible we'll have available!

1. New TOR Starter

2. Hammel

3. Tillman

4. Gonzalez

5. Johnson

6. Chen

7. Bundy

Honestly we don't really NEED a TOR starter. Our entire rotation is already pitching like 1-3 starters. I'll be very confident with this pitching if we can sign a couple of bats with great OBP.

Edit: and NEVER bat J.J. Hardy in the top half of the lineup. He hits a lot of home runs but can't get on base. He should be a 7 or 8 hitter.

I can't believe some posters want to hand the leadoff position to McLouth. He had some clutch hits and is an exciting player to watch, but he didn't even post a .700 OPS. That .314 OPS would look good in the leadoff position too. I would offer McLouth a one year deal to be 4th OF, but that's it. The O's need to upgrade LF w/ someone who can get on base at a .350 clip or better. Someone like Willingham (trade) or Hunter. I'm not counting on Riemold to play more than a small fraction of the season. He just can't stay healthy. I'll call him Eric Davis-lite.

It will be hard to upgrade 2B, because I can't see the O's paying Roberts $10 million and his replacement a similar amount. Looks like we're stuck w/ another year of Andino/Flaherty.

I'm happy w/ Davis at DH/backup OF for the next couple of years. He led the O's in HR and RBI. Maybe w/ a little improvement he can hit 40 HR/100 RBI.

O's might as well keep Reynolds at 1b because there's no one better on the FA market or that they can reasonably trade for. Might as well give him a 2 year deal, w/ an option, as $11 mill seems to much for next year.

Next years lineup

1. Markakis RF

2. Machado 3B

3. Jones CF

4. Davis DH

5. Hardy SS

6. Wieters C

7. Reynolds 1B

8. McLouth LF

9. 2B

Machado should not bat 2nd he had an OBP under .300 this year and the worst OPS of any starter. I would go with:

1. Markakis RF

2. McClouth/New Player LF

3. Jones CF

4. Davis DH

5. Reynolds 1B

6. Wieters C

7. Machado 3B

9. 2B

8. Hardy SS

I could go either way on Reynolds and Wieters since they batted about equally well this year but Reynolds is more proven. Hardy is free to fight his way up the lineup when he starts performing better offensively.

I can't believe some posters want to hand the leadoff position to McLouth. He had some clutch hits and is an exciting player to watch, but he didn't even post a .700 OPS. That .314 OPS would look good in the leadoff position too. I would offer McLouth a one year deal to be 4th OF, but that's it. The O's need to upgrade LF w/ someone who can get on base at a .350 clip or better. Someone like Willingham (trade) or Hunter. I'm not counting on Riemold to play more than a small fraction of the season. He just can't stay healthy. I'll call him Eric Davis-lite.

It will be hard to upgrade 2B, because I can't see the O's paying Roberts $10 million and his replacement a similar amount. Looks like we're stuck w/ another year of Andino/Flaherty.

I'm happy w/ Davis at DH/backup OF for the next couple of years. He led the O's in HR and RBI. Maybe w/ a little improvement he can hit 40 HR/100 RBI.

O's might as well keep Reynolds at 1b because there's no one better on the FA market or that they can reasonably trade for. Might as well give him a 2 year deal, w/ an option, as $11 mill seems to much for next year.

You make a lot of good points.

If we're stuck with Andino/Flaherty at 2B next season just because the Orioles don't want to have two high-priced 2B that will be a travesty. Brian Roberts pay is a sunk cost. 2B is our biggest hole and there's no excuse not to find a high caliber second baseman.

Archived