The #Orioles have declined Mark Reynolds' $11 mm option for 2013

Greg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get the sense from a lot of people around here that when an Oriole seems to be breaking jout (i.e. Chris Davis) we are reminded that his career norms are X, but when an Oriole seems to regress it is foolish to expect him to rebound to his career norms. In fairness, I'm generally an optimist/on the homer-side, but I think what counts as "realistic" around here is often wieghted heavily to pessimism.

Habits from 14 years of losing are hard to break in one year.

Yeah, I hate baseball players with positive value too. :rolleyes:

Really? Until he was moved to 1st he wasn't all of that much positive value(if any) his hitting isn't that much of a value. His average is terrible, if he doesn't hit the HR ball he doesn't bring much to the table.

Reynolds is not a necessity. It would be one thing if he was hitting some 30HRs with a decent average. Some 20 HRs to hit about .230 is nothing to write home about.

Really? Until he was moved to 1st he wasn't all of that much positive value(if any) his hitting isn't that much of a value. His average is terrible, if he doesn't hit the HR ball he doesn't bring much to the table.

Reynolds is not a necessity. It would be one thing if he was hitting some 30HRs with a decent average. Some 20 HRs to hit about .230 is nothing to write home about.

Don't forget that Reynolds gives you a decent OBP even though his average is low. I agree he needs to hit better in 2013 to be worth keeping beyond that.

I get the sense from a lot of people around here that when an Oriole seems to be breaking jout (i.e. Chris Davis) we are reminded that his career norms are X, but when an Oriole seems to regress it is foolish to expect him to rebound to his career norms. In fairness, I'm generally an optimist/on the homer-side, but I think what counts as "realistic" around here is often wieghted heavily to pessimism.

He might hit 30 HRs again but he is always likely to be a strikeout king with a team that already has other free swingers. If he could hit for an average it might be a different story.

Average is not the end all be all. His OBP is usually 90 points higher than his average, which is very valuable.

Now I agree, he isn't worth more than $7M.

Yes, really. People getting hung up on strike outs never ceases to make me laugh. He OPS's over .800, gets on base at a good clip, draws walks, hits for power, and now plays a pretty darn good first base. If he doesn't hit HRs, he still brings his ability to work the count and get on base to the table. I guess that's not "much," but it's a good way to win baseball games.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/av2dUXjarX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

73 walks last year. Not bad. We can expect his HR numbers to return to his career norms. Combine that with defense, and it's more than enough of an argument to bring Mark back at the right price.

He might hit 30 HRs again but he is always likely to be a strikeout king with a team that already has other free swingers. If he could hit for an average it might be a different story.

I am with you, I much prefer guys to hit weak grounders to second and short then those embarrassing strike outs!

Boy was I upset when they let Izturis go!

:rolleyes:

I like Reynolds as a person but the Orioles can and should do better at first base.

I think the Orioles are in a good position with Reynolds. The free agent market is pretty thin at first base. the best potential free agent is Adam Laroche and I doubt if Washington lets him hit the street. After Laroche, the free agent market has guys like Pena, Wigginton, etc. The Orioles can negotiate with Reynolds for a month and offer him arbitration if they can't hammer out a deal. If the Orioles can't swing a trade for a first baseman, they pretty much have Reynolds as a fall back plan.

Batting average and strikeouts, huh? You know, our understanding of baseball has really progressed in the last 30 years. You might want to get on board.

Archived