Save Mark Reynolds

Save-reynolds

I agree with a lot of whats been said. 2/16 sounds reasonable as an offer. With a full, healthy year at 1B, he hits 35-40 HRs at the bottom of our lineup, plays admirable defense, and we all love him.

Remember that although he is streaky, he got white hot at the perfect time for us this year when we really needed to make a push. He's just a guy you want on your team.

Upgrade LF

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say keep Reynolds. He's a better option at 1B than Chris Davis. Davis is a slightly better bet at the plate than Reynolds (fewer walks, higher batting average, similar power projection) but Reynolds is an excellent defensive first baseman, and while Davis could probably be serviceable there, I haven't seen evidence that Davis could be an excellent first baseman.

I've always pooh-poohed the idea that defense at corner positions (1B, LF, RF) is important, but watching this year's O's has changed my mind. The turning point of the O's season was when McLouth became the regular LF, Machado became the regular 3B, and Reynolds became the regular 1B.

I say keep Reynolds. He's a better option at 1B than Chris Davis. Davis is a slightly better bet at the plate than Reynolds (fewer walks, higher batting average, similar power projection) but Reynolds is an excellent defensive first baseman, and while Davis could probably be serviceable there, I haven't seen evidence that Davis could be an excellent first baseman.

I've always pooh-poohed the idea that defense at corner positions (1B, LF, RF) is important, but watching this year's O's has changed my mind. The turning point of the O's season was when McLouth became the regular LF, Machado became the regular 3B, and Reynolds became the regular 1B.

I wonder how many other teams were able to watch the worst defensive team turn into the best defensive team, essentially overnight. It really opened my eyes as to the importance of defense. Even more so than before.

I've always pooh-poohed the idea that defense at corner positions (1B, LF, RF) is important, but watching this year's O's has changed my mind.

The turning point of the O's season was when McLouth became the regular LF,

Machado became the regular 3B, and Reynolds became the regular 1B.

Actually, these events occurred more than 2 months apart. Reynolds became the regular 1st baseman in late May when he came back from injury, and Machado became the regular 3rd baseman on August 9th, when he was called up from AA-Bowie.

To me, our defensive season broke up into thirds.

THE ORIOLE DEFENSE in 2012:

First 1/3 of the season:OO). Awful.

Second 1/3 of the season:O Pretty good (Reynolds took over at 1st base, eliminating 1 of the 2 major defensive holes in the infield.)

Final 1/3 of the season:OO) Very good (Machado took over at 3rd base, eliminating the 1 remaining major defensive hole in the infield.)

O

If the O's let Reynolds walk so they could put Davis at 1B and trade for Butler at DH, I can't say I'd be too upset.

However, if the O's are letting Reynolds walk, they better upgrade or I'll be pissed. I really could see him going to Boston and hitting 35-40 bombs for them. He is a good clubhouse guy and wants to be here. I'm fine for upgrading, but it better be an upgrade.

I'm projecting .280/.360/.580 from Reynolds next year with 45 homers, so we better sign him.

Yeah, unfortunately 255 k's, poor clutch performance, and his consistent failure to advance baserunners will keep his Raving Lunatic Value (RLV) at negative 25 wins.

Yeah, unfortunately 255 k's, poor clutch performance, and his consistent failure to advance baserunners will keep his Raving Lunatic Value (RLV) at negative 25 wins.

I'm not big on Reynolds, but he hit well with runners in scoring position .286 / .389 / .581 / .970, even better with runners in scoring position and 2 outs.

Very simply, if the O's non-tender Reynolds they need to fill his spot with someone better. "Not as good, but cheaper" won't cut it with me. Nor will "may be as good". I like the Sherriff and I'm not interested in replacing him unless it's a clear improvement.

Ditto me.

I would tender him a contract. He is too valuable to let walk. I would offer him a one year contract with a club option. If he doesn't sign it because he doesn't want to give up a year of FA eligible I would try to trade him for something as good or better.

Hopefully he signs a one year contract with the club option. I'm not big on a multi year guaranteed contract for him at this point.

I have nothing against Davis earning an everyday job at 1B but he did not do that defensive last year. I would not want to start next year with Davis as the 1B unless he has earned it. Davis has to show in ST that he can be a above average defensive 1B to win the job. DD can move players during the season.

If the O's let Reynolds walk so they could put Davis at 1B and trade for Butler at DH, I can't say I'd be too upset.

However, if the O's are letting Reynolds walk, they better upgrade or I'll be pissed. I really could see him going to Boston and hitting 35-40 bombs for them. He is a good clubhouse guy and wants to be here. I'm fine for upgrading, but it better be an upgrade.

An upgrade for a similar price in non existent.

Who exactly do you have in mind?

Archived