Antonen: O's have the brightest future in the AL East

Frobby

He voted for Melvin over Showalter, but Antonen's still serving up some home cooking:

At this point, the Orioles, Rays and Blue Jays are the three best in the division. The Yankees are aging and the Red Sox are caught in the middle of rebuilding and reloading.

And who in the AL East has the best future? At this point, it is the Orioles and their young pitching.

The Red Sox have in the outfield, at shortstop and in the bullpen. The Yankees have to deal with a thin rotation and ownership that wants to cut payroll.

The Rays have tons of pitching, but with a limited budget, will they ever have the run production to support the arms?

The Orioles' nucleus of Matt Wieters, Adam Jones, J.J. Hardy, Chris Davis, Nick Markakis and Manny Machado is going to be productive for a long time.

The rotation is loaded with pitchers that could each be better next season. The Orioles don't need to spend money this winter to compete with the Blue Jays.

They need to stay the course, find a left fielder, add a pitcher and keep the defense strong. They could be the pick to win the AL East next season.

But the Blue Jays will be a factor. The new players might work perfectly. If not, the Blue Jays will be dealing with payroll inflexibility for years, making it even better for the Orioles.

http://www.masnsports.com/mel_antonen/2012/11/even-after-potential-blue-jays-blockbuster-os-might-still-have-brightest-future-in-al-east.html

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure he understands just how deep and talented the Blue Jays' system is.

I'm certainly still optimistic about our future, but the Jays should be very good for years to come.

Maybe, I think that Marlins deal could easily blow up their faces. I kinda hope Selig doesn't negate it.

I'm not sure he understands just how deep and talented the Blue Jays' system is.

I'm certainly still optimistic about our future, but the Jays should be very good for years to come.

It is deep enough that they didn't give up the best guys in the Marlins deal.

Of course prospects fail all the time.

It is deep enough that they didn't give up the best guys in the Marlins deal.

Of course prospects fail all the time.

True. I was relieved to see Brett Lawrie take a step back last year. He looked scary good for six weeks in 2011 but was pretty pedestrian in 2012. I still think he'll be an above average player, but hopefully not a superstud as he looked like he might be a year ago. Drabek is another guy who really hasn't panned out for them so far. They do have a pretty deep system and it seems likely that at least some of their top prospects will pan out.

Well, that's pleasant to read but also insane. :D

Maybe not insane, but very optimistic. We do have a relatively young core, still with much uncertainty, especially in the starting rotation. At the end of the day, the pitching will determine whether we flourish or flounder.

I think this was his "mea culpa" article after dissing Showalter in the MOY vote. Honestly, I won't read him after embarrassing Showalter by not voting for him even though he was one of Baltimore's votes. If I were Buck, I wouldn't give the guy the time of day again. No one in the local media wanted to call him out because he's one of them, but I'm not and I don't care. His vote was an embarrassment. Knowing that his vote would be published and still voting against Buck was a slap in the face.

You really think writers should vote for their local guy instead of who they truly believe deserves the award?

Following this line of thought a little bit, isn't there a great deal of rage on this board reserved for the "company men" who support the O's no matter what the facts show? I know I've heard people in this thread use that phrase.

You really think writers should vote for their local guy instead of who they truly believe deserves the award?
Took the words right out of my mouth...

Yes. It is the way is is supposed to be done. Especially when you work for the team. Well 78% of the team.

Who says that's the way it's supposed to be done? And to what degree?

You okay with the NY writers voting for Girardi even if they felt he was third, at best?

I say it is the way it has always been done.

To all degrees when there is any question.

Archived