Antonen: O's have the brightest future in the AL East

Frobby

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm over 50 and a bit cynical so forgive me. Would I have a problem with the vote if the guy spent days pouring over figures, payroll, seasonal results and after agonizing, thought it was close but there was a clear winner? No! Do I think he did that? Hell no! Human beings always act in their own interest, half the time giving lip service to the other side while their mind is already made up. In this case, I think the "I'm national, not just local" argument stated earlier sounds about right to me. Why do it? Because it shows that Antonen is bigger then a beat writer. I'd be willing to bet he didn't do one ounce of research before casting his vote. And, I think he voted to advance his own interests, not out of conscience.

I'm over 50 and a bit cynical so forgive me. Would I have a problem with the vote if the guy spent days pouring over figures, payroll, seasonal results and after agonizing, thought it was close but there was a clear winner? No! Do I think he did that? Hell no! Human beings always act in their own interest, half the time giving lip service to the other side while their mind is already made up. In this case, I think the "I'm national, not just local" argument stated earlier sounds about right to me. Why do it? Because it shows that Antonen is bigger then a beat writer. I'd be willing to bet he didn't do one ounce of research before casting his vote. And, I think he voted to advance his own interests, not out of conscience.

I'm over 50 and don't make assumptions that people do things for the wrong reasons, until there is clear proof.

Ding! Ding! His vote was based on personal interest. He has asperations to be national. A vote for Buck makes him a homer. It's got nothing to do with what he honestly thinks. It's the same with all of these jokers. Self promotion is the game for sports "writers"?

He is "national". He writes for SI and is on Sirius/XM Radio. He was a lead sports/baseball writer for USA Today.

He felt Melvin did a better job considering what he was given to work with.

Listen to his radio interview in which he explains his reason for choosing Melvin. The belief that sports writers need to "root for the home team" is wrong.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/11/14/masn-employee-didnt-vote-for-buck/

He is "national". He writes for SI and is on Sirius/XM Radio. He was a lead sports/baseball writer for USA Today.

He felt Melvin did a better job considering what he was given to work with.

Listen to his radio interview in which he explains his reason for choosing Melvin. The belief that sports writers need to "root for the home team" is wrong.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/11/14/masn-employee-didnt-vote-for-buck/

Are you able to make a case for Girardi?

Are you able to make a case for Girardi?

That kind of changes my thoughts on his vote, just a little bit.

Really odd vote. and that has me wondering why he chose Girardi.

The guy had a $200 million payroll, he was going to be in the playoffs the day the season started unless every single player 1-9 got hurt.

Top 8?

Haven't thought about it.

Ventura 3rd

Maddon 4th

I can see him as high as 5. I don't think anyone after the top 4 really stood out to me. Leyland had a loaded team in a weak division, Ron Washington's Rangers blew a huge lead, the Angels underperformed.

5th seems about right to me.

This thread is awesome.

What's really funny is that everyone admits there's a great case for both Buck and Melvin, but somehow the conclusion keeps coming back to "therefore he should have voted for Buck," not "so I guess I can respect his vote even if it's not what I would have picked."

Archived