BRob Says He's Healthy

luismatos4prez

This is one of the most asinine posts I have ever read. And totally contrary to board rules. There is no basis for the character assassination that appears in this post no matter what you think of whether Roberts will help the team in 2013.

Really? What character assassination? What did I write that couldn't be considered my interpretation of Roberts' last three seasons? What did I write that you are certain isn't factually correct, and can produce evidence to dispute? This is how I see it. I didn't say the guy killed kittens or was a communist spy.

I think his PED use contributed to the fragility/breakdown of his body, aside from the concussions (which were either self-inflicted or simple stupidity), and I don't have a lot of sympathy for this - sorry. My impression and opinion, which I think everyone is allowed to have, is that at times he was just as happy to enjoy his monetary windfall by the pool, and didn't have a strong desire to get back to a team that was a consistent loser (this would fit with human nature). Now he has more motivation to get back, because his contract will be up and the O's have been winning, but I don't want him back and you shouldn't either - he's never been a winner and he's not part of the turnaround the team had last year.

The past and team chemistry aside, I see no reason whatsoever to think he will have a productive season. He's been out and injured, and has only gotten older. He'll be a distraction at spring training and that's not what the O's need. That said, with his contract he'll be there anyway. But I think anyone expecting him to be anything but a hinderence to the Orioles in 2013 is kidding themselves.

I think the responses to my post simply reflect what I noted in conclusion, that the Roberts apologist will go to any lengths to defend him.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? What character assassination? What did I write that couldn't be considered my interpretation of Roberts' last three seasons? What did I write that you are certain isn't factually correct, and can produce evidence to dispute? This is how I see it. I didn't say the guy killed kittens or was a communist spy.

I think his PED use contributed to the fragility/breakdown of his body, aside from the concussions (which were either self-inflicted or simple stupidity), and I don't have a lot of sympathy for this - sorry. My impression and opinion, which I think everyone is allowed to have, is that at times he was just as happy to enjoy his monetary windfall by the pool, and didn't have a strong desire to get back to a team that was a consistent loser (this would fit with human nature). Now he has more motivation to get back, because his contract will be up and the O's have been winning, but I don't want him back and you shouldn't either - he's never been a winner and he's not part of the turnaround the team had last year.

The past and team chemistry aside, I see no reason whatsoever to think he will have a productive season. He's been out and injured, and has only gotten older. He'll be a distraction at spring training and that's not what the O's need. That said, with his contract he'll be there anyway. But I think anyone expecting him to be anything but a hinderence to the Orioles in 2013 is kidding themselves.

I think the responses to my post simply reflect what I noted in conclusion, that the Roberts apologist will go to any lengths to defend him.

I'm not sure how much PED's contributed to his injuries, but the concussion stuff was a lot his own doing.

That being said, calling Roberts a "loser" because he played with bad teams isn't fair. Was Ernie Banks a loser? Roberts put a very good effort out on the field and was one of the few reasons to watch this team a lot of years. If he only cared about collecting a paycheck, he would have never come back last season.

I don't think he'll be a distraction, but I don't think he's going to somehow rebound and be remotely close to the player he once was. I'm guessing he'll either retire or be released after spring training, but I don't think it hurts (since we're paying him) to have him give it a shot.

The man could barely be exposed to daylight for about a year and a half and you question his desire to get back on a baseball field? Wow.

I don't see too many people on the board suggesting he's going to have value in 2013, but that's doesn't mean we shouldn't root for the guy. He played on a lot of horrible Orioles teams over the years, of course he wants to return and prove he can still play, of course he wants to collect another paycheck after 2013, how is that a shot against his character?

Let me guess, you're one of the "he should have given PA his money back so we could spend it on someone else" guys?

The man could barely be exposed to daylight for about a year and a half and you question his desire to get back on a baseball field? Wow.

I don't see too many people on the board suggesting he's going to have value in 2013, but that's doesn't mean we shouldn't root for the guy. He played on a lot of horrible Orioles teams over the years, of course he wants to return and prove he can still play, of course he wants to collect another paycheck after 2013, how is that a shot against his character?

Let me guess, you're one of the "he should have given PA his money back so we could spend it on someone else" guys?

Thanks...you said this with a bit more passion than I did...but I think we're on the same page!

After writing my earlier post in response to you, I went back to read your prior posts, several of which were on the subject of Brian Roberts. Let's just say you have made other posts that managed to convey the same substance about your view of Roberts' play, without stooping to some of the name-calling and snarkiness found in the post to which I was reacting.

Here's the board rule:

5. Posts containing slanderous or otherwise disrespectful messages will be removed. This includes name calling of other posters, Orioles players, coaches, front office personnel, members of the media, or Hangout staff.

I'm not a board moderator, but to me when you call someone a "contract abuser" and say he should "slither back to his mansion in Miami and sun himself by the pool with his model wife on the O's dime, crying injury, like he has the past three years," you're well over the line.

This is how I see it. I didn't say the guy killed kittens or was a communist spy.

That's true. You stopped just short of calling him a traitor to America and humanity. You took a guy who's been a very hard worker and a model citizen of Baltimore for more than a decade and called him a loser, and liar, and cheat. It's despicable.

I think he's going to have a strong season. I say over 260/340/390, 400 PA, 25 SB.

Any takers?

Cindy is obviously with you. And from what I can tell she is the resident expert on Orioles predictions. I don't think anyone else had them winning playoff games in 2012.

After writing my earlier post in response to you, I went back to read your prior posts, several of which were on the subject of Brian Roberts. Let's just say you have made other posts that managed to convey the same substance about your view of Roberts' play, without stooping to some of the name-calling and snarkiness found in the post to which I was reacting.

Here's the board rule:

I'm not a board moderator, but to me when you call someone a "contract abuser" and say he should "slither back to his mansion in Miami and sun himself by the pool with his model wife on the O's dime, crying injury, like he has the past three years," you're well over the line.

Frobby's right, and I am far from a Roberts apologist. We need to be careful about crossing the line of board rule 5. And I am a moderator.

Archived