BRob Says He's Healthy

luismatos4prez

Fair enough. I don't think I was really that close to that line, unless stating an opinion based on what a player has actually done is being disrespectful, but I'll just stay out of the Roberts discussions. It appears he has some fervent backers here, and I wish I shared their optimism for the future and enthusiasm about his past. I just want what is best for our baseball team, I assume like everyone else.

It isn't an issue of there being Roberts "backers". I rip on Roberts more then anyone and I have yet to get a negative rep for it. There is plenty of room to doubt Roberts ability to play MLB baseball at a reasonable level without violating board rules.

For instance mdbdotcom said "His defense is solid, but not great." To which I could reply: Check the stats Robert's defense hasn't been "solid" since 2007.

I myself am worried that if Roberts makes it through ST without being injured he will be gifted a spot in the lineup and that the O's will be at a competitive disadvantage for an indeterminate period of time before they finally come to the inescapable conclusion that he is done. I cite as evidence Buck running him out there everyday last season despite his horrendous play.

I would love to be wrong since getting value out of second base is a much better proposition for the team then the future I am seeing.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isn't an issue of there being Roberts "backers". I rip on Roberts more then anyone and I have yet to get a negative rep for it. There is plenty of room to doubt Roberts ability to play MLB baseball at a reasonable level without violating board rules.

For instance mdbdotcom said "His defense is solid, but not great." To which I could reply: Check the stats Robert's defense hasn't been "solid" since 2007.

I myself am worried that if Roberts makes it through ST without being injured he will be gifted a spot in the lineup and that the O's will be at a competitive disadvantage for an indeterminate period of time before they finally come to the inescapable conclusion that he is done. I cite as evidence Buck running him out there everyday last season despite his horrendous play.

I would love to be wrong since getting value out of second base is a much better proposition for the team then the future I am seeing.

I wouldn't qualify his play as "horrendous", just rusty, the first 10 games weren't awful, and it wasn't like we had Robinson Cano sitting the on the bench not getting playing time. My only beef was Buck consistently putting him in the leadoff spot. Seems to me like you need to let him try to regain his swing at the bottom of the order and gradually move him up. I don't think Brian is going to play unless he's at least moderately effective. There is a certain amount of pride at stake. I imagine that if we're at the end of May and he's struggling to get on base and batting .220 we'll probably hear about some phantom injury and he'll inevitably hang it up. I just hope that if that happens it won't be while he's in the leadoff spot.

I wouldn't qualify his play as "horrendous", just rusty, the first 10 games weren't awful, and it was like we had Robinson Cano sitting the on the bench not getting playing time. My only beef was Buck consistently putting him in the leadoff spot. Seems to me like you need to let him try to regain his swing at the bottom of the order and gradually move him up. I don't think Brian is going to play unless he's at least moderately effective. There is a certain amount of pride at stake. I imagine that if we're at the end of May and he's struggling to get on base and batting .220 we'll probably hear about some phantom injury and he'll inevitably hang it up. I just hope that if that happens it won't be while he's in the leadoff spot.

He put up -1 WAR in only 17 games.

That is horrendous in my book.

He put up -1 WAR in only 17 games.

That is horrendous in my book.

So if Brian never had any hip issues, how long before you would have pulled the plug? Personally, I feel like he didn't get enough MiL AB's, never should have been batting leadoff, and probably would have given him another 40 or so games w/o significant progress before putting a fork in him.

So if Brian never had any hip issues, how long before you would have pulled the plug? Personally, I feel like he didn't get enough MiL AB's, never should have been batting leadoff, and probably would have given him another 40 or so games w/o significant progress before putting a fork in him.

I am not the person you should be asking.

I wouldn't have played him in the majors without more time in the minors. I also wouldn't have hit him leadoff. I certainly wouldn't have played him every day. I would have attempted to buy out his last two years last offseason.

I am not the person you should be asking.

I wouldn't have played him in the majors without more time in the minors. I also wouldn't have hit him leadoff. I certainly wouldn't have played him every day. I would have attempted to buy out his last two years last offseason.

I don't understand the embolden sentence. How could the Orioles have bought out his last 2 years? Roberts would have no reason to accept less than what he is owed, would he?

I don't understand the embolden sentence. How could the Orioles have bought out his last 2 years? Roberts would have no reason to accept less than what he is owed, would he?

Didn't say I would have succeeded.

I would have made him an offer with deferred monies. Say 30 million over the next 15 years. In the long run Roberts has a guaranteed source of income for the next 15 years and still has the chance to play with another team. The O's get immediate payroll flexibility.

Outside of making it to the playoffs of course, I can't think of too much more that I would rather see than B-Rob playing second base again and using that arm.

I'm not going to be pessimistic about it, I just hope that he can make it back.

tumblr_m9yls1FiF81qbj4v1o1_400.gif

had to.

oompa loompa do-ba-dee-do...

• 3 months later...
I'm going to make a really reaching prediction and say that Roberts comes back really strong. I'm talking .800+ and average defense strong. It's one of those, it's-just-so-crazy it's going to happen kind of things. I'll bump this post at some point next year to collect my pats on the back:)

Just bumping this old post from November to keep track of it throughout the season for periodic bumps.:o

Archived